Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...
Bills
GAMEDAY
September 11, 2014, 8:25pm ET
CBS

Old 06-06-2008, 09:23 PM   #1
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Default But Can I Make Calls With It?

As someone who admittedly is no fan of cell phones to begin with, I don't think I would make it in Japan.

Quote:
In Japan, Cellphones Have Become Too Complex to Use

By Lisa Katayama

TOKYO -- Steve Jobs' new iPhone, expected to be unveiled Monday, is headed to Japan by the end of the year. But the device's famed ease of use may actually be a turnoff in Japan, where consumers want features, not simplicity.

Indeed, Japanese handsets have become prime examples of feature creep gone mad. In many cases, phones in Japan are far too complex for users to master.

"There are tons of buttons, and different combinations or lengths of time yield different results,'" says Koh Aoki, an engineer who lives in Tokyo.

Experimenting with different key combinations in search of new features is "good for killing time during a long commute," Aoki says, "but it's definitely not elegant."

Japan has long been famous for its advanced cellphones with sci-fi features like location tracking, mobile credit card payment and live TV. These handsets have been the envy of consumers in the United States, where cell technology has trailed an estimated five years or more. But while many phones would do Captain Kirk proud, most of the features are hard to use or not used at all.

"Some people care about quality, but first and foremost it's about the features," says Nobi Hayashi, a journalist and author of Steve Jobs: The Greatest Creative Director. He estimates that the average person only uses 5 to 10 percent of the functions available on their handsets.

Japan is a culture of spec sheets. When consumers go to electronics stores to buy a cellphone, they frequently line up the specifications side by side to compare them before deciding which one to buy.

Hayashi owns a Panasonic P905i, a fancy cellphone that doubles as a miniature but crisp 3-inch TV. In addition to 3G and GPS, the device has a 5.1-megapixel camera and motion sensors that enable Wii-style games to be played sitting on the train.

"When I show this to visitors from the U.S, they're amazed," Hayashi says. "They think there's no way anybody would want an iPhone in Japan. But that's only because I'm setting it up for them so that they can see the cool features."

In actuality, Hayashi says, the P905i is fatally flawed. The motion sensors are painfully slow, and the novelty of using them is quickly replaced with frustration. And while being able to watch TV anywhere is a spectacular idea, there's no signal in the subways, and even above ground, the sound cuts out every few seconds.

"There's nothing more annoying than choppy TV noises," Hayashi says.

Aoki, who carries two phones, a Sony W44S and an iPhone for accessing the web, has only a vague idea of all the things the Sony cellphone is capable of doing. "Every once in a while, you find an incredible function via the complicated menu," he says.

The manufacturers, who realize the absurdity of piling on features that don't work well, are caught in a vicious cycle of materialistic consumers who always want the newest high-tech handsets, and carriers that have complete control over what products and services are provided to their customers.

"The most important thing for us is to provide our end users with a unique user experience through our products," says Toshi Kawamura, a spokesman for Sony Ericsson Japan.

They're also at the mercy of the all-powerful carriers, like NTT DoCoMo -- the company that created the localized 3G network that makes Japanese handsets virtually obsolete in the rest of the world -- who get to decide what applications and functions are compatible with their networks.

"The flashy little functions are cool, but they're carrier-specific," Hayashi says. "Once you take this out of Japan, it's just a piece of metal." Japanese companies only make 5 percent of global mobile phone sales, and all of those sales are domestic.

Neat-looking gadgets are also a core aspect of one's identity. Daiji Hirata, chief financial officer of News2u Corporation and creator of Japan's first wireless LAN, admits to changing handsets more often than is probably necessary.

"Cellphones are always part of any conversation," he says. "People are always using them and holding them, even in the middle of a meal, so they might not think you're hip if you're carrying an old one."

However, it's unclear whether Japanese consumers will ditch their complicated cellphones for Apple's easy-to-use iPhone, which will be sold in Japan by SoftBank by the end of the year.

A survey conducted by Japan Railways showed that just more than half of those polled were interested in buying the iPhone, but that less than one-fifth really knew what the iPhone was.

"It doesn't have 3G, the camera is only 2 megapixels, and it lacks fun little features like mobile wallet functions and an LED flashlight," Hayashi says. "It may sell modestly as a smart phone or as an upgraded iPod, but it's not quite cutting it as a competitor in our mobile-based culture."
In Japan, Cellphones Have Become Too Complex to Use
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
silver & black
Team President

Member Number: 1836
Default Re: But Can I Make Calls With It?

I'm with you 76. I don't own, or have any desire to own, a cell phone. I don't need to to talk to anyone so bad that it can't wait untill i get home. I carry the wife's old cell phone in my truck in case of an emergency. Other than that, forget it.
silver & black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:25 AM   #3
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Gotta have my cell phone...nothing fancy...and I turn it on vibrate and wont answer it while at work, while out to eat, at the theater, or anyplace else where people SHOULD be annoyed when it goes off.

I also keep my conversations at a low decibel...those who have to talk loud PISS me off....regardless of where they are.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #4
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800

I use my cellphone. it's and old version though, no special gadgets that are most times useless. I use it to talk, that's about it. it was invented for that purpose wasn't it?

Quote:
I turn it on vibrate and wont answer it while at work, while out to eat, at the theater, or anyplace else where people SHOULD be annoyed when it goes off.

I also keep my conversations at a low decibel...those who have to talk loud PISS me off....regardless of where they are.
personally I have no problem with that, but a lot of people do. yet the one's who do it never stop, and they just don't care who they piss off
The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:51 PM   #5
Dynasty
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 2396

Well, i have a different opinion then you all do, but i think it has to do with the fact that i grew up with cell phones. WHen everyone you know has one, its so useful. and with the features some of them have, it allows you to carry less things around every day. i hate overly complicated phones like the one talked about in the story, but phones like the iphone, blackberry bold, and htc touch diamond, those have some realy useful things that they can do.
Old 06-08-2008, 01:15 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

Went to Cedar Point yesterday, left the cell in the car, and LOVED it. Didn't think about it for a second, and felt like I had my umbilical cut all over again.
Old 06-08-2008, 07:40 PM   #7
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

I hate cell phones. They can take a picture or surf the Internet or record a video or play games but they can't give you a clear line to talk.

I have a device for taking pictures--it's called a camera. I have a device to record videos--it's called a camcorder. I have a device to surf the web--it's called a computer. I have a device for games--it's called a Nintendo (ok, don't have one of those right now but you get the picture).

The only thing I want from a phone is the ability to make a freakin' phone call...I have a land line at home and a land line at work. I don't need to drive to get to work and when I do there are emergency call boxes on the interstate. Cell phones are a pain in the ass and a waste of money.
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:04 PM   #8
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Duke View Post
I use my cellphone. it's and old version though, no special gadgets that are most times useless. I use it to talk, that's about it. it was invented for that purpose wasn't it?

personally I have no problem with that, but a lot of people do. yet the one's who do it never stop, and they just don't care who they piss off
Actually... I am looking at getting a new cell phone... probably a blackberry or something like it.

It is the combination of a PDA, phone, email, web-browser is what I need... as I need to be able to do work anywhere.

Yet, it is way too much to carry a laptop everywhere I go.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 02:02 AM   #9
X-Terminator
Mr. Wrong
Supporter

Member Number: 2550

As an unapologetic tech geek, this kind of thing intrigues me. I love seeing the new technologies that come out almost daily. But a phone that does all of that is just too much. I do own a cell phone, but it rarely gets used - the only reason why I still have one is for emergency purposes and for my Mom's benefit, otherwise I would not spend the money for it. Besides, we already have phones that do just about everything that the one in the article does - they're called PDAs.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:27 AM   #10
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

[QUOTE=Godfather;403968]I hate cell phones. They can take a picture or surf the Internet or record a video or play games but they can't give you a clear line to talk.

I have a device for taking pictures--it's called a camera. I have a device to record videos--it's called a camcorder. I have a device to surf the web--it's called a computer. I have a device for games--it's called a Nintendo (ok, don't have one of those right now but you get the picture).

The only thing I want from a phone is the ability to make a freakin' phone call...I have a land line at home and a land line at work. I don't need to drive to get to work and when I do there are emergency call boxes on the interstate. Cell phones are a pain in the ass and a waste of money.[QUOTE]

I would say that 80% of our calls into the 911 center are cell phone calls now....alot of people have opted to cut out landlines all together and use their cellphones as the primary phone in the house. By Illinois law...if you cut out the landline..it still has the capacity to call 911, but nothing else. As far as calling from the interstate...I appreciate those good samaritans that call and let us know that someone is broke down on the side of the road...I appreciate all 2,147 of those good samaritans....really...I do....all of them....uh.....yea.

Last edited by lamberts-lost-tooth; 06-09-2008 at 05:57 AM.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote