Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-29-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551
Default You have got to be kidding me.

Ben Roethlisberger said he has a better grasp of the offense Bruce Arians installed last year and is more cognizant of where his outlet receivers are when he comes under a heavy rush. Better awareness, Roethlisberger said, should cut down the number of times he is sacked this season.

That is not to say the Steelers will need less laundry detergent for Roethlisberger's uniform or that the Pro Bowler is trading in his swashbuckling style for a more conservative approach.

"I'm still going to get (sacked), because I'm still going to try to scramble and make plays," said Roethlisberger, who became the highest-paid player in Steelers history in March. "You look at all the big plays we've made, and then you take the sacks. You kind of have to live with it."

If Roethlisberger is willing to live with it, so too are the Steelers. After all, he is the one who absorbs the physical punishment, and the trade-off for the 47 sacks he took last season appeared to be well worth it.

Roethlisberger had arguably the greatest regular season by a Steelers quarterback in 2007, as he set a franchise record with 32 touchdown passes and turned in the best passer rating (104.1) this side of Tom Brady.

His ability to improvise and create a big play when it looks like everything has broken down around him has set Roethlisberger apart as the 26-year-old heads into his fifth NFL season.

The dramatic increase in sacks he has taken the past two years compared to his first two seasons in the NFL shows in some way how much his role and influence in the offense has grown.

"He's one of the quarterbacks who has the unique ability to not only keep plays alive but make plays when it seems they're dead," Steelers tight end Heath Miller said. "That's what makes him fun to play with."

Roethlisberger's derring-do is why coaches have drilled into his teammates to never give up on a play when he has the ball - to "stay alive," as backup tight end Matt Spaeth put it.

The downside to the 6-foot-5, 241-pounder's aversion to throwing the ball away is that Roethlisberger makes himself more vulnerable to the kind of hit that could knock him out of a game or sideline him for even longer.

The risk of reining in Roethlisberger is that he might not be the same dynamic playmaker he has been.

But there may be a happy medium for Roethlisberger, and it's all about having a deeper understanding of the offense Arians installed after becoming the Steelers' offensive coordinator in January 2007.

"Knowing where the (running) backs are, knowing where the check-down guys are," Roethlisberger said. "I'm going to be able to get the ball out of my hand sometimes (instead of getting sacked) and get it to our playmakers."

Not that he plans to stop being one himself.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_569892.html

Cannot believe you guys are trusting Bruce Arians with the offense! Did you guys see us under Butch Davis by chance, and how Timmy Couch's career got ruined all to quickly?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
MACH1
Quest For Seven
Supporter

Member Number: 3236
Thanked 4,662 Times in 1,754 Posts
Default Re: You have got to be kidding me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
Cannot believe you guys are trusting Bruce Arians with the offense! Did you guys see us under Butch Davis by chance, and how Timmy Couch's career got ruined all to quickly?

Are you just skeerd or jealous.

Tim couch sucked anyways and wheres davis at now?
Arians isn't in clown town any more.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
MACH1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #3
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,661 Times in 2,890 Posts

Quote:

lol. you got to be kidding me. did you just compare big ben and mike tomlin to tim couch and butch davis???

btw, arians got his job with the browns based off his work with peyton manning. big difference working with manning or ben as opposed to couch.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:40 AM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Ok, first off, you have to have weapons to run any effective offense. Tim Couch was a bust, not a weapon. The Cleveland offense back then needed to have Arians to create some type of plays cause the talent was a freaking joke. Lets look at it shall we...

Our Talent now, with Arians, Ben, Ward, Washington, Holmes, Miller, Parker, now Sweed and Mendenhall.

Cleveland's talent with Arians 2001, QB, Couch, WRs Andre King, Tony Simmons, Dennis Northcutt, Quincy Morgan, Kevin Johnson, JaJuan Johnson, RB Benjamin gay, Jamal White.
2002, QB Kelly Holcomb, Tim Couch, WRs, Andre Davis, Frisman jackson, Kevin Johnson, Andre King, Quincy Morgan, Northcutt, RB, Jamal White, James Jackson, R.J. Bowers.
2003, QB, Tim Couch, Kelly Holcomb, WRs, Andre Davis, Frisman Jackson, Kevin Johnson, Andre King, Quincy Morgan, Northcutt, RBs, Jamel White, Lee Suggs, Nick Maddox, R.J. Bowers.

So...is it Arians fault that the Browns didn't excel on offense during the 2001 - 2003 seasons, or maybe just maybe, he didn't quite have the talent at all the positions he needed in order for the team to be successful.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:43 AM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Now if you want, we can break down the offensive lines, the Defense (which puts your offense in good field position or puts your offense into a hole) and we can break down coaching schemes and schedules to determine if Arians was the reason Cleveland was not very successful, but I think you get the point.

Back off my coach, and go get your head coach another donut.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:50 AM   #6
rbryan
Team President

Member Number: 5196

I wonder what Tim Sofa is doing right now? lol

I'm guessing everyone in Cleveland was loving Arians play calling right up until the bitter end of the 03 playoff game.
rbryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 10:53 AM   #7
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Now if you want, we can break down the offensive lines, the Defense (which puts your offense in good field position or puts your offense into a hole) and we can break down coaching schemes and schedules to determine if Arians was the reason Cleveland was not very successful, but I think you get the point.

Back off my coach, and go get your head coach another donut.
oh, ouch RAC is fat, like we didn't know that already. . Heck the nickname for him is "grimace" amongst browns fans.

No the reason why Arians was unsuccessful in Cleveland is because he and Butchy ignored the offensive line until it bit him in a**..

Allowing sacks to happen as part of the game plan and thinking your QB can manage on his own is really foolish.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:58 AM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Sacks do happen, no one goes sackless for the year. The problem was two fold last season with sacks, first the o-line didn't work well with Mahan at center, that made the guards have to block down to the inside instead of helping block out toward the tackles, next Ben held the ball too long because he didn't trust his outlet receivers enough. It was a first year system and he broke the Franchise record with passing tds that held since TB was at the helm. Sure sometimes he waits too long to just tuck it and run with it, cause you may remember, he can run 30 yard TDs if he needs to, but he needed to learn the new offense even better, and that is what he's done. Now you try to indicate it wasn't Arians' offensive play calling that was to blame but your weak sauce o-line. Well figure it out before you get down on our o-coordinator.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #9
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

And despite all this, "Botch Davis" and "that idiot" Bruce Arians took that 2002 Browns team to the playoffs. Where they almost beat...the Steelers. In fact, Botch Davis actually managed to beat the Steelers at least once in 2003. That's something Romeo Crennell has yet to do.

Tim Couch's career got ruined because he was a bust. He didn't have it.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 11:15 AM   #10
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,773 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:

No the reason why Arians was unsuccessful in Cleveland is because he and Butchy ignored the offensive line until it bit him in a**..

The reason that Arians was unsuccessful in Cleveland was because of that mediocre line, average defense and even worse running game. Not something likely to happen in the burgh

I seem to remember sometime back in the 2003 playoffs that your boys Butchy and BA had a wildcard playoff game in the bag with Holcombe, Northcutt, Johnson putting up points in the air, but William Green's lack of a running game and some dumb defensive penalties couldnt seal the deal. Man that was a great game.

I dont like Arians bizarre playcalling sometimes and really think a good FB needs to be there in the short yardage downs, but he is actually puts more pressure on opposing defenses more than Whiz and the heavy dose of the run game.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote