Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 06-03-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
UK CANDY BEE
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 947
Default I am going to be in the Pittsburgh area....

...on Friday June 13th !!

Our family reunion is in Masontown WV (a few miles south of Morgantown) on Saturday the 14th, and we try to find something for the family to do on the day before.

Other than Coopers Rock State Park, there isn't much to see in the Morgantown area, so this year, we are visiting an amusement park I heard about in the Pittsburgh area called Kennywood !!

I would appreciate any suggestions you folks might be willing to offer on how to make the most of the day.

Stuff like........the best rides, what NOT to bother with. and just plain helpful advice from those who have been there before.....

THANKS in advance !!

This year, Pittsburgh is just gonna BLEED TO DEATH !!
UK CANDY BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:40 PM   #2
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327
Default Re: I am going to be in the Pittsburgh area....

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK CANDY BEE View Post

Our family reunion is in Masontown WV (a few miles south of Morgantown) on Saturday the 14th, and we try to find something for the family to do on the day before.

Other than Coopers Rock State Park, there isn't much to see in the Morgantown area, so this year, we are visiting an amusement park I heard about in the Pittsburgh area called Kennywood !!

I would appreciate any suggestions you folks might be willing to offer on how to make the most of the day.

Stuff like........the best rides, what NOT to bother with. and just plain helpful advice from those who have been there before.....

THANKS in advance !!
Stop by Heinz field and take the tour, that way you actually get to see the Lombardi trophy (ies).

Seriously, Downtown Pittsburgh is beautiful. I never got a chance to go to carnegie center.. but I hear there is a lot... also the Holocaust museum. WHile it may bring down the trip a bit, it is probably worth seeing (we didn't get a chance to do that either).
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #3
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Go up to Mt. Washington for the best view of the city........ it's breathtaking. (although I loved Preacher's suggestion! )
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 PM   #4
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,951 Times in 3,405 Posts

Quote:

THANKS in advance !!
kennywood is a great little park,

ride these often:

phantoms revenge- the parks grandest roller coaster (doesnt compare to what you find at cedar point or 6 flags but still a hell of a ride) when you ride it so much during the day try it at night with your shades on for a new experience.

thunderbolt- every coaster enthusiast MUST ride this atleast 5 times in 1 day. for the longest time, this was the fastest wooden coaster in the world, topping out at almost 70 mph. nothing compared to the modern coasters but it is the pure, old school, clackety clack, experince any coaster enthusiast trully appreciates.

dont miss these-

jackrabbit- classic wooden coaster that has 1 hellacious hill that seems to leave you airborne and weightless for over a second. everytime i ride it i swear im gonna fly out of my seat and die. however this is the 1 coaster that allows the smallest kids to ride. i suckered my 4 year old little girl to ride. it scared the crap out of her but she still talks about it a year later.

logjammer- sit in a log and ride this water coaster. get a nice splash at the end. learn to distribute the weight in the log and soak your younger nieces and nepherw. great fun.

noahs ark- its like the oldest funhouse still in operation. this thing is about 100 years old and has gone through numerous upgrades and rennovations, but is still just as fun as an adult as it was as a kid.

cosmo (???)- this is one of the newest rides and 1 i have never seen before but it is one hell of a rush and fun non-coaster ride. if you like spinning and swinging this is the ride for you. it has an alien related name. you cant miss it.

train ride- take time to ride the train. some of the most superb elevated views of the monongahelia river. its really quite breathtaking. im a bit dissapointed i skipped this one on my last visit to ride all the "big kid" rides.

beware:

pittsburgh plunge and the rapids are both great water rides but you get completely soaked. dont carry cigs or a cellphone. if you dont bring a change of clothes, and plan to walk around all day prepare for chaffed balls. (sorry, im from the desert and not used to walking around all day, soaking wet, in 90% humidity.

garfields revenge was much better as the tunnel of love.

all the "drive the car" rides are old school, peaceful cruising rides that kids definitely enjoy because they are behind the wheel.

the racer is an old wooden coaster that is very fun but nothing like the modern rides at cedar point. coaster purists will still love it though. a unique ride where you race the coaster right next to you.

exterminator- a bit gimmicky, but still a fun ride. nothing too special or heart stopping.

skycoaster- expensive and not too unique, but one hell of a ride if youve never done it before.

pittfall- raise up 6-8 stories and feel the drop. this ride isnt too unique but the view you get from the top is amazing. not unique but definitely a ride to do atleast once, if youve never done it before. again, the views from this and the train, make it all worthwhile.

i went to kennywood.com, last year before my visit to check out all the newest rides, and it is a pretty comprehensive site to get you a "gameplan" together.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:31 PM   #5
BettisFan
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 5206

Jackrabbit is the best its been here for ever!

Vist My blog at www.moesportsblog.com
BettisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dEyJjAAPy38

Go to Pants N' at.

In all seriousness, go to the nearest Quaker Steak and lube..I LOVE the won over in cranberry/butler :)

Also, whatever the heck pannini's ripped off of you guys. :)

Last edited by RodWoodsonwasprettycool; 06-03-2008 at 09:12 PM.
RodWoodsonwasprettycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:08 PM   #7
UK CANDY BEE
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 947

Sounds great Tony.........that is just the kind of info I was looking for !!

This year, Pittsburgh is just gonna BLEED TO DEATH !!
UK CANDY BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
GBMelBlount
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 5140
Thanked 2,067 Times in 946 Posts

Quote:
Go up to Mt. Washington for the best view of the city........ it's breathtaking.
I agree. There are some terrific restaurants up there as well.

~ 3 Doors Down

GBMelBlount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 PM   #9
PisnNapalm
Team Owner
Supporter

Member Number: 1225

Stop in at Primanti Brothers on the Strip for a sammich. Buy some Pickburgh stuff while you're dahn 'ere too.

Go to Point State Park and Station Square.

Enjoy it!
Old 06-03-2008, 09:49 PM   #10
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 7,951 Times in 3,405 Posts

Quote:
Sounds great Tony.........that is just the kind of info I was looking for !!
i love going to the parks but unfortunately am far away and havent gone to many. but other than amazing (and now outdated) rides such as batmann II, jokers revenge, and superman at 6 flags/magic mountain in california, i would compare that overall park experience to that of kennywood.

like i said, the old school, nostalgic feel helps make up for the lack of dozens of ultra modern rides and the food and arcade games are on level with any other park.

oh, and word to the wise.... try a polish sausage at one of the concession stands slathered w/ onions, bells, and tomato's.

gotta get a funnel cake too!