Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 04-22-2008, 04:13 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers unlikely to trade up in NFL draft

Steelers unlikely to trade up in NFL draft
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert raised the possibility of trading out of the No. 23 spot to acquire more picks in this weekend's NFL Draft.
Unlike previous drafts, Colbert said the Steelers won't trade up in the first round to acquire a player they really like.

"Being that we only have six (draft) picks at this point, trading up in the first round is really not a likely scenario," Colbert said Monday at the team's South Side facility in the media session prior to the April 26-27 draft. "In other years, I would always say, 'Hey, we could go up, we could go down.' But realistically, I don't think we can go up.

"Trading down is definitely an inviting option," Colbert said, "because there's a lot of players in rounds two, three, four that could help this team, and the more picks we can get in any of those areas the better off we're going to be."

Colbert said the Steelers will make their six draft selections from a final list of 160 players that was pared down from an original 1,000 prospects.
Calling it a "very strong" draft, Colbert was reluctant to pinpoint who the Steelers are targeting in the first round.

For starters, the Steelers aren't in the business of revealing their draft secrets to the rest of the NFL. For another, Colbert said the top of this year's draft remains a mystery.

In fact, Colbert said this draft could be as unpredictable as any in recent memory.

Whether he was referring to trades or teams making surprising picks, Colbert left the door open for several different scenarios leading up to the Steelers' selection at No. 23.

Some of the players who could be on the Steelers' first-round wish list include North Carolina defensive tackle Kentwan Balmer, Boston College tackle Gosder Cherilus, Auburn defensive end/linebacker Quentin Groves, Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart and Oklahoma receiver Malcolm Kelly.

"This is one draft, at this stage, I don't think we've got a handle on a position or one player," Colbert said. "Sometimes you can get that feel. But this year I think there's going to be a lot of variables that's going to happen in front of us. We're not going to lock our knees. We'll be very flexible and try to adjust accordingly."

Refusing to discuss specific players, Colbert said the draft is unusually deep at tackle, with versatile linemen who can play right and left tackle, and others who who can play tackle and guard. The draft is also strong at running back and cornerback, Colbert said.

Colbert said the Steelers won't pass on a player in the first round just because there are other good players at that position.

"We're never going to pass a good player feeling that we're going to get another good player somewhere down the line," Colbert said. "If we really like him, we better take him where we like him.

"I think there's a lot of kids that can go in the second or third rounds that could definitely help us. Some of those kids may get picked in the first round."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_563601.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 05:01 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,902 Times in 1,636 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Steelers unlikely to trade up in NFL draft

I don't really see no reason for trading up we have alot of needs and only six picks.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:09 AM   #3
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

We dont have enough picks to trade up in the first.

But dont rule trading up in the lower rounds to get a targeted player. Colbert has a history of doing it.
Old 04-22-2008, 07:15 AM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

I would look for them to try and trade down in the 1st or 2nd. I hope everything plays out right and Atl. will want to trade up into the 1st.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:40 AM   #5
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

i hope they do to.. b/c hopefully atl drafts dorsey and needs to get a qb later.. and they'll have to move up..
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:35 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 3,494 Times in 1,652 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
i hope they do to.. b/c hopefully atl drafts dorsey and needs to get a qb later.. and they'll have to move up..
Only if "Their Guy" is likely gone in the first. I think with Brohm, Henne and Flacco .....maybe Booty, there will be a decent QB at the top of the 2nd.

Kind of like the Chargers drafting Drew Brees in the 2nd round.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 12:21 PM   #7
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Only if "Their Guy" is likely gone in the first. I think with Brohm, Henne and Flacco .....maybe Booty, there will be a decent QB at the top of the 2nd.

Kind of like the Chargers drafting Drew Brees in the 2nd round.
You would think with everything they went through with Vick, they must have a special someone in mind. I can't see them just waiting around to see who they will draft when thier pick rolls around. At least let's hope!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:01 PM   #8
VTsteel
Starter

Member Number: 8161

F.W.I. - Here is the link to Kevin Colberts Press conf.

http://www.post-gazette.com/multimedia/?videoID=100469