Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Steelers Draft Central > ** The War Room 2012 **

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 04-28-2008, 02:57 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,089 Times in 3,075 Posts
Question Question on Mendenhalls draft grade

how does his grade entering the draft compare to some recent picks?

steven jackson
ronnie brown, cedric benson
joseph addai, lawrence maroney

maroney and addai went late, and brown and benson went early. of course willie went undrafted and cadillac williams was a top 5 pick.

anyone have anything to substantiate jackson hope or benson worry?

of course im not hoping for adrian peterson, but some had rashard rated higher than mcfadden who is being called this years best player.

how does he compare to the grades the 5 above received?
Old 04-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
Steelers43fan
Water Boy

Member Number: 6499
Default Re: Question on Mendenhalls draft grade

I glad we got the back we did. He's a better combination back than any in the draft. As the whole package he's the best, and yes I live in SEC country and get to See Mcfadden all the time.
He is a top 12 pick at worst.
Steelers43fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,896 Times in 948 Posts

I dont think he is Jackson...different kind of back. but think he is better than Addai and every other back on that list.

He has somewhere around 4.4 speed so he can run away, but is built similar to Ladanian Tomlinson and can run inside with power.

Like most young RB's, I think he will have to learn to be patient and wait for his block to develop, but the positive thing is he has that 2nd gear to hit the hole when the block is made. That and he can make the guy miss in the open field.

Look at it this way....he is a more complete RB than Willie Parker was in 2005 IMO. We got a good one.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:35 AM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

It's not really fair to compare to those backs to Mendenhall because of the roles they're going to be asked to play on their teams.

The fellas you listed were all drafted with the idea of them varrying th mail for their teams in their rookie seasons. Rashard is going to be asked to take some of the load off of Willie and extend his career a couple of years.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,896 Times in 948 Posts

Jackson was behind Faulk as a rookie. Maroney behind Dillon and Benson behind Jones on their respective depth chart. Only Brown and Addai were expected to get the bulk of their carries as a rookie.

The question was really about draft grade and how they compare...not playing situations.

I think some had Mendenhall with a high grade, some had him as the #1 or #2 back. I personally think McFadden and Jones are outside speed runners, Stewart and Mendenhall more powerful inside runners.

Others have questions because he only had one season as a feature back. I think his game is the best suited to the NFL of the other 3 drafted before him.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
faneca05
Banned

Member Number: 5267

I don't think mendenhall is just a power runner. I think he has the speed and athletic ability to run outside and make big plays.
faneca05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:58 AM   #7
changAlang24
Water Boy

Member Number: 8140

Mendenhall IMO was the best overall back in terms of being able to catch, block, run between the tackles, and break away in the open field.

I honestly had him higher than McFadden overall, who I see as a one trick pony.

Mendenhall is a more complete back who should definitely compliment Willie well. I see them combining for well over 2,000 yrds this season and becoming the back of the future in the Steel city.
Old 05-13-2008, 03:15 AM   #8
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by changAlang24 View Post
Mendenhall IMO was the best overall back in terms of being able to catch, block, run between the tackles, and break away in the open field.

I honestly had him higher than McFadden overall, who I see as a one trick pony.
i'd have to disagree that mcfadden was a one trick pony.. very true that u never saw highlights of him catching passes.. but then again when casey dick is your QB its hard to catch any passes... just ask marcus monk!

to prove how much the QB position lacked, mcfadden lined up at QB on numerous occasions to not only pass but to run as well!

i see him as much, much more than a one trick pony and maybe as a special talent who's talent level is just a notch under Adrian Peterson this time last year..
Old 05-13-2008, 03:27 AM   #9
changAlang24
Water Boy

Member Number: 8140

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i'd have to disagree that mcfadden was a one trick pony.. very true that u never saw highlights of him catching passes.. but then again when casey dick is your QB its hard to catch any passes... just ask marcus monk!

to prove how much the QB position lacked, mcfadden lined up at QB on numerous occasions to not only pass but to run as well!

i see him as much, much more than a one trick pony and maybe as a special talent who's talent level is just a notch under Adrian Peterson this time last year..
You cant really make the arguement about him lining up as QB as he will rarely, probably never do it in the pros. However, his lack of QB play helped other teams stack the box which made his success recognizable.

However, what I was reffering to, was not his ability to catch passes, but more that Mendenhall is a more solid back. Physically, there are many doubts on DMC that many scouts question(height, lack of leg muscle, small calves etc) and many thought that DMC never really ran through people the way AP did. Yes, DMC 4.33 speed was enough to put him in the top 5, but I still regard him as not being as complete as Mendenhall in terms of toughness, grinding out the yards, and working into the 4th quarter. DMC would be a great complimentary back, but IMO he isnt as solid as Mendenhall.

As for comparing him to AP, there is no doubt he isnt as talented. The only knock in my mind on AP was the injury, which kept him out much of his final season at OU. AP was known as a bruiser in college, and one described him as aa player who "looked for people to run over" compared to DMC who basically runs around him. However, as we have seen during AP's rookie campaign, he has more than enough speed to break it for 6(Bears, Chargers).

So back to the main point, yes I still regard Mendenhall as more of a well rounded back, and a definite steal at 23.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:24 AM   #10
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

This is hard

Run DMC made LSU look absolutely Silly, the Defense that a lot of people thought was the best in the NCAA

Mendenhall made USC look absolutely silly, the OTHER Defense that a lot of people thought was the best in the NCAA.

6 of one, half dozen of another ... I like mendenhall because we don't pay him nearlyyyyyyyyy what the raiders will pay Mcfadden, or what the Bucs, Dolphins, and Bears paid Caddy, Ronnie, and Cedric (respectively)

Steven Jackson and Ronnie brown are freaks of athletic talent. I wouldn't put mendenhall up there as a freak, But he comes into our team with a slightly different situations than in Chicago. From day 1, everyone in chicago wanted to see Benson unseat T. Jones (for what reason I have no clue) ... Here, I don't really think there is anyone that wants to see Willie Parker get unseated anytime soon. For the production he's making, and the money he's getting paid ... We won't have to worry about a Benson-Jones situation for another couple years. And even then I feel the team would probably take care of willie and keep him here, u can never have too many good RB's.
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote