Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Panthers

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 21, 8:30 PM
NBC

Old 05-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Steelers Unveil Land of Giants

for (var fontsizevalue = 10; fontsizevalue
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Steelers Unveil Land of Giants

Quote:
Steelers unveil Land of Giants

Jim Wexell
SteelCityInsider.com May 2, 2008

The Pittsburgh Steelers' receiving corps has a new look this year. The group was unveiled yesterday at the first day of this weekend's minicamp. Find out who's looking good out of the gate.

With Hines Ward sidelined by recent knee surgery, the Steelers showcased a receiving corps that’s either from the future or Redwood National Park.

Yes, the Steelers’ receivers are that big.

“Coach (Mike) Tomlin was saying we’ve got a lot of power forwards around here,” said Ward. “But you still need some point guards out on the field, on the court, to run things, so we’ll see. Hopefully they go out and help contribute to the team.”

Fans may have expected Ward to become vocal over the new breed of receiver being brought in to connect with the 6-foot-5 quarterback, but Ward was vocal in another way: He was a second coach on the sideline, particularly with rookie Limas Sweed.

“If the organization feels this is a player who can help us win the championship, then of course I’m going to welcome them because I want to win another championship,” Ward said.

Sweed, the Steelers’ second-round draft pick, was just one of the giants running patterns for Ben Roethlisberger at the start of minicamp Friday. Counting tight ends, the Steelers have seven receivers taller than 6-4. That’s the size Sweed brings to the team and he only ranks as the team’s seventh-tallest receiver.

“I’ve never seen anything like this,” Sweed said. “These guys are pretty big.”

Heath Miller, who at 6-5 is tied for No. 5 on the list, wonders if Roethlisberger will be able to find him anymore.

“I used to be the tallest guy in the room,” Miller said. “Even weight-wise, I’m small. I put on a couple of pounds and stepped on a scale feeling good about myself, and then the other guys got on behind me and made me look small. I guess I’m the runt of the room.”

Miller weighed in at 254 pounds, only four pounds more than 6-5, 250-pound Jon Dekker. You may remember Dekker as that skinny kid from Princeton.

While Dekker’s looking like a real tight end these days, the other tight ends are looking like NBA power forwards. Matt Spaeth checked into his second season at 6-7, 270 pounds and the re-signed Cody Boyd is 6-8, 264 pounds. And the wideouts appear to be interchangeable with the gigantic tight ends.

Sweed, ticketed to become Roethlisberger’s “big receiver,” must first find his way past a couple of other giants: Former Michigan State basketball player Matt Trannon and undrafted free agent Micah Rucker are both 6-6. Last year’s big guy, 6-3 Dallas Baker, isn’t even in the top seven anymore.

“You can’t really pay attention to that,” Baker said. “It’s football, not basketball. It reminds of Jacksonville’s receivers right now.”

Baker, of course, isn’t lost behind the other big men. He has a year under his belt and is feeling confident.

“I’m starting to understand it a little bit better” he said. “I wouldn’t say I completely understand, but I think I understand a little bit better.”

On the field, the young giants drew mixed reviews. Sweed dropped a few balls the first practice but showed plenty of deep speed and tracking skills. Rucker doesn’t excite the personnel people as much as his size and 4.4 40 time should. Trannon looks great in shorts, but contact has been his undoing on the football field the last few years.

Of course with Ward out, Santonio Holmes -- all 5-11 (listed) of him -- was the best receiver on the field. Did he notice all the new Redwoods out there?

“Yeah,” he said, “but they’ve got to be athletes, too. Just because they’re big and tall, and just because people are starting to pay attention that we’ve got three or four guys that are tall, they’ve still got to prove themselves. Being tall isn’t going to mean you’ll be on the field here.”

Probably not, but the intention of the Steelers’ personnel department – that of finding Roethlisberger some big receivers -- is unmistakable.
Steelers unveil Land of Giants
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 12:43 PM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Well folks, looks like we found our offensive line.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

i sincerely hope matt trannon makes the team...

i remember one statline that he had in like the beggining of the college football season (2 years ago i think...) 14 receptions 151 yards 2tds and one passing TD...
Old 05-10-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,123 Times in 3,205 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
Spaeth certainly has the speed to be a lineman
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
I wonder if they think we are playing football or ruby?

My goodness. These guys are monsters.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:03 PM   #7
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

The question however, is how many of these players are going to actually make the roster?

I can see out TE's... which is fine. I can see Sweed.

However, are there any others?

And if so, they are going to be so far down the depth chart they won't make an impact except on the practice squad.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:35 PM   #8
Elvis
Banned

I agree with ya preacher, there is only so much room on the field for so many recievers and TE's. I just think that that could be a huge redzone receiving corp with TE's Spaeth and MIller and Sweed at WR
Old 05-10-2008, 04:39 PM   #9
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

we are going to have an amazing receiving group this year

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:43 PM   #10
Elvis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettisFan View Post
we are going to have an amazing receiving group this year
I agree BettisFan, I think that Sweed if he can learn the offense quickly and get in camp on time or early as far as that goes the better off he will be. It sounds like from what coach Tomlin has said already that he is very much into learning as quickly as possible. And I also think that he will have something to prove to the rest of the NFL that he was a true 1st round pick. I think that the Steelers have that on our sides in this game as well.