Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #1
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default Ravens in mass brawl at minicamp

great start for Harbaugh's ravens

Quote:
WINGS MILLS, Md. (AP)—The Baltimore Ravens are doing more than merely fighting for jobs at their first mandatory minicamp under new coach John Harbaugh.

They’re fighting each other, too.

Nearly all 85 players in camp were involved in a squabble Saturday that began when offensive tackle Oniel Cousins and defensive tackle Amon Gordon threw punches after running back Allen Patrick was taken down hard on a burst up the middle. All the players surged toward the middle of the field, and it was nearly two minutes before peace was restored.

“Guys are competing, so tempers flare a little bit,” Harbaugh said.

Later during practice, which was held indoors because of rain, defensive backs Corey Ivy and Frank Walker came to blows during a blocking drill.

“Don’t grab me, man!” Ivy yelled.

After the players were separated, veteran cornerbacks Chris McAlister and Samari Rolle spoke with Walker, who signed as a free agent during the offseason after playing with Green Bay in 2007.

“Chill out, man,” Rolle said. “There’s too much at stake.”

For the first time in a decade, the Ravens are conducting a minicamp without Brian Billick, who was fired in January after a nine-year run. There are jobs at stake and a new offense to learn under Cam Cameron, which has fueled emotions at the three-day camp that started Friday. The players aren’t wearing pads, but there’s plenty of hitting going on—much of it after the whistle.

“Man, it’s intense out there,” tight end Todd Heap said. “Everybody’s trying to learn what’s going on and everybody’s a little bit on edge.”

In a way, that’s how Harbaugh likes it. Seeing two players fight on the practice field is nothing new, but to have the rest of the team join the fray is a sight not often seen on the football field. Yet none of the coaches immediately sought to restore peace, and defensive coordinator Rex Ryan was actually laughing as he stood in the background.

Ryan is one of the few holdovers from the Billick regime. He worked with Harbaugh years ago at the University of Cincinnati, and knows that Baltimore’s new head coach won’t let things get too crazy.

“He’s always in control. When it’s not going his way, he’ll get it going his way,” Ryan said. “That’s part of it right now. I think there are a lot of people that are anxious and uncertain. We want it to be chaos. That’s what John’s talked about. You look at the tempo of our offense, the way we’re setting things up and the different things we’re doing under Cam. It’s just new. It’s more pressure on everybody.”

Pressure is trying to rebound from a 5-11 season, which is exactly what the Ravens are attempting to do. Throw in the uncertainty of playing for a new coach, an undetermined depth chart and the fatigue that comes from practicing twice a day, and just about anything can happen.

“You go 5-11, guess what? You’d better be intense,” defensive end Trevor Pryce said. “It doesn’t matter who the coach is. You have to develop a sense of urgency at 5-11. You have to earn the right to have a calm and relaxing offseason, and you can’t do that at 5-11.”

Pryce, however, can’t condone the fighting. Not while teams like the New England Patriots and New York Giants are using their minicamps to build on successful seasons.

“Go ahead, wrestle each other, pull each other’s facemasks, yeah, great, wonderful, have fun. Now we gotta go play the Patriots. They won 18 straight football games. The Giants won the Super Bowl. Do we really have to prove we’re all men?” Pryce said. “If we can get all this out of the way now, scrapping and being undisciplined and 80 men jumping in a pile together, fine. So now we’ve proved I’m tough, you’re tough, hooray, we’re all tough. Are we a good football team? What’s more important, proving you’re tough or proving we’re a good football team? That’s how I look at it.”

Pryce said he was laughing at his teammates as they piled together in the middle of the field. It wasn’t funny to Cousins and Gordon, but afterward they seemed at peace with each other.

“At the end of the day, we’re teammates,” Cousins said.

“We settled it like men,” Gordon insisted. “No hard feelings.”

Harbaugh liked the show of emotion, but doesn’t expect to see a similar show anytime soon.

“We had a good practice. Our guys are competitive, they like football, it’s going to happen,” he said. “I think as they realize the tempo of the practice is going to stay the same, it will probably happen less and less. They’re a feisty bunch.”
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Trevor Pryce is smarter than I thought. he knows the team needs urgency, and seems to be working hard. good leadership

maybe they all learned something from this....oh wait, they are the ravens
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 5,796 Times in 2,152 Posts
Default Re: Ravens in mass brawl at minicamp

At least nobody got stabbed.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I really believe that this new coach is gonna be a big lift for this team that is in a rebuilding situation real soon. This team still has talent on defense thanks to Ryan, but the offense must catch up eventually for this team to compete again. As a Steelers fan, I would love to hear the same kind of intensity coming from the steelers camp as well... wouldnt you?
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 05:44 PM   #4
Crushzilla
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
I really believe that this new coach is gonna be a big lift for this team that is in a rebuilding situation real soon. This team still has talent on defense thanks to Ryan, but the offense must catch up eventually for this team to compete again. As a Steelers fan, I would love to hear the same kind of intensity coming from the steelers camp as well... wouldnt you?
Um... no....

Although I can think of a few people who will agree with you... After all, I was nearly crucified for criticizing Carter of a similar thing.

There's a difference between intensity and stupidity. Getting into a fist fight with your "teammates" is stupidity. Playing from whistle to whistle, chasing the ball carrier, bull rushing linemen, battling until you throw up is intensity.

Which would you like to see from our guys?
Old 05-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

haha the ratbirds suck

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 06:53 PM   #6
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
I hear Ray Lewis always has a knife in his sock... oh wait he didnt stab that guy!
Old 05-10-2008, 07:01 PM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

If these guys would have access to their weapons, namely their guns, there would be dead Rats littered all over the field...and given the recent record of some of those Ratbirds, that may not be an entirely undesirable thing.
Old 05-10-2008, 07:37 PM   #8
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
In other words, Ray Lewis wasn't there?
HughC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 07:42 PM   #9
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

So the new Ravens coaching staff is so old school that they believe that teammates getting in to a fight is a good thing, that it shows intensity and desire. What other old school plans do they have, bringing back the single wing offense? Or are they enlightened enough to try out the wishbone this year?
HughC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 09:00 PM   #10
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

im not sure whether to praise the ravens for their intensity or to crufiy them for their lack of team chemistry/immaturity.

im leaning toward it's a good thing but who knows... harbaugh could end up having no control over the players and end up like atlanta...

i also can't help but wonder who joe flacco took on in this brawl...