Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 11-10-2005, 11:51 PM   #1
BlitzburghRockCity
Banned

Member Number: 70
Thumbs up Good article on why its Good to be a Steeler Fan ...

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?B...&PAG=461&rfi=9

Liking the Pittsburgh Steelers has never been so easy.

The landscape of professional sports continues to unravel down an unsavory path, with the likes of Terrell Owens dominating headlines.

Over the past 30 years, there have been few entities more stable than the Steelers, and despite the occasional criticism for being too old-fashioned, it's refreshing to have a franchise known simply for playing football.

A mere look at the sports section this week indicates a frightening trend.

* The Owens Saga came to a pathetic but predictable head in Philadelphia.

* Phillies pitcher Ugueth Urbina was charged with attempted murder after allegedly attacking someone with a machete after dousing them with gasoline.

* Two Carolina Panthers cheerleaders were arrested for having sex in a public bathroom and then instigating a fight with their accuser.

* Six football players at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga were charged with the gang rape of a student.

Not a pretty picture. There are more athletes getting arrested or kicked off teams than there are good stories out there.

Through it all, an organization like the Steelers deserves credit.

There is a reason why things like what the Eagles are going through with Owens don't happen in Pittsburgh. The Rooneys won't allow a player like Owens to play for their team.

The Eagles are being praised for the handling of Owens over the past week. And yes, they did the right thing by suspending him indefinitely following his most recent outburst. But I'm more interested in the past 18 months.

Philadelphia knew this was going to happen. It was inevitable. Yet the Eagles sold their soul to win the Super Bowl last year with Owens, and they almost made that dream come true before falling short to the Patriots.

It might be frustrating for some fans that the Steelers never sell out to win that elusive fifth Super Bowl, but really, it's an increasingly admirable trait.

When the Steelers do win that fifth Super Bowl - and given the general expertise of the organization, it will happen someday - it should be particularly rewarding for fans who realize their team does things the right way.

A good example of the Steelers sticking to their character came in 1995. Considered by many a Super Bowl team, the Steelers lost star Rod Woodson to a devastating injury on opening weekend.

The Steelers could have used a talented cornerback to replace Woodson, and the agents of Deion Sanders contacted the Rooneys.

No thank you, they said.

Dan Rooney went on to say the Steelers run a football team, not a circus.

Amen.

Sanders and the Dallas Cowboys would go on to beat the Steelers in Super Bowl XXX four months later, but there are more important things than losing a football game.

Vince Lombardi once said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Perhaps when he was coaching the Packers 40 years ago, this was true. But times have changed.

Lombardi didn't have to deal with the business aspect of the NFL and coached players who literally were afraid of him.

He would have put up with Owens for approximately 2.4 seconds.

Of course, Eagles coach Andy Reid probably didn't want to deal with Owens either, but the Philadelphia organization got greedy and left him no choice.

Even the Patriots, the two-time defending champions known for their classy organization, took a chance by trading for running back Corey Dillon two years ago.

The Patriots needed to upgrade their running game so they traded for a twice-convicted felon known as a cancer in the locker room.

The Steelers don't do business that way, and more power to them. Maybe they limit themselves by having such high off-the-field standards, but that's OK.

At the end of the day, their fans can proudly support the team knowing there are decent people inside the helmets.

Most cities aren't so lucky.
BlitzburghRockCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:09 AM   #2
AKSteeler
Draft Prospect

Member Number: 805
Default Re: Good article on why its Good to be a Steeler Fan ...

That is why I have fallen in love with the Steelers. They are a class act organization, stable, and loyal. I love the fact that Cowher has been there so long. I love the story of Art Rooney. I love the fact that we don't have cheerleaders. It's a team that I am proud to say I am a fan of.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
OX1947
Living Legend

Member Number: 723
Thanked 1,247 Times in 627 Posts

I would still take Randy Moss right now. Randy Moss with a Healthy Big Ben would seal the title for us....
OX1947 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:07 AM   #4
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86

Good article. I must say you rarely hear about a Pittsburgh Steelers player getting introuble. Glad it's that way. They represent our city well. Cheers to the Rooneys for running such a classy organization.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:02 PM   #5
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

I love it...and it represents us old school fans well.

I just HAD to post this over at one of those Browns Boards...
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:47 PM   #6
hmmmmmmmm
Banned

Member Number: 679

I just had to comment on some of the stupid shit in this article....it was a must.

"When the Steelers do win that fifth Super Bowl - and given the general expertise of the organization, it will happen someday - it should be particularly rewarding for fans who realize their team does things the right way."

What the hell does he mean by doing it the right way? So because other teams pick of players in free agency that will make their team better its wrong? Just seems stupid to say do it the right way there really is no wrong way.

"Sanders and the Dallas Cowboys would go on to beat the Steelers in Super Bowl XXX four months later, but there are more important things than losing a football game.

Vince Lombardi once said, "Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing."

Perhaps when he was coaching the Packers 40 years ago, this was true. But times have changed.

Lombardi didn't have to deal with the business aspect of the NFL and coached players who literally were afraid of him."

I bet thats what the owners were sayin when the Cowboys laid it down on em "Well at least we didnt have Deion screwing stuff up for us". You play to win no one wants to lose. This game is about winning. No one smiles with a loss and runs around thanking God they dont have players that will help them win.

"He would have put up with Owens for approximately 2.4 seconds.

Of course, Eagles coach Andy Reid probably didn't want to deal with Owens either, but the Philadelphia organization got greedy and left him no choice."

I dont understand this either. So by this guys standards anyone who picked up Owens sold out and has a shitty organization? Owens shoulda retired after the 49ers? I dont see the Eagles as selling out they didnt need him sure but they didnt have a big play WR which they needed.

"Even the Patriots, the two-time defending champions known for their classy organization, took a chance by trading for running back Corey Dillon two years ago.

The Patriots needed to upgrade their running game so they traded for a twice-convicted felon known as a cancer in the locker room."

Well is he a cancer in the Patriots locker room? Now would be the time youd usually here about someone who is a "cancer" bitching. I havent heard anything about him complaining or really causing a distraction. I guess he shoulda just retired with Owens.

"The Steelers don't do business that way, and more power to them. Maybe they limit themselves by having such high off-the-field standards, but that's OK.

At the end of the day, their fans can proudly support the team knowing there are decent people inside the helmets."

So by not doing what it takes to get a superbowl but keeping your team "clean" of media mongers you should be happy? I seriously dont get it.... this game is about winning and winning is the game. My team has one person who talks to the media and says alot of ignorant stuff but by no means is he a "bad person" so I guess my team sold out.
hmmmmmmmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 01:53 PM   #7
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

your boy jerry jones should've "sold out" and drafted randy moss
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:55 PM   #8
hmmmmmmmm
Banned

No no no we got better things to do then win. Winning is bad didnt you read that shit
Old 11-11-2005, 06:18 PM   #9
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591

Just to clarify that we are all on the same page here...the article is clearly stating that character counts and winning with class and dignity is superior to winning at any cost. Are you taking the opposite position? Winning, at any cost, is all that matters?
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:58 PM   #10
hmmmmmmmm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
Just to clarify that we are all on the same page here...the article is clearly stating that character counts and winning with class and dignity is superior to winning at any cost. Are you taking the opposite position? Winning, at any cost, is all that matters?

No im not but it all depends on what you think is a good character. If you get people around the media enough everyone is gonna eventually say sumthin stupid. I dont think Dillon or Deion were that bad. This man basically said organizations dropped down a couple of levels just for picking these guys up. Deion wasnt a problem when he was at Dallas but he loved media attention and how does that hurt a team or organization? He wasnt a problem in the locker room and if anything he took media pressure off of everyone else. Dillon I can see somewhat because he became a problem towards the end in Cincy but hes doing good as a Patriot. To me it was just a stupid article that said because organizations didnt pick up some players they automatically have more dignity and class then any other even if the player picked up wasnt that bad. I can agree though if they pick up a player they know will hurt the team and be a huge distraction just to win. This isnt the case for most teams though and by this no player should be given a chance after making a mistake unless the organization wants to be considered a classless organization with no dignity.