Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 AM   #1
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Teams that could get over playoff hump

NFC

New Orleans Saints (7-9 last season): OK, while they could have been a bit better at upgrading pass coverage, the Saints' defense just has to be improved with established pro Jonathan Vilma at linebacker and rookie tackle Sedrick Ellis plugging the middle. The efforts of Ellis should enable ends Charles Grant and Will Smith to pressure quarterbacks with enough gusto to prevent excessive danger to the Saints' corners.

With QB Drew Brees still in his prime, the New Orleans offense should be fit as a fiddle. The key here may be the continued emergence of a young running back (but do I mean Reggie Bush or Pierre Thomas?) and the return of Deuce McAllister. The addition of Jeremy Shockey would have been nice, but it's been demonstrated that great success can be achieved without him.

Philadelphia Eagles (8-8): Boy, this certainly is a leap of faith.

I strongly considered going with the Washington Redskins here, but decided that if the Redskins aren't convinced regarding Jason Campbell's current level of performance, then my skepticism should prevail.
So, let's assume Donovan McNabb won't suffer a season-ending back injury while looking over his shoulder at Kevin Kolb and Brian Westbrook manages to avoid space-alien abduction. If the latter occurs, the addition of Lorenzo Booker might ease the doom until Westbrook is returned to our planet. But the big reason for optimism (delivered with a side order of skepticism) is rookie receiver DeSean Jackson, who was the nation's biggest tease while at Cal.

Carolina Panthers (7-9): I just couldn't muster enough faith in an NFC West team, so we're going with another upgrade from the NFC South.

This pick, of course, is making the huge assumption that QB Jake Delhomme will go from bad elbow to beyond competent. I also nearly talked myself off the Panthers while remaining unconvinced that the return of Muhsin Muhammad will make things easier for superstar receiver Steve Smith. But, as a card-carrying Pac-10 guy, I think a lot of rookie runner Jonathan Stewart, who -- teaming up with DeAngelo Williams -- should give John Fox a nice running game to build around.

AFC

Denver Broncos (7-9): While improving in this conference is no hayride, the Broncos are working in a division that could allow them to make a little hay. Most of my faith is lobbed at QB Jay Cutler, whose history of playing for Vanderbilt should prepare him for life with diabetes. Cutler's protection now includes rookie tackle Ryan Clady, while Arizona State draftee Ryan Torain seems like the perfect candidate for mind-blowing success in Mike Shanahan's running game.

Cincinnati Bengals (7-9): Despite the recent efforts of linebacker Ahmad Brooks and Chad Johnson, I believe the Bengals have enough talent to stagger into January.

Yeah, the blame for most of this risky optimism rests on the shoulders of QB Carson Palmer, but I'm also supportive of adding LB Keith Rivers and DT Pat Sims to the Cincinnati defense.
It also should be noted that if Johnson is moved, the Bengals may have drafted one or two kids capable of keeping T.J. Houshmandzadeh from drawing triple coverage.
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8...r-playoff-hump

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Teams that could get over playoff hump

Had me until this one:

Quote:
Cincinnati Bengals (7-9): Despite the recent efforts of linebacker Ahmad Brooks and Chad Johnson, I believe the Bengals have enough talent to stagger into January.
Is he kidding? That team is imploding and will be lucky to win 5 games. Credibility = shot to hell.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:59 AM   #3
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Had me until this one:

Is he kidding? That team is imploding and will be lucky to win 5 games. Credibility = shot to hell.
you know 76,i thought the same thing.. i was like this dude is saying the bengals.. the same bengals that have a whiney WR crying trade me or i am not going to play.. maybe he sees something in the team we just dont see..

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
Old 05-06-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by TackleMeBen View Post
you know 76,i thought the same thing.. i was like this dude is saying the bengals.. the same bengals that have a whiney WR crying trade me or i am not going to play.. maybe he sees something in the team we just dont see..
Anybody with two functioning eyes and more than two brain cells to rub together can see and deduce that the Bengals have gotten worse over the offseason thus far, not better. On top of that, they have eight games against teams that made the playoffs this past season on their schedule in '08. Mr. Hill is either retarded or delusional.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 09:19 AM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

you know 76, maybe we are being unfair to the bengals. i mean they could come out and kick butt...oh wait sorry wrong team i was thinking about..lol

Old 05-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #6
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

The team that does stand out to me is Denver. If their young QB is worth half his weight in salt, they have the potential to make a run. Especially playing in the weak sauce AFC West. Oakland and KC twice. 4 wins right there for Denver. Here is their schedule:
At Oakland (win)
San Diego (loss if Norv does't destroy the Chargers)
New Orleans (toss up but its in Denver)
At KC (win)
Tampa (toss up)
Jacksonville (loss)
at New England (win, they always beat NE)
Miami (win)
at Cleveland (win)
at Atlanta (win)
Oakland (win)
at Jets (toss up)
KC (win)
at Carolina (loss)
Buffalo (win)
at SD (loss)

I see 9 wins in there very easily. Should they pull a couple toss up games, they are a playoff team. Most likely playing week 1, but if SD falls apart, Denver could win the AFC West, more because 2 of the teams suck in that conference and they play a weak schedule.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

bengals?? they suck! the brownies have a better chance than those thugs

Quote:
I believe the Bengals have enough talent to stagger into January.
yeah, Palmer, Housh and........

the panthers can be a surprise this year, and I'm talking division winners and 12+ wins. delhomme is the key, if he's healthy all season they'll be in the playoffs. their great receiving corps will just make rookie stewart better

broncos have tons of talent, but recently they seem to have problems actually winning

saints.....is bush still their runningback
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 03:28 PM   #8
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
The only talent they have is staggering into the local pokeys.

Can't put silk socks on a hog.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
43Hitman
BACON!!
Supporter

Member Number: 1251
My Mood: Cool

In my best Iverson "Bengals!?, Bengals!?, we're talkin' bout the Bengals"

Seriously though, I thinkg that Carolina has a good shot at getting through a couple of rounds of the playoffs.

"Football is a physical game, or at least it used to be" -Mel Blount
43Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:21 PM   #10
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413

Quote:
Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
Seriously though, I thinkg that Carolina has a good shot at getting through a couple of rounds of the playoffs.
If Delhomme could stay healthy for longer than a half of a season - I would agree.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote