Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-27-2008, 02:17 PM   #1
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4779
Default Interesting bite from Zierlein on Faneca's Replacement

This was on Steelers.com buried in the Tony Hills conference call. I think this sheds a little more light on the OL draft strategy.

http://news.steelers.com/article/88790/

"Coach, we havenít talked to you since Alan Faneca left. What are your thoughts on him moving on, and potential guys to replace him at that left guard spot?"

LZ-- Chris is going to get the shot. Iíll tell you what, I have a lot of confidence in that guy. Aside from the physical thing, heís a big kid. He was ready to play last year. He was ready, and Kendall kind of won the thing, but it was close. When we came out of training camp, preseason games, the grades were close. But this kid is ready to play. The thing that I told him the other day, ďItís obvious to me, when you see blitzes, you understand it all. Just become a little more verbal.Ē He understands things. I like him, I really do like him. I think heís going to be a good player.

"After watching Max last year itís usually rare that a guyís better at left tackle then right. Do you think heís possibly better as a left tackle?"

LZ--Well hereís what you have to understand about Max you know the one thing that happened with him is that we had to take care of Marvel (Smith) in pre-season. Max had worked strictly at right tackle hardly any left and Marvel would play a few snaps and then we would put Max over there and Max didnít look very good and itís because he hadnít been there. But to his credit throughout the season as he was not even playing he was working and he was working his techniques. If you can remember what he looked like in pre-season compared to what he looked like at the end of the season when he was called on or what he looked like in these two OTAs we have had, which I know you all havenít seen he has improved substantially his techniques and I think he is better on the right and left side now. We have tried to change some things and heís gone along with it and itís helped him. He played left side in college and he can play the left side, but for me to say heís more of a left side guy then a right side guy I donít know for sure but I do have confidence in him on both sides.

IMO....If Kemo is really our next left guard then the FO probably feels set at the interior line, or at least that they feel that they have personnel that are better than anyone they could draft this year. Also the comment on Starks looks as though they will try to keep him long term as they would be hard pressed to find someone who can start at either tackle position and would at a minimum give them another option if Marvel is unable to play. Hills brings some additional talent and competetion in that area as well.

They have so much flexibility with guys who can play multiple OL positions that they really need to get player and positions set ASAP. LZ should know exactly what he has now, so we should see the line shaping up quickly.
yinzer-inseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:21 PM   #2
JanBr7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8469
Default Re: Interesting bite from Zierlein on Faneca's Replacement

That is quite interesting. Based on how under-concerned they were about drafting for the o-line, I knew that there had to be players available to them for the O-line that they were excited about -- didn't realize til I read that how excited the are about Kemo. Thanks for sharing that -- sheds some light.
JanBr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:34 PM   #3
faneca05
Banned

Member Number: 5267

I think they need to stop moving people around and let them learn one position instead of making them play two or three different ones.
faneca05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:37 PM   #4
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

I don't think they make them. They've stranegly enough stockpiled guys with that ability. Either way I agree with you, they need to settle on who will play where and let those guys sync up right away.
Old 04-27-2008, 02:53 PM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Quote:
Originally Posted by faneca05 View Post
I think they need to stop moving people around and let them learn one position instead of making them play two or three different ones.
I agree 1000% faneca05
If they would just select a spot and let them learn'em. I dissagreed with that all last offseason and still feel that way. Tomlin and Co. should know that without having to listen to us wouldnt you think?
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #6
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I understand the whole NOT drafting OG in this draft so far
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:00 PM   #7
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanBr7 View Post
-- didn't realize til I read that how excited the are about Kemo. Thanks for sharing that -That is quite interesting. Based on how under-concerned they were about drafting for the o-line, I knew that there had to be players available to them for the O-line that they were excited about- sheds some light.
Maybe Kemo is a late bloomer. What he did at Utah is far from materializing in B&G because I've been waiting for 3 years to see "nasty road grazer."

Were they under-concerned or facing reality that anyone we could draft would be anything but an improvement? Hopefully it's either rather than a bad case of wishful thinking.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #8
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
I agree 1000% faneca05
If they would just select a spot and let them learn'em. I dissagreed with that all last offseason and still feel that way. Tomlin and Co. should know that without having to listen to us wouldnt you think?
But who hasn't been given ample time to prove they can play? Certainly not Simmons or Starks. Maybe Kemo.

And the really big question mark behind the really really big question mark....what's up with Marvel Smith's 'injury'?
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
yinzer-inseattle
Bench Warmer

The take on the 2008 draft was that guard and center positions were not strong or deep. So at best we would have taken a guy who had to sit for a few years before starting.... we've already been sitting on potential waiting for it to materialize. No need to prolong the agony. I think we still need to draft a top quality G and C, looks like that will have to wait for 2009.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
Steeldude
Living Legend

is beating out simmons or colon really that big of a deal?

the only issue with kemo i can recall was his inability to learn the playbook.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote