Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-06-2008, 03:25 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Draft pick a Sweed addition to receivers

Draft pick a Sweed addition to receivers
Tuesday, May 06, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

X marks the spot for Limas Sweed. In football speak, the X position is the split end and that is where the rookie receiver will line up, behind Santonio Holmes.

At least, that's where things started for the Steelers receivers at their weekend minicamp. It all could change between now and the start of the season.

Sweed's addition to the roster in the second round of the draft prompted many to take notice of a receiving group that can claim to be a team strength.

The group includes as its starters Hines Ward, who owns almost every team receiving record, and Holmes, who led all NFL receivers in yards per catch (18.1) last season. No. 3 man Nate Washington, who is 6 feet 1, and the 6-4 Sweed can go deep and give quarterback Ben Roethlisberger more options. There is also 6-5 tight end Heath Miller, whose 47 receptions ranked third on the team last season, and his backup, 6-7 Matt Spaeth.

"I'll put it to you like this," Washington said of an offense that also added rookie halfback Rashard Mendenhall in the first round. "We had a good unit, but with the additions we made, I think we went from good to great -- we have the potential to be great, rather. We're not there yet. ... It's a great opportunity for us to come out and open up as an offense."

Holmes sees all kinds of opportunities developing with the addition of Sweed.

"We can get somebody that's as physical as he is to come in and bring a different threat to the program. Being a big guy and very explosive, it's going to help us a whole lot.

"If I can stretch the field, we can have Hines in the middle and we have another guy who can also work the middle with Hines and take hits and be physical in the middle. It'll help us with the tight ends and all."

Coordinator Bruce Arians already tinkered with the lineup, the lower-end of the alphabet dancing through his head. Ward is the Z, or flanker. Then there are other letters that account for slot men and wing men and H-backs

"Limas is at X," Arians said. "We can move Santonio around, which we started doing a lot last year because he plays in the slot very well. Limas can play in the slot, no problem. Hines can obviously play everywhere. Nate can play everywhere -- he's had to play every position on the team the last two years; he's lined up at X, F, Y and Z."

And sometimes W?

"We're fortunate to have guys who can take the top end off our coverage," said Arians, which means running deep routes, "and they're tough enough to go over the middle."

Washington envisions a cornucopia of passes in which Roethlisberger can hang passes high with a reasonable expectation that his receivers will come down with the ball.

"Limas gives us versatility," Washington said. "Teams are going to have to respect our jump balls now. A lot of teams know I can jump, but with my size -- 6-1, 185 -- they can deal with it and my jumping ability. Now they have to respect some height.

"It's going to open us up more on deep patterns with me and 'Tone, the speed we have, and the underneath game Hines has. If we're in game at the same time, they can't just double me going deep, because Limas will be back there somewhere. If there's a bailout situation, you can just throw it up to him."

Randy Fichtner, who coaches the Steelers wide receivers, believes Sweed can be an integral part of the Steelers offense as a rookie.

"I don't think there's any question," Fichtner said. "Obviously there's a learning curve, but that hits everybody. But I know that he's capable of learning."

Fichtner envisioned Sweed claiming the No. 3 job this year. Moments after they drafted him, he said, "It tickles you to death because you're looking at a three group that's really strong and a possibility of Nate Washington being four is really exciting."

Holmes knows what it's like to pick up the NFL game as a rookie receiver; he led all AFC rookie receivers with 49 receptions.

"He's very, very much more an asset right now," Holmes said of Sweed. "The system will be hard. It will take him 12, 15 games to learn the system. But if he's one of those guys who can pick up the system early, then we'll need him as soon as possible."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08127/879441-66.stm
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,337 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: Draft pick a Sweed addition to receivers

I can't wait to see this offense in action with the adition of sweed and mendenhall I can't wait for footaball to start.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 06:09 AM   #3
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Sure sounds to me that Sweed impressed in practices. For all to already be discussing the positions and potentials seems promising. Sounds like everyone is anxious to get on the field. Practice is one thing though, and gametime is another. Get your head in the playbook Limas, because it sounds like you've already won them over with your physical skills.

I wanted to comment also on some posters saying Sweed was very quiet and soft spoken. Could it be we actually got a WR that is'nt all about himself and the stats, and the whole primadona thing. We can all only hope!
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

haha whoa there washington ... your blazing speed amazing jumping abilities, all the DOUBLE COVERAGE?!?!?! you draw?, and ofcourse, you'll still drop the ball.

really tho i like washington, and sweed is gonna be sweet
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:25 AM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

why didnt they just move Matt Spaeth to WR, i mean the dude is 6-7, so then ben could have had his tall reciever last year. lol

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,616 Times in 2,863 Posts

Quote:
"I'll put it to you like this," Washington said of an offense that also added rookie halfback Rashard Mendenhall in the first round. "We had a good unit, but with the additions we made, I think we went from good to great -- we have the potential to be great, rather. We're not there yet. ... It's a great opportunity for us to come out and open up as an offense."
good move by washington, putting himself in check.

and herein lies his value-

Quote:
Nate can play everywhere -- he's had to play every position on the team the last two years; he's lined up at X, F, Y and Z."
he is the #1 backup at all wr positions as opposed to the days of lee mays, bobby shaw, will blackwell etc. where they would only know 1 position.
Old 05-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #7
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

he is the #1 backup at all wr positions as opposed to the days of lee mays, bobby shaw, will blackwell etc. where they would only know 1 position.
its good to have a few versatile players on the team

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #8
stlrtruck
THE PRINCESS' Daddy
Supporter

Member Number: 2398

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

Now if Mr. Washington could only HOLD ON TO THE DARN BALL!!!!!!

60 Minutes, 53 Men, 6 Trophies,1 NATION. . .STEELERS NATION!!!
Sig courtesy of STEELAX04
stlrtruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlrtruck View Post
Now if Mr. Washington could only HOLD ON TO THE DARN BALL!!!!!!
but its not his fault that he cant hold on to the ball.. its the qb's fault for being so tall.. he cant throw it down..lol

Old 05-06-2008, 09:03 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
"Limas gives us versatility," Washington said
Translation: "I can either stop dropping passes or be unemployed"

(Yes Nate...that is true versatility.)
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote