Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-12-2008, 12:55 AM   #1
SteelersMongol
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 2401
Unhappy Man Jailed After Daughter Fails To Get GED

Quote:
Man Jailed After Daughter Fails To Get GED

A Fairfield man is in jail because his daughter hasn't gotten her General Equivalency Diploma (GED).

A judge ordered the father to stay on top of his daughter's education months ago and when that order wasn't followed, Brian Gegner was sentenced to 180-days in the Butler County jail.

The daughter, Brittany Gegner, says her father shouldn't be punished for her problems.

Especially, she says because she's now 18, an adult.

"It's ridiculously wrong," said Brittany Gegner.

"Of all the punishments they could have given him, to make him go to jail?," she asked. "I mean, probation until I get my GED would be reasonable, but to send him to jail? That's overboard."

Butler County Juvenile Court Judge David Niehaus ordered Gegner to jail for contributing to the delinquency of a minor by not following a court order which required Gegner to be sure his daughter got her GED.

This comes after ongoing problems of Brittany skipping classes at Fairfield High School and then, Butler Tech.

While Brian Gegner had custody of her, Brittany says it was while she lived with her mother that she was truant.

"I'm about to be 19 and my Dad's being punished for something I did when I was 16," she said.

"It's like I should, if anybody should be punished for this," said Brittany. "I would way rather me go to jail than my Dad."

"They probably should have punished me if they were going to punish anybody," said Brittany's mother Shana Roach. "Because she did live with me at the time, but because he had the custody, that's why he's being punished."

"But I don't understand the punishment all together because she's going to school, she's been going for four months," said Roach. "The only thing that's holding her back is she can't pass her math test."

Brittany has a daughter who's about 18-months-old.

She says she's determined to pass the GED for her daughter and her father.

The judge says if she passes the test, her father could get out of jail before his six-months sentence is up.

Brittany's step-mother worries the time in jail will ruin their family.

She says he could lose the job he's worked for 15-years.

"I never dreamed they would put him in jail for this for six months it's crazy," said Stephanie Gegner, Brittany's step-mother.

"He has no control over what his adult daughter does," she said. "He just doesn't."

Court administrators say that even though Brittany is an adult now, the case remains active in their court because she was a juvenile when the problems started.

They say this type of punishment is rare and reserved for extreme cases when court orders aren't met.

http://www.wcpo.com/news/local/story...1-9859f1f6137e
What U guys think? First, I thought that dad was punished 4 something he had done 2 his daughter cuz she didn't pass the exam. Then as I was reading I went "What the ..." How would U feel if U were the father?
Old 05-12-2008, 01:30 AM   #2
Borski
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 3150
Default Re: Man Jailed After Daughter Fails To Get GED

Thats dumb.

But I do see a reason that there could be a punishment like that. I know someone who is "homeschooling" their kids just to save money (I have nothing against homeschooling) but they aren't teaching their kids, on is 8 and the other is 10 and the 10 yo can barely read and the 8 yo cant read. and from what I have seen they take nearly 0 hours out of the day to teach them anything, I feel sorry for the kids.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:20 AM   #3
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borski View Post
But I do see a reason that there could be a punishment like that. I know someone who is "homeschooling" their kids just to save money (I have nothing against homeschooling) but they aren't teaching their kids, on is 8 and the other is 10 and the 10 yo can barely read and the 8 yo cant read. and from what I have seen they take nearly 0 hours out of the day to teach them anything, I feel sorry for the kids.
i understand yoru feelings toward this family.

However I know a family that has homeschooled their entire family (2 boys and 1 girl) and all 3 children are brilliant. I feel it has all to do with the parents and in this case the father should not be punished at all.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:13 AM   #4
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

What he got is undeserved, it is the mother who the daughter was living with that should be in jail. Some judge going for re-election and tryuing to make a name for himself .

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhee Rhee View Post
i understand yoru feelings toward this family.

However I know a family that has homeschooled their entire family (2 boys and 1 girl) and all 3 children are brilliant. I feel it has all to do with the parents and in this case the father should not be punished at all.
WE have one living not to far from us that has 4 kids being home schooled by a mother who can not read above the 3rd grade level herself. None of the kids can read at level, ages from 6 to 12. She keeps moving from district to district. She is also disabled and wants me to help her, saying the school districts are picking on her because she is disabled. Told her to send her kids to school, she replied then they wouldn't be home to help her.

The 12 year old reads at 2nd grade level. New welfare cases being raised by a welfare case. The kids did tell me how to get free telephone service and cable television.

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote