Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-10-2008, 04:18 AM   #1
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363
Default Bears release Benson following 2nd arrest

Bears release Benson following 2nd arrest
Monday, June 09, 2008

LAKE FOREST, Ill. (AP) Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was released Monday following his second alcohol-related arrest in a month.

"Cedric displayed a pattern of behavior we will not tolerate," General Manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement. "As I said this past weekend, you have to protect your job. Everyone in this organization is held accountable for their actions."

The troubled running back did not participate in organized team activities on Monday, and it was unclear whether he showed up at Halas Hall.

Benson's agent Eugene Parker and attorney Sam Bassett did not return messages seeking comment before the announcement that he'd been waived.

The Bears had already made it clear they were losing patience with Benson when they drafted Tulane's Matt Forte in the second round in April. Three ineffective, injury-plagued years during which Benson at times annoyed teammates with blunt comments left management looking for another running back. And that was before the recent brushes with the law.

"When individual priorities overshadow team goals, we suffer the consequences as a team," Angelo said. "Those who fail to understand the importance of 'team' will not play for the Chicago Bears."

Benson's rocky relationship with the Bears took a turn for the worse when he was arrested on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, early Saturday after failing a field sobriety test. The former first-round draft pick was released on bond.

The former first-round draft pick was also arrested May 5 and charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest on a lake near Austin. Both cases are pending.

Bassett said Saturday that the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner but didn't think he was intoxicated, although he acknowledged his client would "probably be in trouble with his team."

Benson was pulled over for running a red light and refused to take a breath test or provide blood samples Saturday, Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said.

Bassett said Benson thought the light was yellow when he went through around 2 a.m. but stopped immediately when police appeared, and he added that Benson told him he wasn't speeding or driving recklessly.

The last thing he needed was more trouble.

A few promising glimpses aside, Benson has not lived up to the hype that accompanied him to the NFL when the Bears took him with the fourth pick in 2005. He has 1,593 yards and 10 touchdowns while averaging 3.8 yards a carry for the Bears after running for more than 5,500 yards and 64 touchdowns at Texas.

Benson also has a June 30 court date for the May arrest while operating a 30-foot boat on Lake Travis -- an incident in which authorities used pepper spray to subdue him. No court date had been set for the latest incident as of Monday afternoon.

With Benson gone, Forte has a big opportunity.

"I'm not going to sit here and doubt myself or my talent," Forte said before Benson was released. "I believe that I can come in and play."

http://www.theredzone.org/absolutenm...d=654&zoneid=1
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 04:32 AM   #2
Aussie_steeler
Head Coach

Member Number: 5037
Default Re: Bears release Benson following 2nd arrest

I just dont understand the mentality of some. You are priviliged to have talent and are priviliged that an NFL team throws buckets of money at you to play a sport you love.

In return you act like a fool and throw it away.

Lets hope he makes a better fist of it if he is given a second chance.
Old 06-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #3
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,072 Times in 1,298 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

I just don't understand this to mess up his carrer with alcohol it looks like he would have learned from the first time I guess some people never learn.
Old 06-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_steeler View Post
I just dont understand the mentality of some. You are priviliged to have talent and are priviliged that an NFL team throws buckets of money at you to play a sport you love.
Well, that's just it - if he could've actually cut the mustard at the NFL level, he'd have at least 5 or 6 more chances coming (see Pacman, Chris Henry, etc.). When you're a first round bust, your margin for error is quite a bit smaller, however.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 08:21 AM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

i bet the bears are wishing they had kept jones now instead of benson.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:12 AM   #6
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

My "Matt Forte for Offensive Rookie of the Year" forcast...is looking better and better...!!!
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

(snicker snicker)
"Boy, he'd sure look good in the B&G for vet minimum"
Old 06-10-2008, 09:37 AM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

I think the fact that runningback is a very deep position in the modern NFL and that there is more and more talent that can play at least consistantly at the Pro Level leads to a lot of these guys being let go from their teams.

Its about time too.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:56 AM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 6,207 Times in 2,670 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
(snicker snicker)
"Boy, he'd sure look good in the B&G for vet minimum"
damn. beat me to it.

"...compliment to willie ....jerome bettis... .... goal line back ......learned his lesson........ 2nd chance....

but damn, with benson, s. alexander, lamont jordan, kevin jones, etc. where the hell was this plethora of backs when jerome retired and we were picking up najeh davenport off of the scrapheap?

im sure patfans have a multi page threads up on benson being their next moss/dillon reclaimation project. according to them, they should bring all these guys in to back up faulk, maroney, and morris.

theyre like sharks in the water anytime a player is released regardless of any issues.

anyways, i found a parting gift for ced....

http://forums.steelersfever.com/show...ight=bear+mace

"bear mace"
Old 06-10-2008, 10:04 AM   #10
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
im sure patfans have a multi page threads up on benson being their next moss/dillon reclaimation project.
Corey Dillon is guaranteed to be a 1st-ballot HoFer due entirely to his service with the Patriots. (gurgle, slurp)

NM

fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote