Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default There's no place like home

There's no place like home
Monday, May 12, 2008
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

It’s not often athletes get the chance to play for their hometown team but sixth-round draft pick Ryan Mundy has that opportunity staring him right in the face.

Mundy is from Pittsburgh and played at Woodland Hills High School. He then headed to Michigan where he played three seasons before transferring to West Virginia for his final year of eligibility.

And now, he is back home and couldn’t be happier.

“Oh man, it is crazy and I have definitely come full circle,” said Mundy, the 6-1, 205 pound safety. “This is a very exciting time for me and my family right now. I couldn’t really ask for a better place than to come back home and play for the hometown Steelers.”

Mundy was a player the Steelers had on their radar leading up to the draft, something that did take him by surprise at first.

“I knew that the Steelers were interested in me when they came down to my pro day,” said Mundy. “They really took me by surprise because I really didn’t hear too much about them prior to my pro day. After my pro day they had me up there for a visit. I knew that there was some interest there from the organization. I was just hoping that it would work out and fortunately it did.”

This isn’t the first time that Mundy had the opportunity to play in front of the home crowd. He could have attended the University of Pittsburgh, but his mother thought it would be best for him to branch out so he headed to Michigan.

“I easily could have stayed at home and gone to Pitt and stayed in a comfort zone but my mother really pushed me to get out of the city and get out on my own and see things for myself and that really helped me mature with the situations that I have been through,” said Mundy. “Like I said it is full circle now; I am coming back home and it feels good.”

After playing three seasons at Michigan, in addition to a redshirt junior year, Mundy needed a change. He made a move that got him a bit closer to home and turned out great for him.

“I just needed a fresh start and West Virginia provided that opportunity to me,” said Mundy. ”I could have stayed at Michigan but I felt like the opportunity came for me to go to West Virginia so I said to myself ‘sometimes in life you have to take risks.’ This was definitely one risk that I took that worked out in my favor.”

Another risk Mundy took along the way was wavering in his loyalty to the Steelers. Mundy watched the team growing up, enjoying seeing players like Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Greg Lloyd and Kevin Greene excel on defense. But, he did have one moment where he slipped up.

“The funny thing is a lot of people in my family give me flack because when the Steelers went to Super Bowl XXX against the Cowboys I was actually rooting for the Cowboys because I was the ultimate Deion Sanders fan,” admitted Mundy. “Wherever Deion was, that was who I was rooting for.”
http://news.steelers.com/article/89279/
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,520 Times in 1,101 Posts
Default Re: There's no place like home

Hope Mundy pans out and give us some depth on deffense.
Galax Steeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Nice article.. I just hope the same thing galax.. we need that very much so. Mundy has good size for the safety position.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:03 PM   #4
Hammer Of The GODS
Starter
Supporter

Member Number: 8148

I hope he can contribute because he's home grown and I like seeing players from my neck of the woods make the NFL.

But..........

A kid born and raised in Steeler Country rooting for the cowboys???????

Me thinks he was dropped on his head as a baby!

Good luck to him because his success makes the Steelers that much better!

GO BURGH!

PENS 2 - FLYERS 0 YEA BABY!
Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 PM   #5
moedap
Starter

Member Number: 2890

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
There's no place like home
“The funny thing is a lot of people in my family give me flack because when the Steelers went to Super Bowl XXX against the Cowboys I was actually rooting for the Cowboys because I was the ultimate Deion Sanders fan,” admitted Mundy. “Wherever Deion was, that was who I was rooting for.”
http://news.steelers.com/article/89279/

Thats funny b/c the only reason I became a Steeler's fan in 74-75 living in New England was because of Franco Harris. Its a good thing free agency back then wasnt like it is today b/c had Franco Harris been traded to the Tampa Bay Bucs...
moedap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:33 PM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
I just hope this kid doesn't turn out to be a big wuss like Sanders was.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 01:37 PM   #7
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,830 Times in 2,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I just hope this kid doesn't turn out to be a big wuss like Sanders was.

LLT, everything i read makes him seem too good to be true. any idea why he wasnt drafted higher? is it because he wasnt invited to the combine or had poor numbers? he seems to have every intangible you could ask for.

kinda like gay and anthony smith were off the radar, i feel this guy could eventually become a solid contributor in the "big nickel" package. atleast a solid back up for when we go with 3 safeties.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:38 PM   #8
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

This kid is supposedly a smart football player. I really hope he pans out as well. Like Elvis said, he has great size for the position.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

LLT, everything i read makes him seem too good to be true. any idea why he wasnt drafted higher? is it because he wasnt invited to the combine or had poor numbers? he seems to have every intangible you could ask for.

kinda like gay and anthony smith were off the radar, i feel this guy could eventually become a solid contributor in the "big nickel" package. atleast a solid back up for when we go with 3 safeties.
I think anytime you transfer from one school to another for only one year ...it tends to hurt your draft status. You have a coach or coaches that go to bat for you and talk with scouts about your abilities...when you leave, you lose all those possible connections and have to rely on one years worth of numbers for your current coaches to try and "sell" you.
He actually had good numbers at his pro day,

here is a pretty good analysis:

[
Quote:
Positives: Well-built with good muscle mass, large hands and strong upper body power... Plants and breaks on the ball with authority...Can immediately close, showing explosive acceleration, especially when working in the short area...Turns quickly to get into deep routes, displaying good recovery speed when he loses track of the receiver...Breaks on the receivers well, taking proper angles to the ball...Competes for the high pass with his leaping skills...Has dependable hands to make the interception...Stays low in his pads when attacking the line to fill rush lanes...Wraps firmly, extending his arms well to secure and drag down the ballcarriers...Stays under control coming out of his backpedal...Very athletic defender, known for his hard work ethic...Decisive in his initial reaction and works well down the line, showing the agility to be effective in run support...Will lay out to make the play and has adequate hand usage to escape blockers...Has good change-of-direction skills...His aggressiveness taking on blocks could see him work on the in the box in Cover-2 situations...Consistent run defender who is a secure wrap-up tackler...Has a blue-collar work ethic and refuses to let nagging injuries keep him out of action...Diagnoses the play properly and reacts quickly to the underneath pass...Effectively wrestles the larger backs to the ground and is good at pushing the outside running game back into traffic... Has the long arms and leaping ability to combat for jump balls...Best when playing downhill, as he can generate the forward burst and take proper angles to shorten the path to the plays in front of him.

Negatives: Shows some wasted movements when dropping back in pass coverage, as he does get upright in his backpedal...Loses focus at times, working toward the ball and lacks a strong closing burst...When he uses the shuffle technique, it causes him to stand too high in his backpedal...More comfortable playing the zone, as he does not have the second gear needed to stay tight on the receivers in man coverage...Better suited as an in-the-box safety, as he has the power to support vs. the run, but lacks the range and has some stiffness in his turns, which is evident when trying to handle the opponent one-on-one...Loses steps working in transition...Needs to improve his lower body strength (when he takes a side rather than squaring up to the big ballcarriers, the opponent can break his arm tackles because of his marginal base)...Not a good special teams player (does not seem to relish those duties), but will have to become more comfortable playing on those squads at the next level (not a projected starter and special teams play are needed for him to secure a roster spot).

Compares To: KERRY RHODES-New York Jets...Like Rhodes, Mundy is a good downhill player and has soft hands and good ball skills to come up with the interception. He is not the playmaker Rhodes has shown in flashes and doesn't really explode behind his hits. He needs to improve his lower body strength to punish ballcarriers, but is a very efficient wrap-up tackler taking on receivers in space. Play him as a centerfielder, deep in the secondary, and watch how he does a good job of closing on the ball and keeping the action in front of him.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 06:01 AM   #10
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

Quote:
Play him as a centerfielder, deep in the secondary, and watch how he does a good job of closing on the ball and keeping the action in front of him.
Sounds like exactly what we need, the perfect compliment to Troy's aggresive style.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote