Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-12-2008, 04:11 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,943 Times in 3,008 Posts
Default Arians to implement Pony Backfield

this is a nice explanation of why to use this sub-package, the versatility it brings, and the mismatches it creates.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessi...o&confirm=true

Quote:
Offenses building backfield packages to challenge defenses
By Pat Kirwan | NFL.com
Senior Analyst

The period of the year following the NFL Draft is when teams assess their talent and begin to develop personnel packages that feature their best player combinations.

Finding the most effective matchups against offensive personnel groups is the biggest challenges facing defenses today. Defensive coaches may want to pay attention to the latest trend for offenses across the league to create those matchup nightmares.

It's not a new concept, but more teams are building the possibility of using the "Pony Backfield or Rocket Backfield." The package features two running backs in the game at one time with no fullback. In fact, teams with two good running backs who feature similar skills -- like Baltimore with Willis McGahee and recent draft pick Ray Rice -- aren't the main candidates for this concept.

In New Orleans, the Saints have an ideal pairing of a pony backfield in Deuce McAllister and Reggie Bush -- a power back and a speed guy -- to challenge what defenses will try to do. If a team can present a power run series, plus a player who can win an individual matchup against a linebacker or safety, it has the formula to create the chess match offenses want to see. It forces defenses to decide between their base package, nickle package (three corners) or big nickle package (three safeties).

"We have the players to utilize a pony backfield package now, and we know the threat of the reverse by the speed back off the inside zone play and even a QB bootleg will hold the outside defenders and give us a front we can block to keep the running game moving down the field," said one head coach. "If teams still commit to the run then we feel our speed back gets the matchup we will take advantage of in the passing game."

We've been hearing how NFL teams believe the running game is a two-headed situation, and consequently we see a team like Minnesota draft Adrian Peterson when they already had a proven 1,000-yard back in Chester Taylor. If the Vikings challenge themselves with the old coaching adage that they want to play the best eleven on offense at the same time, then there's a place for both backs on the field.

Peterson has the speed to scare most secondary players. What if he lines up on the line of scrimmage on the opposite side of the two wide receivers? A quick slant route versus a safety and he's in an open field situation right away. Walk a linebacker out to help the safety and here comes Taylor on a run play in the guard/center gap.

As Titans head coach Jeff fisher said to me this week, "We need to get the ball in space of the good players."

Here's a look at four NFL teams that took a big step towards building the pony backfield package during the draft. As they experiment, defenses around the league have to decide how they will combat the ermerging challenge.

1. Pittsburgh. Willie Parker can fly, and rookie Rashard Mendenhall has the power and burst to deliver big runs. If Parker lines up in the slot, with Mendenhall in the backfield, all things are possible. Mendenhall could motion out of the backfield and Parker could take a speed sweep. The Steelers may be known for the old fashion power run game, but they are ready to change that look on a moments notice.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:17 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: Arians to implement Pony Backfield

With the way things are changing in football...

Pretty soon we are going to find a way to send a guard on a receiver pattern legally.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Big fan of both guys in the backfield. It makes the defense have to stay honest on the run first, opening the passing lanes behind the linebackers just a little more. When you have a fullback, the LBs can just focus on his movement and attack the hole, ignoring the potential of him actually getting the ball except when the moon is blue in the third month that mars is in the southern sky. With 2 backs, they have to focus on the potential of both of them getting the ball.

I look forward to next season very much.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
With the way things are changing in football...

Pretty soon we are going to find a way to send a guard on a receiver pattern legally.
technically, if the guard declares as elligable and lines up outside the tackle like in a goal line formation...well...that could work
Old 05-12-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
technically, if the guard declares as elligable and lines up outside the tackle like in a goal line formation...well...that could work

Facetious... I was being facetious!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:28 PM   #6
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,943 Times in 3,008 Posts

its important to note this WILL NOT be our base package.

but with the pony backfield vs rented mule defense, who do you think wins that battle?

with the 3 TE sets we have worked on, our 4 WR set, plus our base package power running game, we will definitely present alot of versatility and give opposing defensive coordinators headaches gameplanning for.
Old 05-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

And with them not being able to Tape our signals now...things could be even better on the defensive side of the ball!!!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:39 PM   #8
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

So, what they're saying is, it's better not to be one-dimensional? Good! I'm glad we got that.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:45 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
So, what they're saying is, it's better not to be one-dimensional? Good! I'm glad we got that.
quite amazing after HOW many years of being just that?
Old 05-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
And with them not being able to Tape our signals now...things could be even better on the defensive side of the ball!!!

just make sure we dont issue any guarantees

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote