Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-17-2008, 02:24 AM   #11
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512
Default Re: Feelings on Bandwagoners?

I can understand fans not being as excited about their favorite team - whether it be the 'local' team or another team they have followed - when the team goes through a losing stretch. It doesn't make sense to be vocal about how great your team is when they're 5-11. But if you root for three or more different teams between puberty and retirement, then you are a bandwagonner that could care less about the team and are just trying to associate yourself with a winner.

In doing so, you prove that you not only are not a winner, but you are a certified loser.
HughC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:52 AM   #12
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,059 Times in 1,293 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Look at all the bandwagon fans the cheatriots had last year when they started winning they came out of the closet like bees on honey.
Old 05-17-2008, 06:14 AM   #13
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I just know that I have been a Steelers Bandwagon Rider so long now, I dont think there is any chance at all that I will change wagons..
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:36 AM   #14
Texasteel
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 8323

Quote:
Originally Posted by galax steeler View Post
Look at all the bandwagon fans the cheatriots had last year when they started winning they came out of the closet like bees on honey.
Your talking about Goodell, right.

Simply, The Chief.
Texasteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 06:53 AM   #15
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037

I personally think that the concept of "Bandwagoner" is a very definite trait of Generation Y ( born 1980 -2001). This age group makes up a significant proportion of the online population and of the population who purchase sporting apparel. Thats why we see so many of them.

Quote:
Some characteristics of Gen Y
•Pursue personal satisfaction
• More entrepreneurial savvy and less concerned with permanence
• Not as influenced by authority and role models
• Peer group is important – learning how to operate in a group, connected to friends
Loyalty is a foreign concept to this generation so they are going to change allegiances to whoever or whatever makes them feel good. As a teacher I am getting acustomed to the traits of Gen Y and you just cant fight it.

What I cant stand are the spineless individuals who are too old to belong to Gen Y and should truly understand the concept of loyalty. The ones who followed the 49ers, then then the cowboys, then the patriots are probably now giant fans. They are the ones who stir me up.

Give me a lifelong Cardinals or Browns fan anyday over a bandwagoner.

Just remember that being a true fan is like being married, "for better for worse till death do you part"
Old 05-17-2008, 08:12 AM   #16
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
I personally think that the concept of "Bandwagoner" is a very definite trait of Generation Y ( born 1980 -2001). This age group makes up a significant proportion of the online population and of the population who purchase sporting apparel. Thats why we see so many of them.

Loyalty is a foreign concept to this generation so they are going to change allegiances to whoever or whatever makes them feel good. As a teacher I am getting acustomed to the traits of Gen Y and you just cant fight it.

What I cant stand are the spineless individuals who are too old to belong to Gen Y and should truly understand the concept of loyalty. The ones who followed the 49ers, then then the cowboys, then the patriots are probably now giant fans. They are the ones who stir me up.

Give me a lifelong Cardinals or Browns fan anyday over a bandwagoner.

Just remember that being a true fan is like being married, "for better for worse till death do you part"
I have noticed another characteristic common to that same generation. They all seem to have a false sense of self-worth, with all the confidence in the world but with little substance behind it.

They back this confidence with "window dressing"...and supporting the "newest-best thing" makes them feel like winners.

No investment...no loyalty...just riding the coat tails of fad-dom in order to look cool.

pathetic...but the patriots* need fans also...I guess.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:17 AM   #17
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I cant stand a bandwagoner. They normally know little or nothing about the team they are following, and then ditch the team after a few bumps in the road. I cannot respect that one bit.

Living in Cleveland, I have seen the loyalty of Browns fans, and I respect them (though for the most part, I do not like them).

They lived through Couch-Holcombe-Garcia-Frye-Anderson (and other countless starting QB's who have spot-started over the years)...the worst I have lived through was Kodell Stewert and Tommy Maddox's 6-10 season (seeing how I am only 22 years old, I really don't remember anything before the 1995 season).

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:22 AM   #18
Mosca
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1751

It's pretty simple. EVERY fan is a noob at one time or another, whether it's when you're 3, or when you're 54. So just being a noob and not knowing anything, that's time to laugh, but it's not a time for derision.

You aren't defined as a "bandwagoner" when you join; you're defined as a "bandwagoner" when you jump ship after a tough season.

So, a fan can be a bandwagoner to you when they jump from the Browns, but that fan won't be a bandwagoner to us until (if) he jumps from the Steelers.

It is a truly sorry sight, though, to see a guy wearing the Niners gear in the 80s, the Cowboys in the 90s, the Pats in the 00s.... some people have no pride, no dignity. Nothing makes me happier than seeing a fan wearing his Niners jacket in 2008. I know I've found a kindred spirit.
Mosca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:33 AM   #19
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196
Cool Re: Feelings on Bandwagoners?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Buckeye View Post
I live in Columbus, OH. It's the biggest major city next to L.A. without an NFL franchise. Jumping on NFL bandwagons is just what people do here. Steelers fans have a joke here, "what do you call a Bengals fan after a losing season? A Browns fan."
I heard the NFL was considering bringing the Buckeyes in as an expansion team but they can't bring down thier current payroll anywhere near the salary cap.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 08:50 AM   #20
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosca View Post
You aren't defined as a "bandwagoner" when you join; you're defined as a "bandwagoner" when you jump ship after a tough season.
Gotta disagree...I know people who have NEVER had a real team that they have pledged loyalty to..every year they cheer for who is on top....THAT is the worst kind of bandwagon jumper.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote