Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Draft

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 04-27-2008, 05:33 PM   #1
fire
Water Boy

Member Number: 8470
Default Dennis Dixon

I am here on friendly terms for a post (Im not a Steelers fan).

A couple of months ago I heard an interview with Dennis Dixon on espn. I checked to see who drafted him (and you came up) because I think you guys got a good deal on this guy. Not only does he have really great numbers, but he is young and with a website dedicated to documenting his ACL recovery, he seems very confident he can return to form.

A bunch of guys are great players coming out of this draft but that aside, what struck me about this guy is his personality. What a down to earth, humble yet confident, true human being with leadership written all over him. I wish you guys could hear the interview....I really think you got a gem there.

A bit extra....I have worked for 3 major sports teams for the past 17 years. I have seen personalities out the ying yang. Im not saying Im a know it all or a scout or anything, but this guy is special.

Cheers!
fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Re: Dennis Dixon

I like the kid a lot. I thought he would have gone a lot higher had it not been for that ACL injury.

I think he's got a lot of upside and will be a good player given the chance.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:43 PM   #3
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire View Post
I am here on friendly terms for a post (Im not a Steelers fan).

A couple of months ago I heard an interview with Dennis Dixon on espn. I checked to see who drafted him (and you came up) because I think you guys got a good deal on this guy. Not only does he have really great numbers, but he is young and with a website dedicated to documenting his ACL recovery, he seems very confident he can return to form.

A bunch of guys are great players coming out of this draft but that aside, what struck me about this guy is his personality. What a down to earth, humble yet confident, true human being with leadership written all over him. I wish you guys could hear the interview....I really think you got a gem there.

A bit extra....I have worked for 3 major sports teams for the past 17 years. I have seen personalities out the ying yang. Im not saying Im a know it all or a scout or anything, but this guy is special.

Cheers!
Do you know if Dixon has put baseball behind him or is that still a potential alternative if he tells the Steelers his position is QB and not WR/Slash?
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,053 Times in 2,602 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Do you know if Dixon has put baseball behind him or is that still a potential alternative if he tells the Steelers his position is QB and not WR/Slash?
i believe i heard from an interview on sirius that he had given up BB altogether and that his focus was nfl.

and for what its worth from ken anderson-
http://news.steelers.com/article/88793/

Quote:
It was not imperative to take a quarterback in this draft can you explain why you took Dennis Dixon?

I think hes a nice-sized quarterback, one whos been very productive. His last two years in college he had a high-completion percentage. Great touchdown-to-interception ratio. Hes very athletic, and hes somebody that we think can come in and compete for the third spot.

What do you think of his mechanics?

I think theyre pretty good. Hes had some big games, he throws the ball down the field. I think hes a young guy with a lot of potential.

Any plans for him to be a receiver?

No, were looking at him as a quarterback.
Old 04-27-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

That's great to know. I hope he has the talent to match. I can't name too many college QBs who made much of a dent in the pros at a different position; Randle-El, but he's just OK. Who else, or am I having a brain fart?

Hip, you beat me to the post with that quote. That brings up, why use a draft pick for a 3 QB? The FO must not have thought very highly of the remaining talent.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:19 PM   #6
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,667 Times in 2,620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
That's great to know. I hope he has the talent to match. I can't name too many college QBs who made much of a dent in the pros at a different position; Randle-El, but he's just OK. Who else, or am I having a brain fart?

Hip, you beat me to the post with that quote. That brings up, why use a draft pick for a 3 QB? The FO must not have thought very highly of the remaining talent.
Maybe not Tom, but there had to be somebody on the board who was worth a reach at CB DL or OL. The Steelers are not grooming a QB replacement for #7.

Drafting Dixon as a back-up QB makes no sense. As a #5 pick, Dixon will not get a long contract, apparently may not even get off IR in 2008, and if he has any plans to play QB presumably will bolt in a few years to wherever he gets a shot as a starter unless disaster strikes and the Steelers $100 million dollar investment at QB has crashed.

This pick is even more mystifying the more i read about it.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
St33lersguy
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8456

I like the pick. It is a great choice. A strong heisman candidate, had Oregon on track to an appearance in the BCS championship game while he was healthy, very athletic. If it wasn't for the injury he might have been top 10. This guy certainly has the potential to step in if big ben and Batch get injured and do well.
St33lersguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #8
fire
Water Boy

Member Number: 8470

Click Dennis Dixon on Thursday (about halfway down page)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/dan...ws/index2.html

Classy, level headed, I hope he gets a chance someday (and no more baseball)

Last edited by fansince'76; 04-27-2008 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Fixed link for new poster.
fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 08:50 PM   #9
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
Batch is really starting to look old. I think that is why you bring in Zab.?..?? and Dixon. The good news is if Dixon turns out to be half the player people think he could be.... in 2 years we will be trading him for 1st-2nd round pick. Where we will probably need to take a stud safety.
Exactly. If Ben goes down, the season is over because Batch is old and Zabransky sucks.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Hypocycloid
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8450

They picked him because they know if he were to ride a motorcycle, he would wear a helmat!
Hypocycloid is offline   Reply With Quote