Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-14-2008, 03:59 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Davis doesn't have to look far for advice

Davis doesn't have to look far for advice
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

If rookie linebacker Bruce Davis has any questions about life in the NFL, he won’t have to go far for an answer. The Steelers third-round draft pick from UCLA only has to pick up his phone and call home.

His father, Bruce Davis, Sr., played offensive tackle for the Oakland Raiders and Houston Oilers, a career that spanned from 1979-89.

“It was the best experience that I could have as a little boy,” said Davis. “Every kid wants to grow up being like their dad, and I’m no exception. It just so happens that my dad was an NFL football player.

“He was always there for me growing up. He would help me scout out the guys that I would be playing the next week in college. He has been a great tool to have.”

Davis started every game last season for UCLA at right defensive end and amassed a team-high 12 tackles. He also led the Bruins with 15.5 tackles for a loss.

He will make a change in the NFL, though, as the Steelers plan on using him at outside linebacker. It’s something that he welcomes.

“I actually played outside linebacker my sophomore year at UCLA,” said the 6-3, 252 pound Davis. “I went to the Senior Bowl as an outside linebacker. I feel very comfortable and feel that I have the skills to do so.”

And the Steelers feel just as comfortable with him making that move. He won’t immediately be earmarked at the right or left outside spot, but instead work on both sides to see if he can be a player who can give the team some options.

“We’ve got to have somebody that can swing, play the left and right,” said linebackers coach Keith Butler. “We think he can do that and we think he can play inside linebacker if he had too. Coach (Dick) LeBeau liked that aspect of him from guys he’s had here in the past.”

The Steelers have a long tradition of converting defensive ends in a 4-3, to outside linebackers in the 3-4. They did so with Jason Gildon, Joey Porter and Clark Haggans, all of them having success.

“That’s a great sign,” said Davis. “There is definitely a rich tradition at outside linebacker. It is a great feeling to know that the coaching staff, and hopefully the people of Pittsburgh feel the same way about me. I know the tradition that I have to carry on. Tradition is very important to me.”
http://news.steelers.com/article/89285/
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 05:22 AM   #2
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390
Default Re: Davis doesn't have to look far for advice

Very nice read mr.Lambert. I just like the way this guy looks on video and I think that he has the speed necessary to get the job done in the NFL at OLB for the Steelers. At 6'3" 253 lbs he has great size and he is coming from a team that has played pretty darn good competition along the way as well. I look forward to seeing the guy on the field in the preseason just to see what he can do.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #3
Boomerang
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 7503

Looks good for the future of our D.

"Don't doubt me, because that's when I get stronger.. ..Marvin Hagler
Boomerang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

If our new offensive weapons can give me chills like I think our D is going to..............ooooooooh, baby.

The Steelers D was impressive last year before the injuries hit. With Harrison, Woodley and Timmons and now Davis in the mix and everybody else healthy again (dear football gods, please bring back the "real" Troy!)..........we will be the talk of league again. I don't know how much longer we'll have Dick LeBeau (1 year, 2 years....?), but he'll be going out with a huge bang!
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:14 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
If our new offensive weapons can give me chills like I think our D is going to..............ooooooooh, baby.

The Steelers D was impressive last year before the injuries hit. With Harrison, Woodley and Timmons and now Davis in the mix and everybody else healthy again (dear football gods, please bring back the "real" Troy!)..........we will be the talk of league again. I don't know how much longer we'll have Dick LeBeau (1 year, 2 years....?), but he'll be going out with a huge bang!
I was thinking along the same lines...Imagine this scenerio.

D-line: Smith...Hampton...Kiesel (With a developed McBean and a signed McFarland)

LB Corp: Woodley... Farrior...Timmons...Harrison (With Foote... Davis..Fox..& Humpal)

CB: Taylor and McFadden (with Townsend and Gay)

Safety: Troy & Ryan (with Smith ...Mundy...Carter)

If people have developed and injuries are healed...We caould have one SCARY defense!!!!!!

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 05-14-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:24 AM   #6
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post

D-line: Smith...Hampton...Kiesel (With a developed McBean and a signed McFarland)

LB Corp: Woodley... Farrior...Timmons...Harrison (With Foote... Davis..Fox..& Humpal)

If people have developed and injuries are healed...We caould have one SCARY defense!!!!!!
Here kitty, kitty, kitty............................................. .
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
Here kitty, kitty, kitty............................................. .
Poor, poor kitty...
Old 05-14-2008, 02:17 PM   #8
xXTheSteelKingsXx
Team Owner

Member Number: 5803

Quote:

I like this roster LLT but I think that Arnold Harrison will make the team over Humpal. Also I don't see us carrying 5 safties. I think that Tyrone will be the odd man out.
Old 05-14-2008, 03:47 PM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,029 Times in 1,276 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXTheSteelKingsXx View Post
I like this roster LLT but I think that Arnold Harrison will make the team over Humpal. Also I don't see us carrying 5 safties. I think that Tyrone will be the odd man out.
Don't get me wrong but carter showed flashes of good play but is not good enough to fill that position.
Galax Steeler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 04:27 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Davis doesn't have to look far for advice
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

If rookie linebacker Bruce Davis has any questions about life in the NFL, he won’t have to go far for an answer. The Steelers third-round draft pick from UCLA only has to pick up his phone and call home.

His father, Bruce Davis, Sr., played offensive tackle for the Oakland Raiders and Houston Oilers, a career that spanned from 1979-89.

“It was the best experience that I could have as a little boy,” said Davis. “Every kid wants to grow up being like their dad, and I’m no exception. It just so happens that my dad was an NFL football player.

“He was always there for me growing up. He would help me scout out the guys that I would be playing the next week in college. He has been a great tool to have.”

Davis started every game last season for UCLA at right defensive end and amassed a team-high 12 tackles. He also led the Bruins with 15.5 tackles for a loss.

He will make a change in the NFL, though, as the Steelers plan on using him at outside linebacker. It’s something that he welcomes.

“I actually played outside linebacker my sophomore year at UCLA,” said the 6-3, 252 pound Davis. “I went to the Senior Bowl as an outside linebacker. I feel very comfortable and feel that I have the skills to do so.”

And the Steelers feel just as comfortable with him making that move. He won’t immediately be earmarked at the right or left outside spot, but instead work on both sides to see if he can be a player who can give the team some options.

“We’ve got to have somebody that can swing, play the left and right,” said linebackers coach Keith Butler. “We think he can do that and we think he can play inside linebacker if he had too. Coach (Dick) LeBeau liked that aspect of him from guys he’s had here in the past.”

The Steelers have a long tradition of converting defensive ends in a 4-3, to outside linebackers in the 3-4. They did so with Jason Gildon, Joey Porter and Clark Haggans, all of them having success.

“That’s a great sign,” said Davis. “There is definitely a rich tradition at outside linebacker. It is a great feeling to know that the coaching staff, and hopefully the people of Pittsburgh feel the same way about me. I know the tradition that I have to carry on. Tradition is very important to me.”
http://news.steelers.com/article/89285/
Notice...

No one asks daddy how he feels about his son playing for the Steelers?!?!
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote