Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 04-27-2008, 01:26 AM   #11
Hypocycloid
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8450
Default Re: Tomlin High on Mendenhall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
trade down or trade up.

picking BPA in a position that doesn't need an upgrade is puzzling. there is a very good chance that mendenhall won't see the field for 3 or more years.

I respectfully disagree with you and so does Willie Parker who asked for another RB to be drafted to extend his career. Were you watching any of the games after FWP went down? Did you see Jacksonville's one-two punch at running back? How about the Giant's two back system? Most NFL teams have gone to two back systems and usually try to have quality backups! One back systems--St. Louis, San Diego, Indy, KC, that's what makes their rbs such great fantasy backs, but there are less and less of them every year. But remember that Indy , KC, and St. Louis all had injuries to their running backs. RB is the most injury prone position. There was definitely a need there, but no one expected them to address it that high. Sure there is a definite need at DL and OL but it would have likely been depth anyway. If they were to move up, they would have lost a key pick this year to address other needs, maybe two picks. You and the Steelers weren't certain where all of the OT's were going to go anyway. They aren't clairvoyant, and we have the fortune of 20/20 hindsight. I am sure that the Steelers were sure that someone of value would slip to them, whether it be a DE, OL, or Cornerback. They just never envisioned such a value at RB! Mendenhall will not sit for three years, that's crazy. He is going to split time with parker and get goal line carries.
Hypocycloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:55 AM   #12
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,067 Times in 1,296 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

A player of his caliber we couldn't afford to pass him up davenport isn't the answer if something happened to willie atleast we have depth at running back now.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:20 AM   #13
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Trade up? The best our 3 rounder could have gotten us was Baker, and I didn't want him with our 1st, let alone our 1st and 3rd. Trading down would not have gotten us the OT we needed, only what we will be getting anyway, a usable backup.

Mendenhall will not start for us, but I bet he gets close to half the plays each game, and will be there if Willy get hurt agine. Sweed is our # 3 WR right now, and will keep us from having to over use an aging Ward.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:17 AM   #14
BigBen2WardPITT
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypocycloid View Post
I respectfully disagree with you and so does Willie Parker who asked for another RB to be drafted to extend his career. Were you watching any of the games after FWP went down? Did you see Jacksonville's one-two punch at running back? How about the Giant's two back system? Most NFL teams have gone to two back systems and usually try to have quality backups! One back systems--St. Louis, San Diego, Indy, KC, that's what makes their rbs such great fantasy backs, but there are less and less of them every year. But remember that Indy , KC, and St. Louis all had injuries to their running backs. RB is the most injury prone position. There was definitely a need there, but no one expected them to address it that high. Sure there is a definite need at DL and OL but it would have likely been depth anyway. If they were to move up, they would have lost a key pick this year to address other needs, maybe two picks. You and the Steelers weren't certain where all of the OT's were going to go anyway. They aren't clairvoyant, and we have the fortune of 20/20 hindsight. I am sure that the Steelers were sure that someone of value would slip to them, whether it be a DE, OL, or Cornerback. They just never envisioned such a value at RB! Mendenhall will not sit for three years, that's crazy. He is going to split time with parker and get goal line carries.
Yea I completely agree. Does everyone forget that we had a two back system when we won the superbowl? Since then, the running game has been on and off. I like the pick. Sure the OL and DL are big needs, but you can find a lot of quality OL and DL-men on day two.

Just got a OLB, Bruce Davis

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/...r%3fid%3d12173

I dunno anything about him. But we can always use another LB in Pittsburgh.

[From ESPN draft tracker]
Erik (Grand Rapids): Do you think it was smart for the Steelers to pick a LB instead of a OG?

Scouts, Inc.'s Ken Moll: Erik, The Steelers need both positions and they took who they felt was the best Value at the time.

DM (Maryland): What's your take on the Felix Jones vs Mendenhall debate on who Jerry Jones picked at 22? Should Mendenhall have been the pick?

Scouts, Inc.'s Ken Moll: DM, both are good backs but different runing styles. Jones has more speed and a better compliment to Barber. Mendenhall will be a great compliment to Parker as he is more of a hardnosed downhill, between the tackles runner (though he can get to the edge). Both Clubs appeared to make the best choice for their respective team needs.
Old 04-27-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Wasn't expection an OLB here, but Davis could become a very good one. Round 4 has got to be a DL or OL dosn't it?

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:25 PM   #16
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haiku_Dirtt View Post
But Stewert faced a dismantled version of the defense that turned Zook's squad upside down. There were perhaps two flashes of Mendenhall where he made the USC defense look like Division II - no worse, like the Buckeye defense
I am SO glad USC took the home/home with the Buckeyes. You are a one trick pony constantly blasting the Bucks. What will your excuse be if the Trojans drop the game next year in their own backyard? Injuries? Conspiracy? Space Aliens? The fact of the matter is, the Trojans choke far worse than the Bucks. Look at all the high USC draft picks this year. All that talent, and they choke like little bitches every single year. I still have Stanford beating them IN THEIR OWN HOUSE as the most embarrassing loss of all time. Appy State beating Michigan pales in comparison because they are a quality opponent, albeit D1-AA. Stanford was just awful last year. Awful.

The Buckeye bashing got old a year ago...
Old 04-28-2008, 03:50 AM   #17
steeler dude
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3223

are you guys bling there was 6 o-line players taken before the steelers picked should we have taken the 7th best o- lineman for our first round ?
Old 04-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #18
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Tomlin and the team, IMO, wanted to bring in another highly rated RB to help analyze the O-line. I think there is a question about FWPs vision as a RB. I honestly believe the team feels the O-line is better than what the stats have shown. There is a theory that both FWP and Ben aren't the easiest to block for. Mendenhall will be a variable in analyzing that theory.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
OneForTheToe
Living Legend

Member Number: 2408

Quote:
Tomlin High on Mendenhall
Maybe they should send him to rehab ... but he'll probably say no, no , no.....
OneForTheToe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 11:37 AM   #20
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,624 Times in 813 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeler dude View Post
are you guys bling there was 6 o-line players taken before the steelers picked should we have taken the 7th best o- lineman for our first round ?
There was actually 7 O line prospects taken and I'm glad the Steelers didnt reach for the 8th in Duane Brown like Houston did. The only other pick that made sense was Balmer at that point.

I'm an admitted O-line pimp as I used to play it and still coach O-line and attend coaching clinics......I'm glad they didnt reach for an O lineman after what happened, but would have liked to see Anthony Collins in the 3rd or 4th.

Mendenhall will be amazing!! The guy is similar in size and speed to Ladanian Tomlinson. He's no LT, but a great powerful compliment to Parker and a guy that might take Parker's job in a few years.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote