Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

An important history lesson for you TRUE Steelers fans!

Old 06-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #1
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,084 Times in 4,585 Posts
Default F-22 RAPTOR has arrived!

it was sad to see the stealth F-117's retire and leave. a true end of an era and i will always miss those black triangles patrolling the skies. but man, what a beautiful bird the raptor is....

http://www.alamogordonews.com/news/ci_9496250

Quote:
Residents of the Tularosa Basin will get a chance to see what the F-22A Raptor can do when Lockheed Martin puts on a display tonight right in their back yard.

The flight demonstration will begin at 7:15 p.m., and the best viewing will be from Mesa Verde Ranch Road west of Alamogordo. A parking area has been arranged on land owned by the Rabon family.

During an interview May 30, Arlan Ponder of 49th Fighter Wing Public Affairs said the event is for the public, and encouraged everyone to go and see the new F-22.

Jim Conlin, F-22 director for Lockheed's customer requirements operations in Fort Worth, Texas, said even the Raptor's builders have not explored the plane's fullest potential.

"We're just finding out what all this plane can do," Conlin said Thursday. "The airplane's sensors are so good, we might even find Jimmy Buffett's lost shaker of salt, you know? I think it could do that."

Conlin said Lockheed writes more lines of programming code for the Raptor every year than Microsoft writes.

Rob Fuller, communications manager for Lockheed's F-22 program, mentioned the Raptor's central processing unit Wednesday. The CPU processes billions of bytes of data per second collected by sensors all over the body of the aircraft. That information is neatly presented to the pilot on display screens. This eliminates the need for many gauges found in other aircraft profanityfilterprofanityfilterprofanityfilterprofa nityfilterpits, and the figuring pilots must do to determine what is happening in their battle space.
Maj. Paul "Max" Moga, the Air Force pilot who will be flying the demo tonight, said the F-22 can show more information than a pilot is normally able to process. He said that's a good thing because a pilot wants to have all information and then figure out how much of it is needed.

"In other jets it doesn't work that way," Moga said. "The pilot has to work for every bit of information that they can get, so they don't have time to really figure out exactly how they're going to use that data."

Moga said tonight he will perform a 12-minute series of maneuvers to highlight some of the Raptor's capabilities.

"So within the span of those 12 minutes I will do things in the jet that unless you've seen the Raptor demo before you've never, ever seen a fighter aircraft do before," Moga said. "They are so unique that there's no other jet in our inventory that can come anywhere near being able to perform these. And there certainly isn't a jet in another country's inventory that can perform them, either."

Moga said most people are in disbelief when they first view the demo because the maneuvers don't look like things a jet should be able to do.

Moga said the other 90 percent of the jet's capabilities cannot, unfortunately, be displayed for a crowd for various reasons.

"At the end of the day it's really only kind of scratching the surface of what the jet's truly capable of," Moga said.

"Can't do everything, but that's a good thing sometimes.

"You don't want to play all your cards."

Moga said a pilot properly flying an F-22 is "about as close to invincible as we've ever seen in a fighter before."

"You're playing with a stacked deck when you're flying the Raptor," Moga said.

"Which is the way it's supposed to be, you know? Cheating is legal in war." [like in the patriots* lockerroom.]

Old 06-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #2
tony hipchest
Supporter

Default Re: F-22 RAPTOR has arrived!

heres some pics of one of the birdies who stopped by for our airshow last year.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
tony hipchest
Supporter

im so pumped for this demo. the AF have been flying T-38's around with a device called something like a "boom cannon" to simulate the bang of the raptor breaking the sound barrier and get the local residents used to what they will be hearing on a regular basis. and let me tell ya, i need some getting used to it. i am used to sonic booms from when the F-15's were here and our high speed test track.

BUT THESE ARE LOUD! ive never heard a bomb go off but it sounds like the footage of us dropping bunker busters on baghdad. several times ive been sitting in my office (which is on the highway) and i thought a semi crashed into the side of my building, it was so loud.

finally, this week when the 1st 2 raptors came to roost, it sounded like 2 of the loudest claps of thunder ive ever heard.

here are some factoids ive heard but cant verify-

-cost per plane- $133,000,000

-the raptor can track and dogfight 4 enemy planes at once!

-all weaponry is internal with to maintain stealth technology. the trap doors open, and weaponry is delivered so quick it barely registers a *blip* on enemies radar.

-it carries new sidewinder missles that the pilot shoots ahead of himself and they turn around and destroy an enemy aircraft behind him. theyre still working out a few kinks in this sidewinder technology because they were turning around so fast the missles were actually snapping in half.

-while the stealth fighters seem pretty new, they had become irrelevant and too costly to maintain. the raptor will be just as pertinent 20 years from now, and no other plane will be developed by us or an enemy that could force it into retirement.

while some people bitch and complain about all their tax dollars going to welfare recipients, i sure am glad i have decided all my tax dollars go to weapon systems development such as this. it gives me a nice peace of mind and smooths over the sting of looking at the gross amt on my paycheck.

oh, and for those who think playing the stock market takes an advanced degree, it really doesnt. when i saw lockheed martin at a 5 year low in 2000 because everybody was gobbling up biotech and internet, i knew it was a good buy.

i got in at $17-$19 per share.

Old 06-06-2008, 07:36 PM   #4
steelwall
Head Coach

Member Number: 8225

From what I've heard from some fellow friends still in the service, this one bad @$$ peice of machinery....GO USA!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
-cost per plane- $133,000,000
Makes me think of Top Gun. "You're writing checks your body can't cash Maverick!"

Think any of these will be doing the air show circuit this summer? I'd like to see one but there aren't any fighter bases in my immediate neck of the woods.

What's the feeling on base about Gates canning the top 2 in the Air Force yeserday TH?

Last edited by Hawk Believer; 06-06-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Hawk Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Wow, that is one badass fighter jet.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:44 PM   #7
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,520 Times in 3,752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Believer View Post

What's the feeling on base about Gates canning the top 2 in the Air Force yeserday TH?
According to The Wall Street Journal the level of F-22 procurement was a flash point between Gates and the senior Air Force leadership

The firings are the culmination of a broader dispute between Mr. Gates and the Air Force's leadership over the service's strategic direction.

The biggest source of tension has been the Air Force's insistence on buying hundreds of expensive, state-of-the-art F-22 fighter jets, made by Lockheed Martin Corp., despite opposition from Mr. Gates, who has argued that the planes aren't needed for prosecuting America's current wars. The U.S. hasn't deployed F-22s in Iraq or Afghanistan.

The defense chief wants the service instead to purchase surveillance drones, tankers and other planes that would better meet immediate needs in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Advocates of the F-22, which costs at least $140 million apiece, say the U.S. needs to be prepared to fight conventional wars against big powers such as China and Russia. Air Force officials say that, because of the lead time required to build advanced jets, it makes sense to buy them now to ensure they're available when needed. That argument rankles Mr. Gates and his top aides, who have privately belittled it as "next-war-itis."

In February, Mr. Wynne and Gen. Moseley had to publicly disown comments from a four-star Air Force general who suggested that the service wanted to buy more of the planes than Mr. Gates and the Bush administration wanted.

Mr. Gates privately rebuked the officer, Gen. Bruce Carlson, for signaling that the Air Force would buy 381 of the planes, rather than the 183 called for in the Defense Department's 2009 budget. The Air Force's aggressive advocacy tested the service's traditional deference to the defense secretary on such matters.

In late April, Mr. Gates went public with his frustrations in a speech at Maxwell Air Force Base in Alabama, home to the service's top war college. Mr. Gates told the audience that the military, led by the Air Force, had failed to get enough unmanned aerial drones into the skies above Iraq and Afghanistan.

"We can do and we should do more to meet the needs of men and women fighting in the current conflicts while their outcome may still be in doubt," he said.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121268789331649099.html

The F-22 is a sweet piece of technology but without an unlimited defense budget you have to ask if this is the best bang for the buck in terms of the current DoD mission.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
steelwall
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post

The F-22 is a sweet piece of technology but without an unlimited defense budget you have to ask if this is the best bang for the buck in terms of the current DoD mission.
I agree totally, but from my understanding we have drones allready, sitting in hangers in the US, just have not been deployed....hmmm
Old 06-07-2008, 12:36 AM   #9
tony hipchest
Supporter

you'll rarely hear me say this because it is so cliche and corny on a mb BUT...

OMFG!

this was like watching a propeller powered bi-plane at a stunt show.

Quote:
Moga said the other 90 percent of the jet's capabilities cannot, unfortunately, be displayed for a crowd for various reasons.
while this may be standard propoganda, (which i doubt- this is an alamogordo press clip, not the AP or NYT) even if its only 50% it is pretty amazing.

this thing flew straight up in the sky and paused for almost 3 seconds. it did a loop-d-loop and paused at the apex of its circle.

nascar fans will recognize the description of bristol as like jet fighters flying around in a gymnasium. i think this plane can do that. infact, it could probably fly circles in a fishbowl based on what i just saw.

it cruised along with its nose up at what seemed like 65 mph.

i'm almost certain this thing can hover like a hummingbird.

but AD and HB raise some interresting points. in a perfect world i would like to see the army, and marines, made obsolete.

in a conventional war with china and russia, im pretty sure our air force with a brigade of 300+ of these could destroy them fairly quickly.

which goes to show why terrorist attacks and drawing us into a guerilla warfare situation is the only possible way of effectively engaging the US.

on that note the only other reasonable option is electing the candidate most capable of negotiating with our enemies.

Richardson in '08

anyways, my job was secure (for life) with the support of the 50 stealth fighters in our arsenal. if weve really ordered 381 raptors, i will be due for a hefty raise.

while i usually vote dem, i will definitely support a dem who supports the AF.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #10
steelwall
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post

in a conventional war with china and russia, im pretty sure our air force with a brigade of 300+ of these could destroy them fairly quickly.

Lord if that happened I would reinlist in a minute. I've never been treated with such utter disrespect then my time here in China. The most racist people (in general, not all) I've ever seen.... Some payback would be nice.

Besides China's military is actually a freaking joke. Heck I kicked 3 Chinese Army guys @$$es outside a club one night by myself.