Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 04-29-2008, 04:14 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Mundy to join Steelers

Mundy to join Steelers
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, April 29, 2008

As a youngster, Ryan Mundy played for a Pee Wee Football team called the West Pittsburgh Steelers.
And to hear him reflect on those carefree days, it's hard to tell what was more fun for him: playing in the games or donning his No. 34 jersey and football pants on autumn Sundays and collecting donations outside of Three Rivers Stadium before the, uh, other Steelers games.

"Those are very good memories I have of my childhood," Mundy said.

More than a decade later, Mundy will try to complete the circle that started when he and his pint-sized teammates hit up tailgaters for extra change and collected one trophy after another.

The Steelers picked the Woodland Hills graduate in the sixth round of the NFL Draft on Sunday. He has a good chance of making the team given his size and smarts, not to mention the uncertainty the Steelers have at free safety.
"It definitely tells me how far I've come," Mundy said of becoming the first WPIAL product to get drafted by the Steelers since 1994. "Just looking back at all of the things I've been through and the long way I've came, it definitely makes me feel that much better about my situation."

Mundy's path to Pittsburgh -- or rather back to Pittsburgh -- was anything but a direct one.

His career started with promise at Michigan -- he started at free safety for the Wolverines as a sophomore -- but it stalled after he took a medical redshirt in 2005 because of a severely pinched nerve.

Needing a "fresh start," Mundy transferred to West Virginia in 2007, taking advantage of an NCAA rule that allowed him to do so without having to sit out a year despite completing his degree in four years.

He made the most of his final college season, starting all 13 games for the Mountaineers and helping West Virginia make significant improvement on defense from the previous year.

"When you talk to the people at West Virginia, they really felt that Ryan was a huge part of pulling their defense together," Steelers director of football operations Kevin Colbert said.

Despite that and the 45 tackles, three interceptions and two fumble recoveries he made in 2007, Mundy wasn't among the more than 300 draft-eligible players invited to the NFL Scouting Combine.

The 6-foot-1, 215-pounder, however, made a good impression on the Steelers a couple of weeks later, when he worked out at West Virginia's Pro Day and met with Colbert and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin.

The Steelers used its final draft pick on Mundy, and not long after it made him the 194th overall selection, he got a congratulatory text message from Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley, his close friend from when they played together at Michigan.

One thing that stands out about Mundy, who was an honors student in college, is his aptitude on the field. He picked up the system at West Virginia quickly enough to start right away, and he doesn't figure to get overwhelmed by what he'll be required to learn during the Steelers' minicamp and OTA practices.

"This is a very, very intelligent kid," Colbert said of Mundy, who also will be a candidate to play special teams, "a very mature kid that will have a nice chance to make this team."

The Steelers' situation at free safety is a murky, with Ryan Clark coming back from a serious illness and Anthony Smith trying to bounce back after regressing at the end of last season.

"I'll do," Mundy said, "whatever I can to get on the field."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_564779.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 04:18 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,307 Times in 1,406 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Mundy to join Steelers

It is good to see mundy in pittsburgh it will add depth and competition at free safety and might make smith start playing some reall football.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:42 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Welcome home, Ryan!
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 05:46 AM   #4
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Its always nice to have some competition at each position. I just think that they could have found a DE or 2 also. We needed depth at DE badly and didnt get it, now what are we gonna do?
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 07:59 AM   #5
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Maybe we can get Jeff Saturday from the Colts then we can say, "Saturday through Munday we'll kick your arse!"

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 AM   #6
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

that would be a funny thing to have.. i think this mundy will play st... if he makes the team which i hoe.. i could see poss seeing tryone carter not get so many plays as he did last yr...

our safeties will be troy and smith to start and mundy to come in 4 one of them or in packages..
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:02 AM   #7
LVSteelersfan
Living Legend

Member Number: 6620
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
that would be a funny thing to have.. i think this mundy will play st... if he makes the team which i hoe.. i could see poss seeing tryone carter not get so many plays as he did last yr...

our safeties will be troy and smith to start and mundy to come in 4 one of them or in packages..
Tyrone Carter needs to GO. Let him go play for the Bungles or Clowns. They need defensive help. Oops. That isn't really defensive help.

The only thing Tyrone Carter was ever good for was jumping around and cheerleading with those dreads during the Super Bowl year.

COACH - Breakfast of Champions !!!

Last edited by LVSteelersfan; 04-29-2008 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Wanted to add something.
LVSteelersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,966 Times in 3,409 Posts

Quote:
One thing that stands out about Mundy, who was an honors student in college, is his aptitude on the field. He picked up the system at West Virginia quickly enough to start right away, and he doesn't figure to get overwhelmed by what he'll be required to learn during the Steelers' minicamp and OTA practices.

"This is a very, very intelligent kid," Colbert said of Mundy, who also will be a candidate to play special teams, "a very mature kid that will have a nice chance to make this team."
the FS for the steelers should be the QB of the defense and get everyone lined up in the right spot and make all the calls. we kinda lost some of that when chris hope left.

this is a kid who wont be yapping at tom brady and will play a sound game. if he can learn all the positions and the playbook and make the calls, his teammates will take notice and listen. he could grow into a leader.

its funny how steelerfans place so much credence in high quality character players, yet the shit hits the fan on draft day everytime we pass on a player who may have more talent, better stats, or more impressive combine number, but might have the character and dependability of a turd.

sound familiar? that is the bungles MO.