Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: The Jason Taylor Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
Yeah, were back to that. they can cut him whenever they want and not pay him, but he can't walk a away. Then we the fans ridicule them for holding out. The really need to fix it for both sides.

I really sense another Steve Mcnair show down. I'm sure his agent will advise him to show up for the mandatory workout and make them turn him away at the door. I'm not a big union guy, but it seems like it is going to take some intervention for Miami to treat him right.
I agree with everything you said.

Both sides need it fixed. It's wrong that a team can cut a player whenever it wants for whatever reasons, real or false...but that player cant just walk away when the situation warrants it, such as this one.

Miami doesn't want to cut him, because that's a cap hit and they'd have to pay him any gauranteed money he is owed. They'd love to trade him, but they can't seem to find anything to their liking.

The perfect situation for Miami would be retirement. They wouldn't have to pay him, they wouldn't be cutting him so he can join another team, and they would never have to worry about facing him somewhere down the road.

I don't think the way out of this situation when a player faces it is retirment. They shouldn't be forced into it.

I think it will be just like the Steve McNair situation a few years ago. I think Parcells has told his people to say that Taylor said he's gonna hold out to drag his name through the mud, and so they don't have to face the players union if they were to bar him from the facilities without cutting him.

Hopefully when the owners and the players reach a new CBA, there can be some type of solution to this...such as the option to cut a player and not have to pay him gauranteed money (which would equal no cap hit) if both the team and the player reach the agreement with a witness that's not for either side there for the signing of the contract of release.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 12:10 AM   #12
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

put him in black and gold
Old 05-28-2008, 01:10 AM   #13
Rhee Rhee
Head Coach

Member Number: 7579

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBENFASTWILLIE View Post
put him in black and gold
not for a first....

and we already have bruce davis...

jason taylor needs to grow up a tad...

don't argue with someone who has 2 rings when you have none...

give respect where respect is due...

the tuna is doing the same thing he did with T.O... superstar with an ego..
Old 05-28-2008, 01:51 PM   #14
steelreserve
Goatse + Tubgirl = $$$

Member Number: 1976

Taylor is an idiot for skipping out to be on TV. But he doesn't quite strike me as a T.O.-type egomaniac. Still, that was dumb.

Like someone else said, Parcells is going to gut the entire roster anyway. There wasn't much to work with on a 1-15 team, and an aging defensive lineman making $8 million isn't exactly going to be one of your cornerstones in rebuilding mode.

I wouldn't mind having him if he would shut up and play for cheap, but that's pretty unlikely. Still, stranger things have happened.
steelreserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 06:10 PM   #15
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Taylor is in no way shape or form anything like TO. He does a TON of chritable work, and is genuinely a nice guy. He wants to win a ring, and it ain't gonna happen as a Phin, and he knows that as much as anyone. I don't fault him that much.

But he is a bad fit for the Steelers at DL, and I'd say 34 is a little late to try converting him to OLB. Besides, he'd cost a fortune, and we dump bad contracts for players with diminshing skills, not acquire them.
Old 05-29-2008, 06:35 PM   #16
Steeler in Carolina
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 1634

I don't blame Taylor for doing the Dancing thing. It's a good way to get his name out there to people who don't already know who he is. His football career isn't going to last much longer and he'll need something else to do, so this opens him up to more opportunities.

As for Parcells, he his an ass and I'm glad the Steelers would never hire someone like him.
Steeler in Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
SteelersJW
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 5742

Jason Taylor is a pansy through and through. I don't care if he was recently the defensive MVP of the NFL. I would give everything I have to play in the NFL and he's throwing it away to do "Dancing With The Stars."
Old 05-30-2008, 05:11 AM   #18
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,950 Times in 1,659 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I don't see what the big deal is why parcells is throwing such a fit cause he was dancing.
Old 05-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #19
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

it looks like barry sanders in detroit... they wouldn't let him go and he didn't want to play 4 that shit hole of a franchice back in the 90's and he retired after 10 season in which it seemed like he had like 5-6 yrs left.. hopefully they can work something out

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 06:58 PM   #20
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512
Default Jason Taylor expecting fines

Jason Taylor has finally spoken to the media about his situation and it sounds like he's accepted the reality that he won't play for the Dolphins. Question is, why don't the Dolphins just trade him, then? Does Parcells really think he'll get more the longer he waits? I would think the price is going to go down, not up, as teams get their rosters and lineups set.

If Taylor misses the first mandatory veterans minicamp (June 6-8) as expected, he would be subject to fines. According to sources Taylor's representatives had expected to meet with the Dolphins after his tournament, however, the Dolphins canceled the meeting. "We'll work with football here in the near future," Taylor said.

Can they really fine him if they have already said "Jason Taylor will not be at training camp" and cancel meetings with him? I'm having trouble following Sparano's and Parcells' logic here.
HughC is offline   Reply With Quote