Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 05-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803
Default Mendenhall injures hamstring.

Quote:
Mendenhall injures a hamstring
By BOB LABRIOLA
Steelers.com

Last year, it was Lawrence Timmons’ groin. This year, it’s Rashard Mendenhall’s hamstring. And none of it surprises Coach Mike Tomlin.

Last May, Timmons arrived as the team’s No. 1 draft pick, but after taking part in one full minicamp practice, he was injured and ended up missing the rest of the offseason program. This year, Mendenhall was the No. 1 pick, and after taking part in both minicamp practices on Friday, he missed both sessions on Saturday with what was termed a slight hamstring strain.

“It’s a precaution right now,” said Tomlin about the decision to sideline Mendenhall. “He has somewhat of a hamstring injury. It’s becoming somewhat commonplace for some of these high-round draft picks to have this situation happen to them during minicamp weekend. It happened to Lawrence last year, it happened to (No. 2 pick LaMarr) Woodley last year.”

It’s unlikely that Mendenhall will return to the field for Sunday’s finale, but Tomlin doesn’t expect his injury to linger as long as Timmons’.

“The schedule that these guys are on is really not conducive for preparing them to come in and meet what awaits them in terms of minicamp,” said Tomlin. “They go through the combine and they go to their pro day, and then they go on this city tour, where they’re visiting with respective teams and they have functions they need to go to.

“When they’re in college, they spend a lot of time in winter conditioning programs getting ready to play spring football. It’s an awkward time for these young guys, because they’re not really a part of a team as they prepare for the draft. They miss a little bit of that, and injuries happen. But like last year, it’s short-term misery. It’s not going to define him. It allows him to take a step back, and watch and take some mental reps.”

If the health news on Mendenhall was something less than ideal, Tomlin was tickled to talk about the progress two of his veteran players have been making after needing season-ending surgeries last year.

Ryan Clark did not play after the Oct. 21 game in Denver, and he eventually had to have his spleen and gall bladder removed. After losing between 25 and 30 pounds during the entire ordeal, Clark has returned and taken part in every portion of the offseason program to date.

“If you know Ryan, you don’t count him out of anything,” said Tomlin. “He has a great spirit, he’s a great competitor, he has passion and loves to play the game of football. He’s in the process of marching back, and you probably won’t know (how he will do) until we go out and play football. We like where he is right now, and I’m sure he’s glad to be back out there with his teammates. His teammates are happy to have him, and he’s a great leader.”

Marvel Smith battled back spasms for portions of last season, and his injury ultimately required surgery as well. He missed five complete games.

“When you feel good your spirits are uplifted, and all reports are that Marvel is feeling as good as he’s felt in a long time,” said Tomlin. “It’s the sacrifice these men make to play this game. A lot of times you play in less than ideal circumstances in terms of health – it’s part of it. But when you deal with those situations like he has and you come through the other side and you’re feeling good, you really appreciate it. That’s what you see from him.”

MINICAMP NOTES: Tomlin said he excused Ben Roethlisberger from the afternoon session so that the quarterback could attend to some personal matters … Darnell Stapleton had been given permission to miss Friday, and he was back on Saturday … After one practice on Sunday, minicamp will end. The players are not allowed to gather as a complete team again until OTAs resume on May 20.
http://http://news.steelers.com/article/89225/
Old 05-03-2008, 08:29 PM   #2
Kaeg
Bench Warmer
Supporter

Member Number: 5784
Default Re: Mendenhall injures hamstring.

Argh.....! I hope it's not serious as coach T implies.
Kaeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! !!!!

ok.........I feel ...........somewhat......... better now.
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
Hypocycloid
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8450

Hey, If it is common place for this to happen, and has now happened to Timmons, Woodley, and now Mendenhall; wouldn't ya think it might be a good idea to do something about it? If the rookies are not conditioned because of the travelling, etc., leading up to the draft, maybe it might be a good idea to move the mini-camp back a week or two (isn't that when Cowher had his). Two give them time to get their conditioning back up. Perhaps not run them as hard?

Obviously there is a problem that MT knows about since he spoke about it.

If the electric fence keeps shocking you, maybe you should quit touching it.
Hypocycloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:20 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

MENDENHALL IS A BUST!

WHY DID WE PICK HIM?

Slight hamstring pull? That is code for.. RIPPED IT TOO SHREDS.

Oh wait... that's right. His name isn't Timmons, so everyone will be patient with him. My bad.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,288 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
MENDENHALL IS A BUST!

WHY DID WE PICK HIM?

Slight hamstring pull? That is code for.. RIPPED IT TOO SHREDS.

Oh wait... that's right. His name isn't Timmons, so everyone will be patient with him. My bad.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Da Steeler Soprano
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 3285

Timmons sux

"If I could live my life over I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." - Jack Lambert
Da Steeler Soprano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:33 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,397 Times in 3,686 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

Not me - who no doubt designed the play on which Mendenhall was injured? - Arians!

This is yet one more calamity for which Arians bears complete responsibility.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #9
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,288 Times in 470 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Not me - who no doubt designed the play on which Mendenhall was injured? - Arians!

This is yet one more calamity for which Arians bears complete responsibility.
Nah, it's all Willie's fault!
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Nah, it's all Willie's fault!
...why did we cut Kuhn last year
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote