Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 06-13-2008, 02:44 PM   #1
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435
Default Tim Russert Died today

they just interrupted my soap to say he collasped at the studio today..wow

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:11 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Tim Russert Died today

How terribly sad. I liked Russert. Prayers go out to his family.

Story below.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,366743,00.html

NBC Washington Bureau Chief Tim Russert Dies at 58
Friday, June 13, 2008

WASHINGTON — NBC Washington Bureau Chief Tim Russert has died, NBC reported Friday.

Russert, host of top-rated Sunday talk show "Meet the Press," reportedly died of a heart attack. He was 58.

A noticeably shaken Tom Brokaw made the announcement live from New York, saying his colleague collapsed and died at work in the NBC News bureau in Washington.

Brokaw said Russert had just returned from a trip with his wife and son, who had just graduated Boston College.

"He has been a very familiar face on this network and throughout the world of political journalism," Brokaw said, calling him "one of the premiere journalists of our time."

He grew up in Buffalo.

Russert had hosted "Meet the Press" since 1991, taking the seat from Garrick Utley. Russert also authored two best-sellers, including "Big Russ and Me," which focused on the relationship with his father, and the "Wisdom of Our Fathers."

Russert regularly interviewed the biggest names in domestic and international politics, and moderated presidential debates, including at least three during the 2008 presidential campaign cycle. He was scheduled to host Sens. Joe Biden, D-Del., and Lindsey Graham, R-S.C.

Meet the Press has been on network television since 1947, and is the longest running public affairs show.

Russert, who also was an attorney and a former aide to New York former Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan, D-N.Y., and Gov. Mario Cuomo (D), had a distinctive on-air style that included posting well-documented quotes and charts on air. During the 2000 election, Russert received light ribbing for repeated references to a white dry-erase board he continued to write on while explaining the ongoing tallies.

Russert's reputation might have been the only one left untarnished by the scandal involving I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby and Valerie Plame in the CIA Leak case, which turned on Russert's testimony.

"When Russert said something, it had an enormous impact," said "FOX News Sunday" host Chris Wallace, commenting on Russert's early call that the 2008 Democratic primaries were essentially over, favoring Obama. Obama eventually clinched the number of delegates needed to win and is now the presumptive nominee.

And former House Speaker Newt Gingrich, R-Ga., said, "All of us who have had any connection with Tim Russert are stunned and shocked. He was so vital, so intense, so totally committed to life. ... I think everybody who knew him must be both very said and in a genuine state of shock."

Several sources confirm to FOX News that Russert was in what is known as a tracking booth, recording voice-overs for the upcoming show, and started having problems breathing. He apparently collapsed and an ambulance was called. He was unconscious as he left and never revived.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:15 PM   #3
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Brokaw said Russert had just returned from a trip with his wife and son, who had just graduated Boston College.
they had just gotten back from europe.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:41 PM   #4
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

I liked Russert.

My thoughts go out to his family.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Its sad when people die so suddenly and when they aren't really that old. Same age as Dwight White, seems so young to be dying these days with the advances in medicine we've supposedly made.
Old 06-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #6
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Wow...

that is sad.

He was one of the last few Good media people. He always played it down the middle and was intellectual honest with his guests.

What a shame, and what a loss. Just when our country needs more people like him in the media... we lose another one.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Tim Russert dies and somehow Limbaugh and Beck are still alive.

Life just ain't fair!
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,842 Times in 2,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Tim Russert dies and somehow Limbaugh and Beck are still alive.

Life just ain't fair!
agreed. although beck seems more like just an innocent, ignorant, idiot.

tim russert really seemed like a likeable person. he always was smiling and seemed to trully enjoy his job. seemed to really enjoy life and people. seemed like the type of person anyone would wanna call "friend". unlike a person like belichick who just seems like a surley prick.

its sad when people like russert go early.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:16 PM   #9
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,108 Times in 2,389 Posts

Sad loss- he had Dem roots working for Cuomo & Moynihan but unlike clowns such as Olberman, Matthews, and O'Reilly seemed to play it straight in his reporting

More importantly, he apparently was a devoted son and father

His doctor was on MSNBC and said he battled weight, had asymptomtic cardiac disease but passed a stress test 6 weeks ago = as I read somewhere, that sends a chill among middle aged guys such as myself who could stand to lose a few pounds
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #10
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest View Post
agreed. although beck seems more like just an innocent, ignorant, idiot.

tim russert really seemed like a likeable person. he always was smiling and seemed to trully enjoy his job. seemed to really enjoy life and people. seemed like the type of person anyone would wanna call "friend". unlike a person like belichick who just seems like a surley prick.

its sad when people like russert go early.
Kinda wierd this happened right before Father's Day. He had a tradition of inviting political big wigs from both sides of the aisle on Father's Day to Meet The Press and having them bring their little kids along. It would make for a really interesting show where you saw these political enemies appear much more human when they are with their kids.

Russert did seem to have a level of integrity and intellectual honesty that seems to elude all the pretty boys in that level of media. Sucks for all of us. Very sad for his family.