Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-20-2008, 07:41 PM   #21
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976
Default Re: It's Unanimous

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
Good point about the 49ers - they played fast and loose with the cap in the early years of unfettered free agency themselves and paid dearly for it. If worse comes to worse, I really do hope the Rooneys can stay competitive. However, like you pointed out, the Rooneys KNOW what they're doing when it comes to running a team - Jones and Snyder are meddling fools who spend money like drunken sailors. Thanks - I feel better now.
Yeah, smarts will help us in a huge way -- and having a brand-new stadium and one of the biggest/most loyal fan bases in the league can't hurt either. Let me put it this way: I don't think we'll ever run the risk of turning into the Cardinals or the Lions.

The 49ers have got to be the textbook example of how the cap penalizes stupidity. They actually managed to hold it together in the early years of the cap because Eddie DeBartolo and his staff were right up there with the smartest in the league, so they knew how to stay just a half-step ahead of the cap. Then as soon as his brother-in-law (who didn't know squat about football) took away control of the team, they blew wads of cash on people they shouldn't have, ended up with a ton of dead money, and drove off any talented players and coaches because that was just a bad environment for football.

Basically, the whole franchise went into a free-fall, and as a fan, I got to watch it all unfold right in front of me. And despite the fact that the salary cap is supposed to help bad teams get better, the Niners have stayed right near the bottom because they continue to make dumb moves. I cannot emphasize how much the salary cap magnifies the penalty for dumb moves.

Anyway, I really don't think the Steelers are in any danger of falling into that boat. You can just tell they know better.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:52 PM   #22
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

On Sirius they was talking about this and having an uncapped year changes contracts also. Its gonna be 4 years for Restricted Free Agents and 6 for Rookie deals. Ross Tucker said the dues are roughly 1500 a year/month(Cant Remember) and its not hardly used for any good. And with this being optioned out the owners and veterns can rework certain parts of the cba (rookie contracts and health benefits to retired players) Cause neither are happy where things stand now.
KeiselPower99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 04:05 AM   #23
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,584 Times in 1,518 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I just hope a deal can be reached and we will not have an uncapped year.