Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551
Default Feelings on Bandwagoners?

I'm rather curious about what you guys feel about the recent surge I've seen of clueless fans.

I'm in Browns country and there has been all these people sporting Steelers gear, which I don't recall seeing a few years ago when we came back. Not all of them, but a lot of them are clueless about just the basic rules and such of football. (Two quick stories a couple of my friends who are Browns fans convinced a kid that LeBron James played for them and another one said that Hines Ward played Defensive back) , and just decided to jump ship "Cuz the Browns suck[ed]", which is a bit insulting, especially when they just have a jersey pretty much as a fashion statement.

Now, I'd never diss any of the hard core steeler fans, anyone who would stick through thick and thin with a team no matter how good or bad (Ex: Anyone who stayed in the stands for you guys for the whole game, opening day in '89 should've gotten an XL Super Bowl ring from the team ) , It's us that makes the rivalry great IMHO. But I'm just curious, what are your guys opinions on fans (not just Steelers, I'm sure there is patsie, Bungals, and even Browns fans that are like this, believe it or not)[ that give up on a team and switch like this?
RodWoodsonwasprettycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,603 Posts
Default Re: Feelings on Bandwagoners?

Bettisfan your up!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #3
Blitzburgh_Fever
Starter

Member Number: 7228

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Bettisfan your up!!!
Buuuurn
Blitzburgh_Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:00 PM   #4
Steel Buckeye
Banned

Member Number: 8276

I live in Columbus, OH. It's the biggest major city next to L.A. without an NFL franchise. Jumping on NFL bandwagons is just what people do here. Steelers fans have a joke here, "what do you call a Bengals fan after a losing season? A Browns fan."
Steel Buckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:04 PM   #5
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Buckeye View Post
I live in Columbus, OH. It's the biggest major city next to L.A. without an NFL franchise. Jumping on NFL bandwagons is just part of the culture here.
Go Buckeyes! ;)

Can't really blame you there, Heck, I was very very skeptical of Brady Quinn being described as a Browns fan just because he lived in Ohio as ESPN was saying, until I saw him in the Bernie Kosar jersey and..then I changed my mind..but thats another story.

Of course..If someones from Y-Town, I'm a little more sympathetic as well, as thats like..Half way between both cities.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #6
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,284 Times in 1,603 Posts

Every teams going to have bandwagoners, but as I've always been told a true fan sticks with their team through thick and thin. As a steeler fan I've been there for the cliff stoudt, bubby brister and so on and I'm still here.

Especially don't switch teams just because you moved to a different state.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:11 PM   #7
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACH1 View Post
Every teams going to have bandwagoners, but as I've always been told a true fan sticks with their team through thick and thin. As a steeler fan I've been there for the cliff stoudt, bubby brister and so on and I'm still here.
Can definetly relate.

Try having Charlie Frye and Jeff Garcia as starters.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:14 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
Can definetly relate.

Try having Charlie Frye and Jeff Garcia as starters.
Or getting your team ripped away from you entirely - Modell is scum.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #9
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Or getting your team ripped away from you entirely - Modell is scum.

He's more than that.

Quote:
* Fired the single most prolific coach in football history, Paul Brown, for refusing to play a man dying from lukemia only two years into his ownership of the team.
o If it was about the trade, who the hell was Modell to question it? Brown was a 6% team owner, too.
o If it was about not playing Davis, well he died a year after being diagnosed and Modell is a bastard.
* Drove arguably the greatest running back of all time, Jim Brown, out of town and into retirement at only 29 years of age
o Because he wanted to come late to training camp. Great trade off, Art.
* World's largest hypocrite
o Brooklyn Dodger fan who "felt saddened and betrayed" when the team left in 1958
o Criticized the Raiders move to LA in 1982
o Criticized Robert Irsay for moving the Colts in 1984
o Lied to a city and stole its team in 1996
* Incredibly, claims he was "losing money" owning a NFL franchise in the 1990s in a city with the most loyal fan base in the NFL [1]
o VOLUNTARILY PASSED on the Gateway project and then cited his lack of a new stadium as a reason for the move.
* Moved during the day not in the middle of the night which eliminates any possibility of it being betrayal
* Initially wanted to steal the team history, too, until fans and public pressure from both Cleveland AND Baltimore convinced him to leave it.
* Hasn't visited Cleveland since 1996 and won't until after he dies if he knows what's good for him
* Will never, ever make it into the Hall of Fame because the drive from Cleveland to Canton is short enough that there's still plenty of gas left in the tank to torch the entire profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfiltering building
o Seriously, no way in hell
* When asked why he didn't just sell the franchise, claimed he wanted to leave it to his family
o Then sold the franchise years later in Baltimore, to someone not in his family
From SAS Wiki.

A fellow Browns fan once said "It's Amazing that the Browns were even able to win WITH modell". Thanks to all of you who supported us back in '95 BTW.
Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

I don't mind fans who start to admire a team because of how they handle themselves.

For instance, I really didn't care for the Bills. Then, after Everett and how the team dealt with it... and how they played their heart out against a few teams... I admired them and followed them a little bit.

If, during that time... I found out the Steelers cheated (cough cough pats cough), well, I may have followed the BIlls a bit more closely.

Fan though, that drop a team because they are losing... and simply claims another team as their favorite...

well... the bandwagon gets a little tight at times.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote