Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-05-2008, 01:44 PM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Lawrence Timmons Improving?

I see this as very good news about Lawrence Timmons....

It has become an accepted fact of NFL life that players make significant improvement from their first to their second years in the league, and Tomlin acknowledged this earlier in the weekend. So, while it’s natural to examine the progress made by, say, No. 1 pick Rashard Mendenhall this weekend, it might be more fruitful to see how far last year’s No. 1 pick – Lawrence Timmons – has come.
“It has been a good weekend for him,” said Tomlin about Timmons. “It has been a difference of night and day between what he showed us this weekend and what he showed us last year. The pedigree is still there, and we like what he brings to the table. He’s a talented guy who’s capable of doing a lot of things.
“He’s a big guy who is powerful. He is going to be able to do some things in coverage; he is going to be able to do some things in terms of getting pressure on the quarterback. But his deeds on the field are going to etch out his role. He knows that and all the guys know that. He has some potential, but he needs to do the work.”
Timmons initially was put behind James Harrison at right outside linebacker, but it wasn’t too far into his rookie training camp that he was moved inside. James Farrior and Larry Foote are returning starters at inside linebacker, but Tomlin is looking for Timmons to make it a competition there this summer.
“Hopefully we have a bunch of intense battles (for starting jobs),” said Tomlin. “That’s one that could be intense because Lawrence has put himself in a position to compete because he knows what to do. We are only going to be a good football team if we have a bunch of intense battles. We expect that to be one of them; we will see.”

I think that Timmons is gonna come on strong this year and really make it hard on Larry Foote to keep his job. I hope that he comes in there and takes the ball and just rolls with it right to 10 pro bowl years.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #2
BlastFurnace
Living Legend

Member Number: 6321
Default Re: Lawrence Timmons Improving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
I see this as very good news about Lawrence Timmons....

I think that Timmons is gonna come on strong this year and really make it hard on Larry Foote to keep his job. I hope that he comes in there and takes the ball and just rolls with it right to 10 pro bowl years.
I sure hope so. We can't afford to be drafting players #1 and have them sit on the bench or play special teams for 2 straight years. Foote is consistent, but isn't a difference maker in the middle. I would like to see Timmons take that position over.
BlastFurnace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Steelerfreak58
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 8080

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlastFurnace View Post
I sure hope so. We can't afford to be drafting players #1 and have them sit on the bench or play special teams for 2 straight years. Foote is consistent, but isn't a difference maker in the middle. I would like to see Timmons take that position over.
Ditto.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:14 PM   #4
JanBr7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8469

I have a good feeling about Timmons. He got a slow start last year both due to injuries and his learning curve. But I think he's going to step up big time, and make all the linebackers the better for it.
JanBr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,102 Times in 4,594 Posts

imagine if some steelerfans got their own way and they drafted bobby carpenter a few years ago...
Old 05-05-2008, 09:04 PM   #6
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

I hope he can come in and dominate like a diamond in the rough.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:47 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

You know...

all we really need is someone to replace farrior next year (age) and we have a great LB corp for the next 2 to 4 years.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,102 Times in 4,594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
You know...

all we really need is someone to replace farrior next year (age) and we have a great LB corp for the next 2 to 4 years.
if we dump farrior next year, prepare to watch him flourish with the patriots for the next 5. look at his career numbers on nfl.com. last season was his best other than in 04 when he was defensive mvp runner up.
Old 05-05-2008, 09:54 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
if we dump farrior next year, prepare to watch him flourish with the patriots for the next 5. look at his career numbers on nfl.com. last season was his best other than in 04 when he was defensive mvp runner up.
Your probably right.

I would love to draft a LB though... and let him develop a year or so behind him... like we did with Timmons and Woodley.

Funny to be talking about this... but we have to keep an eye out for Harrison as well. If he goes the route of Porter, he only has a couple good years left. If he goes the route of a few others... he has another 5-7 years left.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 10:00 PM   #10
Mistah_Q
Starter

Member Number: 5514

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Your probably right.

I would love to draft a LB though... and let him develop a year or so behind him... like we did with Timmons and Woodley.

Funny to be talking about this... but we have to keep an eye out for Harrison as well. If he goes the route of Porter, he only has a couple good years left. If he goes the route of a few others... he has another 5-7 years left.
I'd venture to say that's what they have in mind with Mike Humpal. . pick a decent guy later, see if he works out over the next season or two. . rather than having an emergency where you need to spend a high pick or sign a big name to fill the need.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote