Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-09-2008, 03:39 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Steelers' Baker plots route to roster

Steelers' Baker plots route to roster
By Scott Brown
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, June 9, 2008

The ring may have been from just the Outback Bowl, but Dallas Baker fell in love with it, especially since his last name and jersey number had been engraved in it.
He wore it everywhere and took it off only when necessary, such as the time he went for a dip while he and his family were celebrating the Fourth of July at the beach in their hometown of New Smyrna, Fla. When he got out of the water, the ring was nowhere to be found, and Baker all but enlisted the beach patrol in an unsuccessful recovery effort.

"I was depressed for a while, because that ring meant everything to me," the former University of Florida standout said. "I ended up getting a letter when I went back to school for two-a-days, and a guy from Atlanta was saying he found my ring, and he would ship it to me."

The Steelers are hoping that Baker turns out to be every bit the found treasure as his cherished ring.

After spending his rookie season on the Steelers' practice squad, Baker will push for a roster spot and try to add depth to a wide receiving corps that features returning starters Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes and welcomes highly touted newcomer Limas Sweed.

The selection of Sweed in the second round of the NFL Draft in late April appeared to give the Steelers the tall receiver they have lacked since Plaxico Burress' departure following the 2004 season, but Baker should not be overlooked.

The 6-foot-3, 206-pound Baker impressed Steelers coaches with the catches he made on a regular basis during practice last season, and his knowledge of the offense has since grown.

"What a difference a year makes," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "He's confident. He has an understanding of what we ask him to do."

One thing that has the Steelers particularly excited about Baker, who is admittedly quiet and laid back: He needs time before feeling comfortable (and thriving) in new environments.

That proved to be the case at Florida, where he didn't break out until his fourth year in the program. Baker starred as a fifth-year senior, catching 60 passes for 920 yards and 10 touchdowns while helping the Gators win the national championship.

But despite good size and favorable bloodlines (his uncle is former NFL wide receiver Wes Chandler), Baker lasted until the seventh round of the 2007 Draft.

He caught just one pass in five preseason games last season, but he opened eyes after making the Steelers' practice squad. However, as Tomlin would be the first to say, making plays in practice is one thing; making them in games is quite another.

"He's taken giant steps, and I'm really proud of (how far) he's come," quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said. "He's been doing great in the slot."

Baker said he hasn't missed an offseason practice or a conditioning session - he has added five pounds to his lanky frame -- and he has spent extra time watching film with wide receivers coach Randy Fichtner.

"I think I made a little progress, but I know I have a long way to go," Baker said. "I've got to keep getting better and make sure I understand what's going on because that way you play faster."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_571697.html
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:57 AM   #2
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Steelers' Baker plots route to roster

It looks likely to be Baker versus Reid for the no 5 spot. (throw in the UFA's as well I guess) Speed vs Height???

The arrival of Sweed may make the job a little harder for Baker, but I think Willie Reid is one step closer to the door at this stage.

A cowher pick vs a Tomlin pick, I wonder if this has any bearing if the contest is really tight?
Old 06-09-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 2,526 Times in 1,104 Posts

I also see reid being shown the door he just hasn't done anything since he was drafted I think baker will take the no.5 position.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #4
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,314 Times in 655 Posts

Yeah, if Me Moore can return punts and kickoffs, then Reid has little value.

Gotta look at 2009 and Ward will be one year closer to the end, Washington will likely be testing free agency and that will really leave the future to Holmes, Sweed and ......Baker??

Gonna need to find a fast WR in the draft.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #5
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
Yeah, if Me Moore can return punts and kickoffs, then Reid has little value.

Gotta look at 2009 and Ward will be one year closer to the end, Washington will likely be testing free agency and that will really leave the future to Holmes, Sweed and ......Baker??

Gonna need to find a fast WR in the draft.
I was surprised to find out that Nate is the fastest WR on the team...and it looks like Dallas is working at the slot position.....Holmes/Sweed/Baker/Washington....???....The future looks bright.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
El-Gonzo Jackson
Living Legend

Member Number: 8264
Thanked 1,314 Times in 655 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
I was surprised to find out that Nate is the fastest WR on the team...and it looks like Dallas is working at the slot position.....Holmes/Sweed/Baker/Washington....???....The future looks bright.
Nate is probably faster at the 20, while Holmes probably faster in the 40 and beyond.

I honestly dont see Washington around after this season. I think he wants to be the #2 and have a shot at it, but here its gonna be Holmes and Sweed. Nate will probably test the FA market and there is always somebody willing to overpay a promising guy with speed and experience. I would love to see him stay, but doubt it happens.
El-Gonzo Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #7
MDSteel15
Team President

Member Number: 8170

Holmes/Sweed/Baker/Washington....??? and UDFA Micah Rucker! 6'6" 4.4 40...... Height, speed and a good demeanor
MDSteel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 PM   #8
warddj86
Starter

Member Number: 4235

1 Ward
2 Holmes
3 Sweed
4 Washington
5 Reid/Baker

WOW! Not too shabby
warddj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Sure would be nice to see Baker step up...

Him, Sweed, Washington (maybe), and our TE's...

we're moving up to the land of giants
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 PM   #10
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 2,672 Times in 1,156 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDSteel15 View Post
Holmes/Sweed/Baker/Washington....??? and UDFA Micah Rucker! 6'6" 4.4 40...... Height, speed and a good demeanor
i guess ward gets replaced by rucker ???

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote