Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-06-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
Kvnfaber
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6695
Default Parker continuing the tradition.

PITTSBURGH -- Every time Willie Parker sees Steelers rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall, he cannot help but think of Jerome Bettis.

The thought has nothing to do with Mendenhall's running style. It has to do with the way Bettis -- a future Hall of Famer -- embraced and tutored Parker as a rookie, which eventually led to Pittsburgh winning a Super Bowl their second year together in 2005.

"JB always kept it real with me,'' Parker said glowingly. "He told me as long as I passed the blueprint on to somebody else and not be selfish, that's the only way we can have the running back tradition that we've had here. So, yeah, it's my turn."

Parker's mentality has the potential to bring a smile to coach Mike Tomlin's face.

The Steelers' second-year coach says there is "great chemistry" and an "unwritten rule" of mentorship in Pittsburgh. The veterans teach the rookies the Steelers' way of doing things as soon as they get in the door, and the rookies are better off because of it. It's one of the reasons Pittsburgh remains one of the NFL's most steady and successful franchises.

Parker is not alone. Veteran receiver Hines Ward expressed the same sentiment about his relationship with Pittsburgh's second-round pick Limas Sweed. Ward sat out of minicamp following offseason knee surgery but was very hands-on with Sweed throughout the weekend, as he was in the past with Plaxico Burress and current teammate Santonio Holmes.

Ward cited former Steelers such as Courtney Hawkins and Charles Johnson as reasons he was able to produce early in his career.

"Those guys brought me in,'' Ward said. "Unfortunately, they left and I was the leader in Year 3, and it was me just learning on the run. But I remember vividly just coming into the league. In my time it was [looking up to] Kordell [Stewart] and Jerome, now these guys, they see Ben [Roethlisberger] and Troy [Polamalu] and they're in awe.''

Mendenhall, 20, is in awe mostly because he never thought he would become a Steeler. He didn't visit Pittsburgh during the entire draft process, and the team all but ruled out landing the Big Ten Player of the Year with the No. 23 overall pick.

Mendenhall was a projected top-15 selection. But on draft day he fell behind Oregon's Jonathan Stewart (No. 13 to Carolina) and former Arkansas tailbacks Darren McFadden (No. 4 to Oakland) and Felix Jones (No. 22 to Dallas), paving way for the surprise scenario.

"I didn't think I would be the fourth running back taken, but everything happens for a reason,'' Mendenhall responded.

Both tailbacks have taken different paths to the NFL.

Parker entered the league through the back door as an undrafted free agent after receiving little playing time at the University of North Carolina. Mendenhall received the red-carpet treatment last weekend as the team's first-round pick. He held his own press conference and received Pittsburgh's No. 1 jersey, which annually goes to the team's top selection.

Despite differing pedigrees, together the two could form one of the best one-two punches in the league next season. Their collective talents were on display during minicamp.

With darting runs throughout the weekend, Parker also showed he hasn't lost any speed following his return from last year's broken fibula. He was leading the NFL in rushing with 1,316 yards before his leg injury in December.

On Mendenhall's first day of practice, he caught a short pass on a check down from Roethlisberger. He then quickly changed direction to elude a would-be defender and sprinted up the field for a long gain.

You could hear several "oohs" from onlookers after that play. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh didn't see much more of Mendenhall after he tweaked his hamstring and was held out for the remainder of minicamp. His hard luck continued this week when he reportedly was robbed at gunpoint early Monday near his hometown of Chicago. No one was hurt in the incident.

Once the season starts, the Steelers expect Mendenhall to improve their flexibility on offense as well as the durability of Parker, who has 658 carries the past two seasons.

Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is in the process of devising schemes to use both players in the same backfield. It's a package that has Parker and Mendenhall excited for next season, as the pair could give opposing defenses nightmares as dual running and receiving threats.

"It can be real dangerous,'' Parker said. "Defenses won't know what we can do. Usually when I'm in there, defenses would always try to put a bracket on me and try not to let me get down the field. With [Mendenhall] in there, it will open it up.''

Parker is seeing the positives of adding Mendenhall, and that can be nothing but good news for the Steelers and their rookie first-round pick.

One of the most memorable things Bettis told Parker in his rookie season was that he should always push the veteran as hard as he could, Parker said. That way, Bettis remained sharp as the starter, and Parker in turn became a better running back. Years later, that same advice is being passed down to Mendenhall.

"I was kind of nervous coming in, but that running back room with Willie, it's been nothing but professional since I've been here,'' Mendenhall said. "They're trying to help me as much as they can. The better I do, the better they're going to do as a team.''

Memo to Bettis: "Fast Willie" is keeping his promise.

Here is the link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...mes&id=3383512

Last edited by Kvnfaber; 05-06-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Kvnfaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #2
Mistah_Q
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5514
Default Re: Parker continuing the tradition.

Very nice read. Parker and Mendenhall both have the right attitude. . lets hope it translates to something spectacular on the field this season.

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:10 PM   #3
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

I am glad to see it continue, Bettis tought parker so much i hope he can do the same

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #4
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Great read, I miss 'The Bus' and everything he brought to this team.

Wow, the potential of this offense...wow!

I need to keep this all in perspective, we have'nt even played a game yet.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:23 PM   #5
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

if he is like bus then he is good in my book

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 01:42 PM   #6
Kvnfaber
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6695

I am very much looking forward to the tandem that we have for 2008, however we have to be careful at looking at our potential and setting standards too high.

Every year, and I mean every single year, Browns fans tell me that this is their year, that they will whoop on our Steelers, and that is all based on potential. Stupid Browns fans.

I will certainly be happy if Mendenhall and Parker can stay healthy and if Mend can compliment Willie as he learns the ins and outs of this offense. He certainly has breakout potential, and I certainly hope he shows it. I can, however, see the fear in opposing defenses as they try to guess who will have the ball and be barreling at them or around them!
Kvnfaber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:31 PM   #7
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

I'm pumped!!!!!!!
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

If mendenhall turns out to be like bettis but with 4.4 speed, i might crap my pants.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:52 PM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

It only makes sense for WP to want a solid back up. He knows he can't have a very long carreer getting 30 carries a game for 16 games + a season. He'd be broken sooner than later.
Old 05-06-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

it is the attitude that has me pumped. If Sweed has that same attitude... then we are set at the offensive skill positions for quite some time.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote