Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:23 PM   #1
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579
Default Caleb Campbell

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks...t&lid=tab1pos2

My favorite storyline

April 27, 2008 5:30 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Matt Mosley

When the Lions selected Army safety Caleb Campbell in the seventh round Sunday, the crowd at Radio City Music City Hall erupted into a "U-S-A" chant. Campbell is attempting to become the first football player to take advantage of a recently implemented rule by the U.S. Military Academy that allows athletes to play professional sports immediately upon graduation.

In a somewhat awkward moment, Campbell used my seat during an impromptu interview session. The Perryton, Texas native said he was hesitant to show up because he didn't know if he'd be drafted, but his agent convinced him to make an appearance. He wore his military uniform, which consisted of dark gray pants and a white short-sleeve shirt displaying his rank. And just after he fielded a phone call from Lions GM Matt Millen, Campbell appeared on the ESPN set with Trey Wingo and company. As he made his way into the auditorium, Wingo, Ron Jaworski and Chris Mortensen applauded.

"This is unbelievable," said the 6-foot-2, 229-pound Campbell, who was wearing a Lions cap. "It gives me goose bumps."

I asked Campbell whether he'd received any backlash from former cadets regarding his unique situation.

"I've heard some of that," said Campbell, who was recently featured on ESPN's "E:60." "It's tough for me because as an officer, I trained to take a platoon into battle. It was initially sort of a tough thing, but who's to say I can't still have a career as an officer?"

We had a nice discussion going until some reporter demanded to know who Campbell was supporting in the upcoming presidential election. He wisely responded, "No comment."

Campbell said he hopes to "show a lot of people who are skeptical about the academy's policy that this can really be good."

What kind of player will he be?

Well, Campbell could add some weight to his frame and play outside linebacker or he could lose a little weight and play strong safety. He's a punishing hitter who does a nice job against the run. The Lions will have to find a way to keep him from getting exposed in coverage.

On his off day, which is normally Tuesday in the NFL, he'll be required to speak to local high schools about opportunities in the Army. Say what you will, but I think it's a great move by the powers that be at West Point. Campbell could end up having a major impact on the recruitment of soldiers.

And if high school athletes realize they have a shot at playing professional football, more of them will consider playing for Army. On a second day that held very little drama, Campbell provided a nice storyline.

For all the criticism that Millen has taken, he should be praised for this pick
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #2
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Caleb Campbell

this is my unfavorite storyline.. he made a commintment to serve his country and now he is gonna undermine it and go to the nfl?? what does this show to kids.. oh if ur an athlete u can get out of anything??? look at roger staubach, rocky blier they were in the military and served even tho they were in the nfl...
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:03 AM   #3
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517

I'm gonna have to agree with yoder on this one...

If you join the military, you're siging a check payable to the U.S.A. of your service and up to your life.

Athletes can get away with anything these days. All we have to do is look at the Bengals and the Ravens to find that out.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:50 AM   #4
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Remember, David Robinson was the first one to do this back when he got his career with the Spurs.

The only thing I can say is that the example should be Pat Tillman. The man left sports to be in the military - now that's leadership!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:20 AM   #5
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Remember, David Robinson was the first one to do this back when he got his career with the Spurs.

The only thing I can say is that the example should be Pat Tillman. The man left sports to be in the military - now that's leadership!!!
Robinson served two years active duty and then served out the rest of his term as a reservist.

Bryce Fisher of the Tennessee Titans attended the Air Force Academy and did the same thing. Last time I read anything about him, he was still a member of the Guard.
Old 04-29-2008, 10:34 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

Well, being a 7th rounder, there's certainly no guarantee he'll make the roster. However, it does frost me a bit that this guy got the benefits of a free college education complements of the taxpayer with the caveat that he owed his country (in this case the Army) 5 years of service upon completion of that education, and now he doesn't have to honor that commitment. Staubach wasn't too good to serve his 5 years in the Navy and he won the Heisman. What makes this kid so special?
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

all he is doing is taking advantage of a clause the academy put into place. and they did so thinking that it would help them get better football players to come to the military academies. nothing wrong with taking advantage of something that is there. its not like he is AWOL.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,410 Times in 511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
all he is doing is taking advantage of a clause the academy put into place. and they did so thinking that it would help them get better football players to come to the military academies. nothing wrong with taking advantage of something that is there. its not like he is AWOL.
So following that vein, I guess Harvard and Yale should relax their academic standards so they can get better football players? There are hundreds of colleges in this country besides service academies a kid can attend if they want to be a jock first and foremost.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:42 AM   #9
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

but still like what 76 said.. he went to college 4 FREE.. and then the gov spent money on him to be trained as a slodier.. i just don't think its right.. u made a commintment u should keep with it....

yeah.. i mean this kid chose to go there.. he knew what he was doing.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #10
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
The military is better of without this kid in uniform. The military is looking for men of honor to lead troops. If this young man wants to waste his training, then he has no place on the field of battle.