Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 04-28-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Steeldude
Living Legend

Default Question on Mendenhall pick

my problem with the pick is it doesn't fill any pressing needs. the replies i see in return are "he was the best player available". ok, how does that justify picking him?

let's say in next year's draft the BPA for steelers in the 1st round is a RB again. i guess the steelers select him, right? after all, he is the BPA.

IMO, i would have either traded up or down.

let's not get upset, i am not saying that mendenhall sucks. i hope everything works out great.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:33 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,944 Times in 1,842 Posts
Default Re: Question on Mendenhall pick

I think he would make a fine replacement for dookie. IMO As far as next year goes lets wait and see.

Thats why you or I aren't sitting in a Steelers office calling the shots.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #3
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

I think RB was a pressing need. Willie is good at what he does, but he absolutely falls flat in certain situations (short yardage/power) and Davenport was no better.

To put it another way: Parker is absolutely great at about two-thirds of the running situations you'll face in a game. But that still leaves us ill-equipped for about one-third of all running situations. So by definition, we still had a big weak spot in our offense.

In fact, that's probably been the biggest problem with our entire offense for the past two years: We can't jam the ball down people's throats anymore. The number of sacks we give up is probably a close second, but we have a decent shot at solving that by singing free agents and developing some of the guys we've already got.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:45 PM   #4
ohiosteelerfan20
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 4962

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I think he would make a fine replacement for dookie. IMO As far as next year goes lets wait and see.

Perfect
ohiosteelerfan20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #5
dunkuntou
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 4780

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
my problem with the pick is it doesn't fill any pressing needs. the replies i see in return are "he was the best player available". ok, how does that justify picking him?

let's say in next year's draft the BPA for steelers in the 1st round is a RB again. i guess the steelers select him, right? after all, he is the BPA.

IMO, i would have either traded up or down.

let's not get upset, i am not saying that mendenhall sucks. i hope everything works out great.
This year KC said we will pick any position in the first round with the exception of quarterback and tight end.

Next year he may say we will pick any position with the exception of quarterback, tight end AND running back.

Running back was a pressing need. Willie Parker shouldn't be carrying the ball 350-400 times a season. The more carries a running back gets the shorter his career can be
dunkuntou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
Steeldude
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post

i wish i was when they started the kordell experiment.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 8,077 Times in 3,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post

no.

in colberts 2 interviews before the draft (i believe theres links to them in the Channel 124 thread. he said the steelers would be taking the bpa unless it was a quarterback or tight end.

so that means that before next years draft he will announce that they will take the bpa unless it is a rb, qb or te.

so who would you have traded down for? a lesser graded player with even less of a chance of helping us win in 08?
Old 04-28-2008, 03:59 PM   #8
TJSteeler
Water Boy

Member Number: 4706

I could honestly see Mendenhall getting the bulk of the carries by mid year and Willie being the change of pace back. I love fast Willie but he has been over used last two years and think this is a great move. Having two great backs (we hope) is almost a requirement these days with the beatings they take and Mendenhall appears to be a 3 down back and certainly more of a bruiser than Fast Willie.
If both have a great year and next year the only player worthy of the draft spot we are in is a RB then they probably trade down.
TJSteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
ChronoCross
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2201

He will work out just fine. He is a bigger stronger back then willie and just a tad bit slower, well right now he is not slower then willie because willie is not back up to full speed, And guess what he is more of a north to south runner then Willie is. Willie strength is to bounce outside and use his speed to out run defensive guys. Meldenhall can actually use his strength up the gut of the line to wear teams down.
ChronoCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:02 PM   #10
Justin Otstott
Team Captain

Member Number: 539
My Mood: Relaxed

I love tha guy from what I seen on video and I hope he gets some playing time!!!