Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-09-2008, 05:28 AM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Steelers Notes:Yahoo Style

Steelers Team Report

Yahoo! Sports 5

Inside Slant

Troy Polamalu always has followed the beat of a different drummer, and this year it’s taken him back to California.

Polamalu will again follow the non-traditional training methods of non-conformist guru Marv Marinovich in California, returning to the man he trusted with his body until the past few years.

Marinovich does not believe in the traditional NFL-style weight-lifting and Polamalu was one of his prized students. But for the past few years, Polamalu remained in Pittsburgh to train rather than going to the West Coast. After a disappointing season in which he sustained three separate injuries—to his knee, his ribs and his oblique—Polamalu has decided to skip all the voluntary workouts in Pittsburgh to rejoin his California guru.

“I kind of went away from what I did previously,” said Polamalu, who attended but did not practice during the team’s mandatory minicamp last weekend. “I’d been staying here the last two years and training here in Pittsburgh, other than going to California. I’m trying to spend a little more time out there with my trainer in California.”

Polamalu has disdained the free weights and machines that football players traditionally use to train. He also believes certain aspects of training camp are unnecessary and he has criticized the NFL-sponsored consumption of Gatorade.

So, he’s off to California, where he will remain much of the summer. He said he will not practice with his teammates until training camp opens.

“I have some of the stuff here, but you can’t duplicate the facilities, the coaching that I have out there,” Polamalu said. “So I’m trying to stay out there a little more.”

Polamalu had surgery to clean out loose tissue in his knee, but his partially torn PCL went untouched because, he said, nothing could help it but rest. Coach Mike Tomlin did not publicly make an issue of Polamalu’s absence the rest of the spring.

“The prize is what we need to do this fall,” Tomlin said. “He needs to prepare himself to do that and he’s doing it.”

Notes, Quotes

LB James Farrior said he is the designated defender to wear the new radio communication receiver in his helmet for the defense, although it was not tried in minicamp.

The Steelers resume their OTAs May 20.

Mike Tomlin rode his special teams hard last season, devoting a large portion of spring and training camp practices to them. They did not respond in kind during the season, so he’s taking a new approach.

“We’re emphasizing it but we’re emphasizing it in a different way,” Tomlin said. “I’m trying to create a little urgency through scarcity. We’re not going to do it as much; we’re going to work hard but we’re going to work smarter.”

Hines Ward was scheduled to make his second trip of the year to South Korea, where he was welcomed as a hero following his Super Bowl MVP in 2006. Since then, he’s made the trip twice a year to work on his foundation to aid bi-racial people in that country. Ward was born in South Korea, son of a Korean native mother and black U. S. serviceman father.

Even RB Willie Parker was surprised the Steelers waited until the fourth-round to draft an offensive lineman.

“Everybody said what I need is an offensive lineman,” said Parker. “That wasn’t my call to pick an offensive lineman. It would have been good to get one, but we didn’t.”

Rookie RB Rashard Mendenhall was robbed at gunpoint in Chicago two days after he left his first minicamp in Pittsburgh. One of the two men put a gun to Mendenhall’s face and demanded everything he had. He turned over his wallet, his cell phone and his car keys. No one was hurt and the police have not made an arrest.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 PM   #2
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206
Default Re: Steelers Notes:Yahoo Style

lol wow if Willie was suprised about the o-line then we know we made a mistake.... lol who cares hes one player! Trust management.

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:05 AM   #3
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645

Marv is also very well known for driving his son Todd into the ground like a 1976 FJ-40 at the 2020 Baja 500.

Todd "Marijuanavich" also was part of one of the sickest "regular season" college football QB performances in recent college football memory. A free Ross Perot pin for anyone who can guess who his QB counterpart was in that game (Maddox).

Todd had the great fortune of having his first Big Mac at the ripe young age of TWENTY (20). What more do you need to know about Marv that half the chicks in Newport Beach and Laguna Niguel don't already know. Dicipline is not an option...it's the only option.

Great for Troy. Sucked for Todd. Lesson for any overzealous parent out there. Last I heard all that hard work by Marv that went into Todd is plucking a guitar string on the beach until the surf is up.

Know your children before you put them through the meat grinder. Troy is the seldom exception to almost everything. A Tale of Two Trojans.
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:32 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,577 Times in 1,514 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I hope all of this works out for Troy and he can get back to where he used to be.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:14 AM   #5
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

troy doesnt like gatorade?

who woulda thunk it.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #6
JanBr7
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 8469

Side not on Mendenhall's robbery -- I read on another forum that they stole his Rose Bowl watch. Sucks if it's true.
JanBr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:21 AM   #7
klick81
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1396

Makes sense. I was beginning to think Troy's unorthodox training was the cause of his lackluster seasons...now we find out the opposite may be true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hines Ward
What are you going to say, I was too rough?
klick81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:31 AM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I don't have a problem with Troy training in Cali since it's for his benefit in performance. He's doing it because he thinks it'll make him better on the field.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:45 PM   #9
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

Quote:
Originally Posted by klick81 View Post
Makes sense. I was beginning to think Troy's unorthodox training was the cause of his lackluster seasons...now we find out the opposite may be true.
hopefully. I want the always feared tazmanian devil back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I don't have a problem with Troy training in Cali since it's for his benefit in performance. He's doing it because he thinks it'll make him better on the field.
makes you think, after his contract is over he may want to go to the raiders or bolts, or even the niners . though he said last year he wants to stay here, but things can change
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
Exactly.

When they stay away... because they have an idea of the training regimen they need, I am all for that.

It is those who stay away and pout (cough faneca cough) that I have a problem with.

Thank goodness that is over.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote