Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Johnson: 'I don't feel that we can compete'

Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis called Chad Johnson's bluff earlier this week, saying the Pro Bowl receiver should make good on his promise to sit out the season.

"I've stated our case with Chad," Lewis said. "He has a contract through 2011. He's stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn't going to play. I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play."

"I will take the criticism," Johnson said. "I will stick by my guns, and I will not be there. I feel things need to be done to make this team better. I don't blame Marvin Lewis. I love him. You have never heard me say one bad thing about my coaches or teammates. I know it's not up to Coach Lewis. Whether I'm traded, or if we get better players, is not up to him. If it was up to Coach Lewis, then he would do it."

Since the end of last season, Johnson has been lobbying for a trade even though he agreed to a long-term deal with the Bengals two years ago, when the Bengals went 11-5 and won the AFC North. But the team has struggled since, finishing 8-8 in 2006 and 7-9 last season, and missing the playoffs both years.

"What's changed for me is that I don't feel that we can compete," Johnson said. "Look at Cleveland and what they are doing to win. The Patriots and Indianapolis are going for a ring every year. When going for a ring, it all starts at the top. We need to do more and bring in more. We're staying the same. Yes, we have good players, but we need great players. We need defense. They say the money is tied up on offense; I'm not buying it. Look at others teams who are doing it, like Cleveland."

The Browns went 6-10 in 2005 and 4-12 in 2006 before surging to 10-6 and just missing a playoff berth last season.

Johnson's production has remained consistent despite the team's decline. He caught 97 passes for 1,432 yards and nine touchdowns in 2005; 87 passes for 1,369 yards and seven touchdowns in 2006; and 93 passes for 1,440 yards and eight touchdowns last season. However, he acknowledged that a number of dropped passes last season affected not only the team's performance but his own emotional state.

"(Last year) wasn't a good year for me, and it's killing me," Johnson said. "I asked my coaches, 'Is it me, or am I just that bad?' I dropped balls against Buffalo and San Francisco that could have been game-changing plays. I was in tears trying to find answers to why I was playing so bad. I've raised the bar so high that 1,400 yards, eight TDs are no longer enough."

The Bengals pick ninth overall in this weekend's NFL Draft, and Johnson said he expects the team to pick a wide receiver.

"I already know how the draft is going to play out," he said. "DT first, wide receiver second, DB third. But you can draft as many wide receivers as you want to, but you will never get another Chad. I know I'm emotional, but I will give you everything I got. I've lived for this game since I was 4 years old. I don't drink, I don't smoke or get into trouble."

When the Bengals drafted Johnson in the second round in 2001, the team had endured 10 consecutive seasons in which 8-8 was their high-water mark. Johnson told Wilcots he welcomed the challenge of helping turn the franchise around.

"On draft day 2001, I said to myself, 'Please don't let me go to a team that is already established,' " he said. "I wanted to resurrect the team and the town. I play for the people who sat in those stands for 14 losing seasons and to restore the pride you once had of wearing Bengal stripes."

Nevertheless, he said that when September rolls around and the Bengals take the field for their season opener at Baltimore, he does not expect to be wearing a Cincinnati uniform.

"By September, I could be on someone's set shooting a movie," he said. "I'm currently working on projects. I could be doing my reality show, which is in the works. I love a challenge, and I have projects before me that are challenging and will keep me busy and allow me to take care of myself without football. So what you're telling me is that I can't eat without playing for you? That's a challenge.

"I love this game and will give everything for it. I can't get married, because I'd get divorced from September to January. I'm too afraid to fail to allow anything to come before football. But now, my love of the game is being used against me."
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 06:27 PM   #2
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Johnson: 'I don't feel that we can compete'

Christ. Now all the nitwits who want him to be a Steeler will be crawling out of the woodwork claiming that these few words somehow negate all the thousands of actions that show who he REALLY is.

Now Chad is a great guy who is just misunderstood? Bullshit. This is exactly how the fox slips into the chicken house.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Who really wants a disgruntled player like this on your team? I would not want him there if he didnt want to be there. The Bengals are making a mistake in my opinion not trading him to the Redskins.. they offered this years 1st and 3rd and next years 1st or something and the Bungals said NO... are you kidding me?... what a joke for an organization...
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Johnson: 'I don't feel that we can compete
took him 7 years to find that out?? he is a knucklehead

the bungles suck....
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2008, 11:56 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,947 Times in 3,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
took him 7 years to find that out?? he is a knucklehead

the bungles suck....
lol.

lemme guess.... he would rather "flip burgers" than play for the bengals again.

Quote:
"By September, I could be on someone's set shooting a movie," he said. "I'm currently working on projects. I could be doing my reality show, which is in the works.
its gonna be called either "flava of love, ocho cinquo" or "are you smarter than a 3rd grader".
Old 04-26-2008, 02:05 AM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

he just doesnt want to face ike twice a year.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:13 AM   #7
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,305 Times in 1,405 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

We don't need that cry baby.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 07:27 AM   #8
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Here in Cinci, Chad is the best show in town. Step right up, folks, get your tickets to the Chad Johnson show. Included in the fee is your raffle ticket for that shiney new Lexus.

Oh .......wait........he gave that one to his girlfriend.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 10:57 AM   #9
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

The Bengals are the biggest mess in the NFL. Worse than the Dolphins and the Bills. They're cursed with being an afterthough in football crazy Ohio. Hell, most of the folks I work with from Ohio call the Bengals Kentucky's team anyway. They have one of the 2 or 3 worst owners in the NFL. They have a head coach who's lost almost all of his credibility in the last few years. And now one of their best players wants out.

The Bengals really need to cut their losses at this point and trade Chad. The Redskins and Cowboys both want him, so they should do the right thing for the franchise and get rid of him.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 11:02 AM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
"On draft day 2001, I said to myself, 'Please don't let me go to a team that is already established,' " he said. "I wanted to resurrect the team and the town. I play for the people who sat in those stands for 14 losing seasons and to restore the pride you once had of wearing Bengal stripes."
Quote:
"What's changed for me is that I don't feel that we can compete," Johnson said.
How the tune has changed. Careful what you ask for, because you just might get it. Tool.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote