Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Browns Bills
September 7, 2014, 1:00pmET

CBS

Old 05-23-2008, 06:40 PM   #1
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088
Exclamation Porter on Spygate...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3409926

An angry Joey Porter thinks the Patriots cheated their way to championships and the NFL's destruction of Spygate tapes suggested the league had something to hide after conducting its investigation.

"They [the Patriots] cheated, there should be an asterisk. They cheated and they got caught," the All-Pro linebacker, who spent eight seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers before joining Miami in free agency last season, said in an interview on "NFL Live."

"Why, if you have nothing to hide, would you destroy [the evidence]? That's how I've looked at it from the beginning. Why destroy something that doesn't have to be destroyed? Let everyone know what was on the tapes. Why would you destroy them so fast?"

The Spygate investigation began after the NFL confiscated tapes from a team employee who recorded the New York Jets' defensive signals in the 2007 season opener. Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000; the team was fined $250,000 and forced to forfeit its 2008 first-round draft choice.

Porter called Belichick's fine a "slap on the wrist didn't fit the crime."

Since former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh met earlier this month with NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to detail the team's illegal taping of opponents' coaching signals, Belichick has attempted to minimize Spygate's impact.

They [the Patriots] cheated, there should be an asterisk. They cheated and they got caught.

--Joey Porter

"They went from zero to 60 overnight and [Belichick] went from a good coach to a great great coach and he got caught cheating," Porter said on "NFL Live."

At a news conference on May 13, Goodell said: "I didn't accept Bill Belichick's explanation for what happened and I still don't to this day."

On May 16, Belichick told the CBS Evening News: "I made a mistake. I was wrong. I was wrong."

After meeting with Walsh, Goodell said of a further investigation: "I don't know where else I would turn, but I reserve the right to review new information if it comes up."

Walsh sent eight tapes to the league that show the Patriots recording the play-calling signals of five opponents in six games between 2000 and 2002, one of which was the 2002 AFC Championship Game that Porter's Steelers lost to New England 24-17.

"If you're to tell me that happened, there's no way I can look at it and feel like I didn't get cheated," Porter said.

Porter also said that NFL players he knows share similar sentiments about the Patriots concerning Spygate.

"Anybody I know that lost to them in big games, they're very upset about it," Porter said.

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default Re: Porter on Spygate...

You play 'em twice a year now, Joey. Show your displeasure on the field, in particular to #12 by smashing his ass into the turf at every opportunity, and stop jawing about it. Hell, do it after the whistle if need be - no skin off my nose if the Dolphins take a 15-yard penalty or not. Considering how many liberties that POS franchise has taken with league rules over the last 7 years, I don't mind other teams disregarding a few rules (late hits, illegal hits, etc.) when playing them. Besides, it's not like the Golden Franchise doesn't have a few cheap shot artists of its own (Harrison and Wilfork, among others). What's good for the goose, after all. Crying about it in the press does nothing and just sounds like sour grapes, not to mention like Mike Holmgren. If you're that pissed about it make them pay for it on the field.

Last edited by fansince'76; 05-23-2008 at 07:13 PM.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
NJarhead
BewbmeisterExtraordinaire
Supporter

Member Number: 1932
Thanked 3,129 Times in 1,316 Posts
My Mood: Inspired

Joey, I hope you can take it out on ole' Tom Brady on all our behalf.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

he justs saying what evry other player is thinking.. good 4 him and i hope he destroys tom

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Finally, a player steps up and says what's really on his mind instead of the company line. And to no surprise, that person was Joey Porter.

I agree with above posters that Porter should take his anger out on Fairy Tom. Late hits please, late hits. Try and injure him, attempt to put him on injured reserve. The rules be damned, that's the way the Patriots went about winning three Super Bowls.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:07 PM   #6
jjpro11
Living Legend

Member Number: 3559

i am sick of trying to be persuaded by the delusional pats fans and media that everyone does it, so its ok. clearly every team does not do it, bettis questioned what they possibly could have done when it first came out.. i highly doubt porter is the only guy that thinks of them as scum. he just doesnt give a shit and sounds off on anything.
jjpro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:20 PM   #7
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

I just wish this whole spygate thing would go away.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:22 PM   #8
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

if evryone else was doing it then y was there not more 14+ win teams then

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #9
verks36
Assistant Coach
Supporter

Member Number: 5088

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpro11 View Post
i am sick of trying to be persuaded by the delusional pats fans and media that everyone does it, so its ok. clearly every team does not do it, bettis questioned what they possibly could have done when it first came out.. i highly doubt porter is the only guy that thinks of them as scum. he just doesnt give a shit and sounds off on anything.
agreed I dont see why some of us steelers fans want it to go away.

The patriots cheated they got to live up to it. Like I cant see how any one is like Ok they cheated now lets move on without exploring all possible leads. They need to be punished more IMO.
happy joey came out with this statement watching NFL Live right now on espn and I am going to see first hand what he said

xbox live gamertag= NtL doubledooky
I dedicate the 36 at the end of my name to thee Jerome bettis

"Working hard beats talent that doesn't work hard."- Kevin Durrant

IF YOU ARE NOT A STEELERS FAN CLICK HERE
---------------------------------------------------->>>>http://vpoet.net/flash/youare.swf

--------------DA Offical Steelers Soulja Boy Dance----------------------
http://youtube.com/watch?v=-F-9s3vWOXk
verks36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2008, 11:49 PM   #10
KeiselPower99
Living Legend

Member Number: 8552

I heard it on ESPN before I went to work and was like Good ol Joey!!!! Why was the tapes destroyed so fast by the League??? He is just saying what every player in every locker room is thinking.