Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-11-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512
Default Carson Palmer: not going to let Chad Johnson break apart what we have

Bengals' QB had a lengthy interview on the team's website. He didn't exactly have Chad Johnson's back, saying "What he's not going to do is come in and break apart what we have going right now. That sure as hell is not going to happen."

Here's a link to the full interview, below are some more comments. GH is the writer, CP is of course Palmer.

Quote:
GH: Do you think you can get a Super Bowl here?
CP: No question. No question. Since I've been here I've seen nothing but a goal of trying to win. I don't feel like the organization has been satisfied with anything that we've done.

You look back and people complain we don't bring in any big free agents. The only guys you know are the guys already in the organization. The guys that perform like Rudi (Johnson) did and they re-paid Rudi a top deal. They re-paid Chad a top deal. They paid both offensive linemen (Willie Anderson and Levi Jones). Me. Chad. They rewarded guys. Guys signed contracts, so they obviously thought it was a good enough deal to sign.

From what I've seen, this organization wants to win as badly as anybody else does. Now, can you chalk it up to bad luck when a guy breaks his neck and has to retire as a first-round pick (David Pollack)? Another guy breaks his ankle and has other bad luck (Chris Perry)? Or another guy can't stay within the rules (Chris Henry and Odell Thurman)?

You don't know when you draft those guys. You can't predict a guy is going to have to retire. You have to chalk some things up to bad luck and I think we've definitely had some bad luck.

But so have a lot of teams.

GH: I get the sense that one of the reasons this team hasn't been back to the playoffs is because it had trouble staying focused during adversity. Whether on the field with your injury, blowups, the arrests, little things in games that couldn't be overcome...
CP: This league is hard enough. It's so competitive. It's so hard to win, let alone win (consistently). Look at New England and Indy. They're probably the two most consistent teams. They don't ever have anything else. All they're worried about is football, where we've got guys worried about other things. For whatever reason. You may think it's not a big distraction, but it's somewhat of a distraction.

The way this league is, the fewer the distractions the better. Just look at the track record of Indy and New England. They don't have distractions.

GH: This seems to have been the ultimate offseason of distractions. Yet talking to guys, it seems to have been a focused camp.
CP: The guys that have been here have done a great job of worrying about each other and not worried about anything in the media or anything else. The locker room we have right now is phenomenal. Guys want to get better. Guys want to learn from other guys.

Look at a guy like Whit and Bobbie (guards Andrew Whitworth and Bobbie Williams) who have taken Anthony Collins (under the wing.) I mean, Anthony Collins is out there and he's got somebody in his ear all practice long. And it's good. Some of it is pump up, some of it is, 'Hey, you've got to do this,' or 'You stepped wrong here.' Everyone is taking guys under their wing and really trying to learn.

There's (rookie wide receiver) Jerome Simpson, who just wants to know. Who just wants knowledge. He's so appreciative of anything you can say to him.

GH: It looks like you've taken Simpson and (fellow rookie receiver Andre) Caldwell under your wing after practices.
CP: I'm trying to help them, but so are Antonio (Chatman) and Marcus (Maxwell). Everyone is trying to help them. There is no selfishness whatsoever and that's what we haven't had in a long time and it's great to be a part of this.

GH: Do you think you guys can survive whatever the circus brings Thursday if Chad does or doesn't come?
CP: You know what? I have no idea what's going to happen. What he's not going to do is come in and break apart what we have going right now. That sure as hell is not going to happen. I don't know how big of a circus, how little of a circus. I like where we're at. Hopefully he comes in and fits in with what we've created here
Make it to the Super Bowl with that team? I'm not sure if I would call that positive thinking, or being delusional.
HughC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 12:12 PM   #2
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551
Default Re: Carson Palmer: not going to let Chad Johnson break apart what we have

:sign09:

The division is up for grabs between Cleveland and Pittsburgh this year.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:54 PM   #3
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Re: Carson Palmer: not going to let Chad Johnson break apart what we have

Sure they can win the Super Bowl...they'll just outscore everyone 70-68.

Not with that "defense", Carson.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #4
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post

The division is up for grabs between Cleveland and Pittsburgh this year.
Songs for you....

"Dream On" Aerosmith

"All I have to Do is Dream" Everly Brothers

"Daydream Believer" the Monkees

"Dream Weaver" Gary Wright

Listen to those songs often. This way you have an excuse for not facing reality.
Old 06-11-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino 5 Rings View Post
Songs for you....

"Dream On" Aerosmith

"All I have to Do is Dream" Everly Brothers

"Daydream Believer" the Monkees

"Dream Weaver" Gary Wright

Listen to those songs often. This way you have an excuse for not facing reality.
songs for you..

"Don't know what you got (till it's gone)" Cinderella

"Headed for a heartbreak" Winger

"This is the end" The Doors

"Cleveland Rocks" Ian Hunt

hehehe.... picking song titles as metaphors for an approaching season captures a duality unlike no other.
Old 06-11-2008, 02:51 PM   #6
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodWoodsonwasprettycool View Post
At least we can all agree on something.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #7
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,198 Times in 476 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by j-dawg View Post
songs for you..

"Don't know what you got (till it's gone)" Cinderella

"Headed for a heartbreak" Winger

"This is the end" The Doors

"Cleveland Rocks" Ian Hunt

hehehe.... picking song titles as metaphors for an approaching season captures a duality unlike no other.
One more for the browns fans
"You got another thing coming" Judas Priest
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 12:50 PM   #8
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Here's some more Browns Fans...

"Everybody Hurts" REM (for when we kick your arse again, you won't feel so alone)

"Hurt" Nine Inch Nails (just in case you didn't get it the first time, its going to hurt alot)

"Shattered Dreams" Johnny Hates Jazz (Cause you will have to wake up sometime)

"Here Comes The Sun" The Beatles (For next January when your sitting on your asssses again watching us in the playoffs you can pretend to have hope for the 2009 season)
Old 06-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #9
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark
Supporter

Member Number: 658
Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,583 Posts

3 songs for brownies to listen to in succession-

beat it. you aint nuthin but a hound dog. we are the champions.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
You look back and people complain we don't bring in any big free agents. The only guys you know are the guys already in the organization. The guys that perform like Rudi (Johnson) did and they re-paid Rudi a top deal. They re-paid Chad a top deal. They paid both offensive linemen (Willie Anderson and Levi Jones). Me. Chad. They rewarded guys. Guys signed contracts, so they obviously thought it was a good enough deal to sign.
that is the smartest thing carson has ever said...

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote