Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 05-23-2008, 02:29 AM   #1
Haiku_Dirtt
Head Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 1645
Default Polynesian Giant?

Expectations are in check. Another Okobi? Doubt it. But being high on Kemo is a window closing.

Or perhaps a late bloomer ready to come of age?

But contradicting Faneca is like having a window fall on your neck. Or was Alan just being nice?

For THIS roster the short leash should look more like a noose.

I'd like to think Kemo is just a late bloomer.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_568925.html
Haiku_Dirtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 03:25 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,567 Times in 1,508 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Kemoeatu has the chance, size to fill Faneca's shoes

After skipping all workouts except for a required minicamp last spring, Alan Faneca is back working out with his teammates -- the New York Jets.

The seven-time Pro Bowl guard left a huge hole in the Steelers' offensive line when he signed as an unrestricted free agent with the Jets this year. Chris Kemoeatu is a large man trying to fill it and hopes to get back on the field to resume that job Tuesday when the Steelers resume practice.

"It's a big step, some big shoes to fill," said Kemoeatu, who did not practice during the team's three workouts this week because of a hamstring injury. "All I can do is come to work every day, watch film and practice to the best of my ability and just try to be me."

And who might that be? For one, Kemoeatu stands 6 feet 3 and weighs a listed 344 pounds, although he may tip the scale a tad over that. That's two inches shorter and at least 37 pounds more than Faneca.

"He's a big, powerful man," coach Mike Tomlin said.

For another, Kemoeatu has been around the past three seasons, ever since the Steelers drafted him on the fifth round in 2005 from Utah despite a few on-field temper tantrums he threw in college.

"I had some issues with it in college," Kemoeatu recounted yesterday. "I kicked some dude in the face, and the following week I did the same thing."

If he still has that kind of temper, it rarely surfaced on the field with the Steelers, but then he only has started two games in three years, none last year.

"I think I've really calmed down, plus I haven't been in there playing that much," said Kemoeatu. "That's helped me calm down as far as controlling myself mentally."

Tomlin does not mind if Kemoeatu uses his temper, as long as it does not get the better of him.

"You like guys who have the potential to fly off the handle within the rules of the game," Tomlin said. "It's a tough game, it's a tough-man's game. He's a tough man. He hasn't shown me that he's incapable of controlling that. If anything, he uses it as a weapon."

Said Kemoeatu: "I'm trying not to [lose control], but it's a physical game and sometimes you get carried away and you just react. I'm definitely at a different level now; if you do something like that, you're going to pay for it."

His coaches believe he is ready. Larry Zierlein, his line coach, thought he was ready last season when Kemoeatu almost beat out veteran Kendall Simmons to start at right guard.

"I'll tell you what: I have a lot of confidence in that guy," Zierlein said. "Aside from the physical thing, he's a big kid. He was ready to play last year. He was ready, and Kendall kind of won the thing, but it was close.'

Close decisions usually go to the incumbent, but there is none at left guard, where Kemoeatu will try to make people forgive the Steelers for letting Faneca get away.

Kemoeatu ran for the first time this week yesterday and practiced getting off the line of scrimmage. He hopes to return to the practice field Tuesday.

"He has a better understanding of what's going on maybe than you think," said Tomlin, noting Kemoeatu's otherwise quiet nature.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08144/884230-66.stm
Old 05-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Tankus_Maximus
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 519
Default Re: Polynesian Giant?

Man, I'd like to see Kemo start at guard, with Hartwig at center, and Simmons at right guard.

KEMO!
KEMO!
KEMO!
KEMO!

"I'm not locked up in here with you. You're locked up in here with me." -Rorschach
Tankus_Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:10 AM   #4
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

I have said on several occasions I appreciate AF's service to the Steelers, but am I the only one to see his game drop off a few notches in the last 2 seasons? Not to mention the fact he was a distraction, with all his public complaints. IMO we are better off without him. I may get flamed for that remark, but I personally think the locker room and the organization itself has one less head ache.
steelwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,148 Times in 427 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelwall View Post
I have said on several occasions I appreciate AF's service to the Steelers, but am I the only one to see his game drop off a few notches in the last 2 seasons? IMO we are better off without him.
No, you're not. I appreciated Faneca's years with the Steelers as well, but I agree with you that it was in the best interest of both the Steelers and Faneca that he move on.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 12:45 PM   #6
Welcome To Smashmouth
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 6038

Good article. I'm starting to rally behind these Hawai natives that always seem to become contributing factors for this franchise. Big shoes to fill, but if he uses that temper intelligently he could be a force...
Welcome To Smashmouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:22 PM   #7
Mistah_Q
Starter

Member Number: 5514

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
No, you're not. I appreciated Faneca's years with the Steelers as well, but I agree with you that it was in the best interest of both the Steelers and Faneca that he move on.
Given what he was wedged in between I'm not surprised at his dropoff the last two seasons, nor will I be surprised when he looks like an elite pro bowler wedged in between Ferguson and Mangold

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 01:58 PM   #8
paw-n-maul-u
Banned

Member Number: 2942

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistah_Q View Post
Given what he was wedged in between I'm not surprised at his dropoff the last two seasons, nor will I be surprised when he looks like an elite pro bowler wedged in between Ferguson and Mangold
Hate to burst your bubble but D-Brick was awwwful last year. And mangold is still young. I'm sure they'll play better with Faneca inbetween them.

But you would assume that he would have made Mahan better as well ... or maybe, he didn't care about being here anymore. Either way, it would have been more wise to keep faneca instead of starks, but he did eventually have to go
paw-n-maul-u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 02:06 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 9,469 Times in 3,939 Posts

funny thing about fans perception of players like kemoeatu. upon being drafted he was perceived as a "scrub with character problems". soon he was looked at as a "beast with a nasty streak".

then a scrub back up who couldnt learn the playbook. now he is back to being a "beast" again. (the same thing was seen with willie colon.)

just goes to show how fickle us fans can be with virtually nothing on tape to base our opinions on.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #10
Mistah_Q
Starter

Member Number: 5514

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
funny thing about fans perception of players like kemoeatu. upon being drafted he was perceived as a "scrub with character problems". soon he was looked at as a "beast with a nasty streak".

then a scrub back up who couldnt learn the playbook. now he is back to being a "beast" again. (the same thing was seen with willie colon.)

just goes to show how fickle us fans can be with virtually nothing on tape to base our opinions on.
My biggest worry with Kemoeatu is that. . usually you want your left guard to be able to pull, and I don't know how in the world Kemo is going to be able to do that

"You are going to let the fear of poverty govern your life and your reward will be that you will eat, but you will not live." - George Bernard Shaw
Mistah_Q is offline   Reply With Quote