Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old Yesterday, 10:06 AM   #1
BrandonCarr39
Team Captain

Member Number: 7458
Default Parents angry after school tells 13-year-olds they can have sex, choose gender

Parents angry after school tells 13-year-olds they can have sex, choose gender

Students at one northern California high school are learning more than just the birds and the bees.

Along with local area groups, some parents are irate that their children’s sex ed class at Acalanes High School in Lafayette is being taught by employees of Planned Parenthood without their prior knowledge. They are also fuming over the methods and materials being used, including a checklist that asks students if they are “ready for sex” and another worksheet that describes how to give and obtain consent, as well as a diagram that uses a "genderbread" person for lessons in gender identity.

“[Parents] are very concerned,” Brad Dacus, president of the Pacific Justice Institute, a non-profit legal organization that is assisting the concerned parents, told FoxNews.com. “Planned Parenthood is not exactly the best when it comes to putting young people first.

“They get more grants from the promiscuity of children,” he added. “The material they have provided was material that mirrored their agenda.”

It was the parents of ninth-graders at Acalanes that started raising questions after their children told them one instructor threw a model of female reproductive organs at one student and that many felt the sessions were pressuring them to have sex.

“Some of the kids were distracted because it was divergent from what they were taught at home,” Dacus said.

Acalanes Union School District officials told the institute the class was not taught by teachers but rather the staff from a local Planned Parenthood in nearby Walnut Creek.

Included in the materials provided to students were documents and worksheets that included a checklist entitled, “Sex Check! Are You Ready For Sex?” in which the 13 and 14-year-old students are asked questions such as if they have water–based lubricants and condoms and if they could handle a possible infection or pregnancy. Another worksheet reads like a how-to on obtaining consent from a possible sexual partner and offers possible statements like “Do you want to go back to my place?” and “Is it OK if I take my pants off?”

They were also taught about gender identity with the “Genderbread Person,” a play on the name of the holiday cookie, to teach them on how to identify themselves as either, “agender,” “bigender,” and “two spirit” to name a few.

“Our daughter took this course two years ago, after being provided the opportunity to opt out of the class,” John Lyons, whose two children attend AHS, told FoxNews.com. “The opt-out form provided a handful of bullet points about what the course would cover. After completing the course, it was apparent that some of what was ‘taught’ went beyond what was represented on the opt-out form. This is disappointing to us, because we are actually strong supporters of teen sex education in a peer environment to complement our home-based discussions.”

Lyons added that he and his wife were dismayed by how the students were instructed. He said valuable and factual information was delivered in a manner that seemed to promote Planned Parenthood's agenda regarding 'social justice' through sex education of teens.”

Officials for the Planned Parenthood’s Northern California region did not respond to requests for comment.

Parents in the district have started a petition that has garnered over 100 signatures and have asked that AHS provide a sex ed preview course offered live to parents by the same person who teaches the kids, prior to their taking the course, to give parents the full disclosure and knowledge necessary to make an informed decision regarding their child's participation. So far, the school has not responded to their requests. They are also asking for the school system to develop and implement their own curriculum.

The Pacific Justice Institute has warned Acalanes Union High School District it may be in violation of the law.

“We have not seen any documentation to indicate that distribution of the surveys complied with either Federal law of the California Education Code as to parental notification,” reads a section of PJI’s letter, citing that a federal amendment on the protection of pupil rights states that schools must acquire written parental consent before a student is required to participate in surveys, analysis, or evaluations.

The also reference a California education code that contains the same requirements.

“Notably, the law does not merely require notice; it requires specific parental permission for this type of survey to be administered,” reads the letter.

Officials for the Acalanes Union High School District did not immediately respond to requests for comment.

A number of parents are expected to come out in force to a public district meeting on Wednesday to demand that their concerns be addressed.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/12/14...ntcmp=obinsite
The Following User Says Thank You to BrandonCarr39 For This Useful Post:
CanSteel7 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 12:25 PM   #2
JonM229
Living Legend

Member Number: 24803
Thanked 8,895 Times in 3,074 Posts
My Mood: Cheerful
Default Re: Parents angry after school tells 13-year-olds they can have sex, choose gender

Oh no, schools telling teenagers to think and make decisions for themselves! The horror!

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
JonM229 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Bane (Today), Buddha Bus (Yesterday), FanSince72 (Today), harrison'samonster (Yesterday), PeckerWood (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #3
BritishSteel
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 878
My Mood: Amused
Default Re: Parents angry after school tells 13-year-olds they can have sex, choose gender

'..........told Fox News.'

And I gave up.
Bane (Today), harrison'samonster (Yesterday), JonM229 (Yesterday), NSMaster56 (Yesterday), steelax04 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #4
CanSteel7
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 25607

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM229 View Post
Oh no, schools telling teenagers to think and make decisions for themselves! The horror!
Ah dude, when Planned Parenthood is in there giving these kids advice, when they have an already pre-determined agenda to indoctrinate kids into not only their agenda about sex but the abortion indusrty and how easy and convenient it is to murder babys for the sake of money, then I would be very worried about what they are teaching kids.

Do you really think 13 year old kids are ready for sex?

I wonder what would happen if a pro-life or Christian organization went in there trying teach kids about sex education and being abstinent until they are married? But, we already know the answer to that now don't we?!
CanSteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CanSteel7 For This Useful Post:
Pappy (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM   #5
JonM229
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSteel7 View Post
Do you really think 13 year old kids are ready for sex?

I wonder what would happen if a pro-life or Christian organization went in there trying teach kids about sex education and being abstinent until they are married? But, we already know the answer to that now don't we?!
I certainly don't think that 13 year olds are ready for sex, but they're certainly not too young to learn about it. I don't get why people think that comprehensive sex education is the same as giving teens carte blanche to start having sex.

The thing about Christian or Pro-Life (same thing) groups teaching sex education is that they aren't teaching anything about sex, just to wait until you're married.

Guess which form of education results in higher rates of unwanted pregnancies (which also leads to higher abortion rates)? But, we already know the answer to that now don't we?

See, I can be condescending too.

"I don't know about you Joe, but I would say that qualifies as elite." -Barack Obama
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Bane (Today), Buddha Bus (Yesterday), harrison'samonster (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #6
Vis
In Hoc
Supporter

Member Number: 5117
Thanked 6,243 Times in 2,961 Posts
My Mood: Sick

Quote:
Sex Education
Which word really worries conservatives?

All generalizations are dangerous.
Vis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Vis For This Useful Post:
FanSince72 (Today), harrison'samonster (Yesterday), JonM229 (Yesterday), NSMaster56 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #7
JonM229
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vis View Post
Which word really worries conservatives?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Bane (Today), fer522 (Yesterday), harrison'samonster (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #8
GodfatherofSoul
Team President
Supporter

Spellbound Champion! Add Like Mad Champion! Yeti Sports 1- Long Shot Version Champion! X-Training Champion! Candy Crush Champion! Commando Champion!
Member Number: 14842
Thanked 2,477 Times in 1,212 Posts

Bane (Today), Buddha Bus (Yesterday), fer522 (Yesterday), harrison'samonster (Yesterday), JonM229 (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #9
JonM229
Living Legend

If anyone's gonna indoctrinate my children, it's gonna be me!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JonM229 For This Useful Post:
Bane (Today), harrison'samonster (Yesterday), NSMaster56 (Yesterday), WVABE (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM   #10
Buddha Bus
Piss Monkey
Supporter

People are fooling themselves if they believe their teenagers aren't going to engage in sex at some point.

Do I believe 13 year olds should have sex? Nope. Do I think it can/will happen? Yep. Would I rather them be well informed of the dangers and social consequences of engaging in said activity? Hell yes. Nothing wrong with teaching them to use their brains before making that decision. That doesn't mean parents don't have a right to preach abstinence, but they should also realize the reality that it may happen sooner than they will be comfortable with. You may not want your child to be a skydiver either, but wouldn't you rather he/she at least have the proper training, education, and safety equipment if they did choose to do it? I would.

Education does not equal promotion.

I wave my private parts at your aunties, you heaving lot of second-hand electric donkey bottom biters.
Buddha Bus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buddha Bus For This Useful Post:
harrison'samonster (Yesterday), Pappy (Yesterday)