Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-23-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
billybob
Banned

Member Number: 5364
Default back to the basics

I know we all have our theories,on how our team should perform.Looking back on our past history,i seem to remember a brutal run defense,glove tight reciever coverage,and a smothering pass rush.
Granted,it all starts, with your starting offensive line.However,the predictability of your offense,how you set,can set up the defense,for what it is you are trying to accomplish.
The quarterback,has a big part in this.And let me tell you brother steeler fans,Ben is as good at prolonging a play as anyone,since Terry Bradshaw.The biggest difference between the two,that i see is that Ben scrambles out of the coverage,of the offensive line,where as Terry would go behind them for shelter.A simple step up,rather than run out of the pocket. Eyes down the field at all times.
I can remember the times,when it was third and 2,and this is before the Bettis days,we would line up,and the defense knew,we were going to run,and we did it anyway.Defenses have seen that for years,so thier preparation has progressed. You would need an offensive line of super heroes to negate that aspect of the game.
I have grown so weary of everyone slashing our offensive lineman up.I believe that they are well suited to handle the task at hand.The truth is,that we need to become less predictable with our offensive play calling.
We no longer,force our will on the defenses of today.It worked for so long,i guess we became accustom to it.well "news flash",it ain't flyin no more.
Rashard may be a preclusion of what needs to occur. Once you lose the respect of the defense you are facing,they will begin to prey upon you.In some cases you need a four pronged attack,not just a two pronged one.
I am sure that my idol,"Chuck",would agree to that approach. He had a high regard for special teams also! No excuses accepted. From what i have heard,you would not want to be in Chucks dog house either! Referring to Terry's comments,i'm sure i am correct about that. If you have seen my avitar,you will be assured,that Chuck knows what he was preaching about.His four boys in front of him are proof enough for me.
Our biggest obstacle has been special teams blunders,not our offensive line. Granted,we have no more Chuck,and we do not have the "Cower Power",that we use to have,but we have a very innovated coach with "Mike Tomlin",and i don't know about you guy's,but i am a believer.We will be back at the top of the heap in a short time.

Thankyou for reading my opinion.
billybob from gettysburg,pa.
billybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 06:59 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: back to the basics

We have so many weapons now that when we lineup to go for it on shortyardage we don't have to try to ram it down there throats.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 AM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Now we have the Tomlinator.

stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 06:36 AM   #4
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,292 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

Thats cool.
Old 05-25-2008, 07:17 AM   #5
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

Nice Post Billybob

I really miss the days of line it up and smashtheirmouthfootbal!!!
With Mendenhall and Parker running the ball this upcoming season, I look forward to seeing some of that again myself. But we have alot of talent at WR and TE that needs to be taken advantage of as well. Holmes is gonna be a great reciever for the steelers and maybe Sweed will be our replacement for Hines. But the guy that I am looking forward to seeing is WR Dallas Baker and seeing if he has improved as much as Ben and Tomlin has said in the past weeks
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
billybob
Banned

[I]I love all of the response that my thread started.We happen to be fans of one of the greatest football teams in history. I guess i just expected more response,on this Memorial Day.
Just tryin to get geared up for the start of the season.I happen to like our "aquisitions;and i can not wait for the offensive line to quiet a few nay-sayers.
Respect must be earned,[and our offensive/I] line expectants,know what they have to do.Once they are complimented;bye thier new found..unpredictability,We could possibly have one awsome team.I &hit you not.
Man i love the STEELERS !
Old 05-26-2008, 09:10 PM   #7
billybob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post

Yea,i almost forgot to comment,that is a cool expression of the "Tomlinator"
Old 05-26-2008, 09:16 PM   #8
billybob
Banned

If he can not win a superbowl;in this year ,i would be surprised.He has the innovated,outlook,and determination,to do the right thing ,to get us all ,where we want to be. Champs in the U.S.A. Takes a lot to melt "this" steel....spirit!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:49 PM   #9
UK CANDY BEE
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 947

You guys are sooo right........

....it is really just a waste of time for the other teams to even show up at your games, isn't it ??

Unfortunately for you folks, this notion hasn't been suitably impressed upon those other 13 different teams on your schedule, so they are definitely going to show up anyway !!

.....and some of them are even going to have the unmitigated GALL to kick your butts !!!

It doesn't get any more basic than that !!

This year, Pittsburgh is just gonna BLEED TO DEATH !!
UK CANDY BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 11:06 PM   #10
billybob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK CANDY BEE View Post

You guys are sooo right........

....it is really just a waste of time for the other teams to even show up at your games, isn't it ??

Unfortunately for you folks, this notion hasn't been suitably impressed upon those other 13 different teams on your schedule, so they are definitely going to show up anyway !!

.....and some of them are even going to have the unmitigated GALL to kick your butts !!!

It doesn't get any more basic than that !!
I don't know what to say about that comment. Oh wait a minute,yes i do! Only bigger boys, can knock the big boys off the block! You tell me who you think ,is the biggest boys,then maybe we might chat some.