Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 05-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default UDFA Travis Williams-Cornerback

UDFA Travis Williams-Cornerback
By Nathan Summers
The Daily Reflector

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

On Saturday night, a dejected Travis Williams went to bed after the end of the third round of the NFL draft.

He was admittedly feeling the sting after training for three months in Orlando, Fla., to help boost his status in the draft and then not hearing his name called.

The former East Carolina cornerback had been hearing from a handful of teams that he was still in their plans, that he would likely be taken in the fourth or fifth round. Instead, Williams was taken during Monday's free agent frenzy by the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"I had been asleep about three hours and I knew the draft was over," Williams said of Saturday night. "But my phone was ringing. I was still getting calls from teams."

Williams said by Monday afternoon, he'd been contacted by Pittsburgh, Washington, Kansas City and the New York Jets.

He said he talked to the Steelers Saturday night, and felt best about trying to fit in there. Pittsburgh recently parted company with a couple of corners, including veteran Allen Rossum. Williams admits, despite his disappointment in not getting drafted, the end result is still the same because he'll get his chance in the NFL.

"They said I'll be able to come in right away and get on kickoff returns and compete at corner," Williams said. "I'm just fortunate to get this opportunity. I've been behind the eight ball a whole bunch of times. That's why I started wearing the No. 8 (at ECU). I expected the worst, but I think it will be a good fit for me."

Williams, since his punt return for a touchdown his freshman season, has been attached to big plays, including a game-winning overtime interception at rival Southern Miss his junior season.

While working his entire four years at becoming a more polished player in defending the pass, Williams wanted the chance to be more of a regular in the Pirates' return game, and said he's hopeful about making a dent on Pittsburgh's special teams unit.

There won't be much time for him to shake off the pain of not being drafted. The Daytona Beach, Fla., native leaves Thursday for Pittsburgh's rookie camp, then takes a two-week break before reporting for mini-camp in mid May. He said he'll be ready for anything.

"They told me to come in and work hard. Whatever I've got to do, I'm going to get in where I fit in," Williams said. "Everybody knows I'm a playmaker. I'm eager to start because I know Pittsburgh believes in me".

http://www.reflector.com/sports/cont...svc=7&cxcat=15
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:39 AM   #2
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,063 Times in 945 Posts
Default Re: UDFA Travis Williams-Cornerback

Quote:
The former East Carolina cornerback had been hearing from a handful of teams that he was still in their plans, that he would likely be taken in the fourth or fifth round.
Quote:
Williams, since his punt return for a touchdown his freshman season, has been attached to big plays, including a game-winning overtime interception at rival Southern Miss his junior season.
Quote:
"They told me to come in and work hard. Whatever I've got to do, I'm going to get in where I fit in," Williams said. "Everybody knows I'm a playmaker. I'm eager to start because I know Pittsburgh believes in me".
I'm actually getting quite excited about the prospects for this years crop.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
I'm actually getting quite excited about the prospects for this years crop.
As you and I had discussed..there are maybe 4 of the UDFA's who have a legit shot at making this roster or the practice squad.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:52 AM   #4
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

It sounds like this young man is hungry and that means alot to the team that he goes to. I would love to see him suceed in Pittsburgh as well. I wish him luck.
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 06:07 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis View Post
It sounds like this young man is hungry and that means alot to the team that he goes to. I would love to see him suceed in Pittsburgh as well. I wish him luck.
Ranked #4 in return yards one year in college. Well worth a gamble.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Jt- Steelers Fan
Water Boy

Member Number: 8545

I hope he gets a chance at returning for us with moore.
Jt- Steelers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:05 AM   #7
DACEB
Banned

Member Number: 2911

The kid could have a shot. I like the idea of keeping a CB who can return much more than keeping a WR as purely a return man. With a league that is going more towards the passing game, the team can't have enough DBs.
DACEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:48 PM   #8
Mistah_Q
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5514

He'll have to beat Anthony Madison to get a roster spot. . he's an inch taller than Madison. He'll also have to beat UDFA Roy Lewis, and most of all. . he'll have to beat Grant Mason, which is who I'm pulling for to grab that last CB spot

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,527 Times in 1,105 Posts

Sounds like the kid has alot of upbeat and potential maybe he can help un on returns I think it would be hard for him to get a corner position.