Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 05-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 7,085 Times in 3,194 Posts
Default In Cat and Mouse Game, Patriots Are Central Players

Interesting article in The New York Times on how guess who is the source of most complaints to the NFL league office about electronic surveillance

The N.F.L. has embraced technological advances that have brought dizzying changes to coaching strategy in the past decade.

With the advances have come new temptations for coaches to gain an unfair advantage. Every Monday during the football season, the league says, it fields complaints from and about many teams.

If a persistent problem is identified, the league’s eight-member competition committee suggests changes to rules. In discussions of changes since 2000, one team, the New England Patriots, has surfaced more than any other, according to a longtime N.F.L. team executive with direct knowledge of the meetings.

Copies of the 2007 manual obtained by The Times show that many of the recent changes concern policies on the placement of cameras and microphones, among other tactics the Patriots have been accused of pressing to their advantage.

The N.F.L. team executive said the Patriots were the subject of most of the accusations discussed in the rules committee’s deliberations. The team’s recent success and tight-lipped approach, as personified by Belichick, has played a role.

“They were the only team, really,” the executive said. “Clearly, they were the team mentioned far more than anybody else.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/sp...all/11nfl.html

The Pats success this decade is as tainted as that of Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens
Atlanta Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:38 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: In Cat and Mouse Game, Patriots Are Central Players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Interesting article in The New York Times on how guess who is the source of most complaints to the NFL league office about electronic surveillance

The N.F.L. has embraced technological advances that have brought dizzying changes to coaching strategy in the past decade.

With the advances have come new temptations for coaches to gain an unfair advantage. Every Monday during the football season, the league says, it fields complaints from and about many teams.

If a persistent problem is identified, the league’s eight-member competition committee suggests changes to rules. In discussions of changes since 2000, one team, the New England Patriots, has surfaced more than any other, according to a longtime N.F.L. team executive with direct knowledge of the meetings.

Copies of the 2007 manual obtained by The Times show that many of the recent changes concern policies on the placement of cameras and microphones, among other tactics the Patriots have been accused of pressing to their advantage.

The N.F.L. team executive said the Patriots were the subject of most of the accusations discussed in the rules committee’s deliberations. The team’s recent success and tight-lipped approach, as personified by Belichick, has played a role.

“They were the only team, really,” the executive said. “Clearly, they were the team mentioned far more than anybody else.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/11/sp...all/11nfl.html

The Pats success this decade is as tainted as that of Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens

Bonds, Clemens and the pats...

What a tangled web they weaved, when at first, they practiced to be stupid.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

The longer this plays out the more it is apparent this not an incident, but a long term pattern/MO.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 10:47 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
The longer this plays out the more it is apparent this not an incident, but a long term pattern/MO.
Well, why not, when the league office continues to let them get away with it?

Quote:
The Jacksonville Jaguars lodged a complaint against the Patriots about the failure of a coach-to-quarterback radio system during a January 2006 playoff game, a former Jaguars executive said....The N.F.L. team executive said the rules committee had discussed that complaint in particular. Aiello said the league had found no violation....But in the league’s changes to its operations manual for 2007, it mandated that neutral operators, who have not previously worked that team’s home games, run the coach-to-quarterback radio systems, as well as game clocks, for playoff games.
The clock part is particularly ironic, considering all the bitching I've heard about the game clock during the SB from Pats* fans. The more that comes out, the more my contempt for that franchise grows.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Well, why not, when the league office continues to let them get away with it?

The clock part is particularly ironic, considering all the bitching I've heard about the game clock during the SB from Pats* fans. The more that comes out, the more my contempt for that franchise grows.

I just keep thinking about the movie Mooseport, Maine. Gene Hackman as the president... He just KNEW that the golf ball was going to bounce out... kinda like the fans of the Pats....

Wait for the bounce...wait for the bounce....

But the bounce doesn't come when you don't cheat!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,969 Times in 3,411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

but roger and barry are great.

its only just that this stuff is all coming out in the past year, because it has been obvious (to the majority) that the patriots have lacked the skill, talent, and coaching to match their "success".

i only wish we had more patfans on this board to tell us how stupid and awful of a coach bill cowher was for all of his coaching decisions that led to the losses in the 01 and 04 afcc games.

anyways theres no reason that "genius " label isnt replaced with "cheater".

and bill cowher is more of a hall of fame worthy coach than that pos. the past 3 years have proven belichick is more prone to "choking".
Old 05-11-2008, 05:10 AM   #7
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
i only wish we had more patfans on this board to tell us how stupid and awful of a coach bill cowher was for all of his coaching decisions that led to the losses in the 01 and 04 afcc games.
Tony, maybe we need a first class detective to help us find some patfans. They all seem to be missing or presumed lost.

Any ideas about detectives??? The only famous one I know is Sherlock Holmes.
Old 05-11-2008, 06:24 AM   #8
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post

I don't know how you can call the Patys stupid. They traded $750,000 and a late 1st round pick for 4 Super Bowl Rings. That sound like a good deal to me.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:46 AM   #9
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

As much as I want Belichick to fry, that Times story is pretty lame. One unnamed source, a vague reference to the clock, and that's their "proof"? A very weak case in my opinion. Looks like something a Jet fan would write. I was expecting some solid statistics, cold hard facts, and multiple examples. As far as the headsets not working, as I recall it was the 49ers and Broncos who were notorious for that trick. They'd have their first fifteen plays scripted so having no headset was no problem for them, but it was for their opponent.

I prefer that we take the high road and simply circle November 30th on the calendar. Let the Pats and their fans sweat out Goodell's decision. Let them put their foot in their collective mouths by declaring "victory" if there is no further punishment even though their reputation has forever been tarnished. Revenge will be sweet.
HughC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

I may get slammed, but its my opinion and I dont care... so here goes...

Notice a rise of the the success of the "Patriots" coinciding with "the war on terror"?

CONSPIRACY!!!!! LOL. But seriously... I think there may be something to it....