Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-07-2008, 11:45 PM   #1
The Duke
Living Legend

Member Number: 4800
Default The Coolest Helmet in History: The Pittsburgh Steelers

gotta agree

Quote:
The Coolest Helmet in History: The Pittsburgh Steelers

By MJD

In 1962, Cleveland Republic Steel suggested to the Steelers that they adopt the Steelmark logo as their official logo. The Rooneys like the idea, and soon, the the Steelmark logo that belonged to the American Iron and Steel Institute also belonged to the Steelers.

They wanted to put it on their helmets, but the fashion-conservative Rooney family, not wanting to to do anything too flashy or daring (understandably, since we're talking about Pittsburgh here, where they've only just now started to believe that people without moustaches could be decent, trustworthy people), experimented first with just putting the logo on one side.

That way, if the people of Pittsburgh turned out to not be ready for such a fashion-forward move, they could just, I don't know ... move to other side of the stadium and look at the blank side.

Myself, I rather like the three touching hypocycloids. They make use of the three primary colors, the very bedrocks of our visual abilities, and there's meaning behind each hypocycloid, too.

When the Steelmark logo was created, U.S. Steel attached the following meaning to it: Steel lightens your work, brightens your leisure and widens your world. The logo was used as part of a major marketing campaign to educate consumers about how important steel is in our daily lives. The Steelmark logo was used in print, radio and television ads as well as on labels for all steel products, from steel tanks to tricycles to filing cabinets.

In the 1960s, U.S. Steel turned over the Steelmark program to the AISI, where it came to represent the steel industry as a whole. During the 1970s, the logo's meaning was extended to include the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal, orange for ore and blue for steel scrap. In the late 1980s, when the AISI founded the Steel Recycling Institute (SRI), the logo took on a new life reminiscent of its 1950s meaning.

Coal isn't yellow, but whatever. Let's not split hairs.

Anyway, the fans didn't object, and the Steelers followed the adoption of the logo with two other tweaks: They changed their helmets from gold (you saw these when the Steelers wore throwbacks this past year) to black, and they got the American Iron and Steel Institute to let them put "Steelers" in the logo, as opposed to just "Steel." That happened in 1963, and since then, things have remained unchanged.

You combine that kind of history and consistency with the overwhelming amount of quirk in the Steelers helmet, and I do believe you've got an undisputed champion here. It's quirk city on the side of Ben Roethlisberger's head. Observe:

• It's the only professional helmet to use a logo that was once a corporate logo before it became a football team logo (other than the short-lived and now defunct Miami Hooters of the Arena Football league).

• It is the only helmet in the NFL to have a logo on one side, but not the other.

• There are two colors present in the helmet logo that exist nowhere else in the Steelers uniform: red and blue.

It's extremely unique, it's got an interesting backstory, and obviously, there's a lot of winning tradition behind it. It succeeds on every front, and is something that's kind of evolved organically out of the town itself to become a powerful and iconic sports logo.

Thankfully for the local football team, Pittsburgh was, in the 60s, a city known for the hard, durable, solid steel it produced. If Pittsburgh had been a city known for cotton, latex, or their burlesque shoes, franchise history could've been totally different.

Previously:
The Honorable Mentions
#11: Buffalo Bills, '65 - 73
#10: Edmonton Eskimos, '70 - Present
#9: San Diego Chargers, '61 - '73
#8: Iowa Barnstormers, '95 - Present
#7: Cincinnati Bengals, '81 - Present
#6: Philadelphia Stars, '83 - '85
#5: Dallas Cowboys, '77 - 'Present
#4: Houston Oilers, '75 - '80
#3: Tie: Green Bay Packers and Indianapolis Colts
#2: Tampa Bay Buccaneers, '76 - '96
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...?urn=nfl,86626

The Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:29 AM   #2
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,583 Times in 1,517 Posts
My Mood: Lurking
Default Re: The Coolest Helmet in History: The Pittsburgh Steelers

Nice read way to go pittsburgh.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Elvis
Banned

Member Number: 2390

I always thought the old Tampa Bay Buccaneers helmet was a cool helmet, and why they changed to what they got now is a mystery to me.
The Houston Oilers helmet was kind of plain but I liked it as well.
Cant believe that the Washington Redskins was not even in the top 10 though.. thats a shame.. that helmet is pretty awesome as well.. too bad the team aint that good
Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 07:17 AM   #4
stillers4me
Living Legend

Member Number: 2656

Can't figure out why the Bengals made the list.

That helmet is just plain tacky.

But once again......we are awesome!
stillers4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:11 AM   #5
Steeldude
Living Legend

i know people here hate the pariots very much, but their old helmet is a classic that never should have changed. same goes for the bucs.
Steeldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,170 Times in 432 Posts

Can't figure out why the old LA Rams helmet didn't make the list. Another classic.

I also think the Bucs' helmet/color scheme changed for the better - their old helmet/color scheme looked like a creamsicle.

Can't argue with #1, though.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:02 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
I also think the Bucs' helmet/color scheme changed for the better - their old helmet/color scheme looked like a creamsicle.
I was just going to type the same thing!

Can't argue with number one!

And the Bengals helmets, it looks like they let a 5 year old design their helmets.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984
Thanked 1,170 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
....the Bengals helmets, it looks like they let a 5 year old design their helmets.
Funny thing is, I remember when they switched to the tiger stripes back in 1981 - a LOT of people joked about it and remarked how ugly they were. However, the tiger stripes were still an improvement over their old helmets (basically a Browns helmet with "BENGALS" stenciled on the side).
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:33 PM   #9
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

I remember as a really young kid, there was just something ....special...about the Steelers helmets. I can still remember the feeling that I would get looking at football cards and at the Franco Harris poster on my bedroom wall. It was a combination of toughness and mystique....thinking about it still makes me nostalgic.

I have to put the Rams helmets up there (first team to paint emblems on their helmets)...also like the Texans...Jaquars...Broncos... and Raiders in no particular order.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 01:34 PM   #10
19ward86
Head Coach

Member Number: 2717

iowa barnstormers?