Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

Old 06-13-2008, 08:15 PM   #1
steelymcmatt
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 8255
Default Next time you're pumping gas at $4/gallon +.....

think about this:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archive.../06/020696.php

For several decades, the Democratic Party has pursued policies designed to drive up the cost of petroleum, and therefore gas at the pump. Remarkably, the Democrats don't seem to have taken much of a political hit from the current spike in gas prices. Probably that's because most people don't realize how different the two parties' energy policies have been.

ANWR Exploration:
House Republicans: 91% Supported
House Democrats: 86% Opposed

Coal-to-Liquid:
House Republicans: 97% Supported
House Democrats: 78% Opposed

Oil Shale Exploration:
House Republicans: 90% Supported
House Democrats: 86% Opposed

Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Exploration:
House Republicans: 81% Supported
House Democrats: 83% Opposed

Refinery Increased Capacity:
House Republicans: 97% Supported
House Democrats: 96% Opposed

SUMMARY

91% of House Republicans have historically voted to increase the
production of American-made oil and gas.

86% of House Democrats have historically voted against increasing the
production of American-made oil and gas.
Old 06-13-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370
Default Re: Next time you're pumping gas at $4/gallon +.....

I think the problem is that so many politicians are on the boards of big oil companies. They receive a nice fat paycheck from the companies, therefore the higher the gas prices the higher the checks.

These companies are making multi-BILLION dollars each QUARTER, but still say they CANNOT AFFORD to lower the prices of gasoline and deisel.

I work for BP, as a customer service representive (fancy name for a gas station attendant). Beleive me, I am not seeing any of these billions of dollars.

Also, please don't yell at the gas station attendants about the gas prices. We don't know when the prices are going up and down and we don't decide what to charge. We just work the register, we're low-man on the totem poll.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
Preacher
Living Legend

Member Number: 16327

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I think the problem is that so many politicians are on the boards of big oil companies. They receive a nice fat paycheck from the companies, therefore the higher the gas prices the higher the checks.

These companies are making multi-BILLION dollars each QUARTER, but still say they CANNOT AFFORD to lower the prices of gasoline and deisel.

I work for BP, as a customer service representive (fancy name for a gas station attendant). Beleive me, I am not seeing any of these billions of dollars.

Also, please don't yell at the gas station attendants about the gas prices. We don't know when the prices are going up and down and we don't decide what to charge. We just work the register, we're low-man on the totem poll.

When you do not allow an increase in the supply, the demand goes up and so does the price.

You want the price to come down? Inclrease the supply. Otherwise, if you drive down the price without increasing the supply, you will end up with a massive oil shortage.

If that happened... they you would ACTUALLY SEE A BAD ECONOMY.

Not the hiccup we have now.

It sure is amazing how short our memories are.
Preacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 12:24 AM   #4
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

or is it that for years the Democrats have been warning us that we need to get away from oil,,,,,,and for years the Republicans have fought it..

Dick Cheney get a monthly check from the oil companies...... He also recently had a meeting with the oil companies and refuses to discuss what went on at the meeting.

I dont believe that it is fair to blame either party that the gas prices have gone so high, I will say that the democrats have been trying to tell us all this for years.

Hopefully we will get away from oil in the future.........as for now it will be interesting to see exactly how high the gas will go before it breaks tha american people.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228

pshhh.... dems/repubs it doesn't matter. they need each other to exist. this country needs a third, fourth, fifth party. it needs a cohesive energy policy that embraces alternate sources, not just one alternate source, but many. it's amazing how myopic our appointed leaders can be in regards to the problems this country faces. it's also amazing how so many will latch on to one party and defend their worst decisions with rabid fanfare.
there's a huge source of oil off the shores of the Pacific not 10 miles west of where I live. the folks who own muti-million dollar homes, with their beach front views, don't want to see oil decks out there. so it's MUST be the democrat, who represents them, that's at fault.... right? BOTH parties are at fault for not being able to circumvent their differences and create a national energy policy that would be beneficial not to just a few, but the entire nation. a national energy policy that has a thirty year projection, and can't be altered by the elected administration, regardless of their party affiliation. one that would embrace alternate sources of energy, market competition, and cleaner solutions. why this can't be considered or discussed is the VERY reason why we're in this mess.
obama is a huge supporter of nuclear energy. 46% of his home states energy comes from nuclear energy. the industry proclaims itself as clean energy, obama uses their talking points verbatim. he speaks of advances in science that will create the ability to clean the radioactive material a nuclear power plant creates. the science simply does not exist. right now we put the material in drums that will erode in a hundred years, but the material remains dangerous for nearly 500,000 years. is this good energy policy? there's a company that is developing a solar cell that comes in a roll and can be applied in strips on your roof! it's an amazing product. http://www.photovoltaicsolarcells.com/ imagine if everyone were to have a simple product such as this contributing to their households energy demands.

again, i wonder, why do so many bicker about the other parties short commings? it's clear neither have done enough to advance this nations future.
Old 06-14-2008, 12:43 PM   #6
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

It's simply not politically viable or expedient in this country to take the strategic view. We, as Americans, want what we want, and we want it right now. Show me a politician who introduces a 30 year plan that will take sacrifices by everyone to accomplish, and I'll show you a politician who loses in a landslide...

Sad but true.
Old 06-14-2008, 01:09 PM   #7
j-dawg
Team Captain

Member Number: 2228

Quote:
Originally Posted by revefsreleets View Post
It's simply not politically viable or expedient in this country to take the strategic view. We, as Americans, want what we want, and we want it right now. Show me a politician who introduces a 30 year plan that will take sacrifices by everyone to accomplish, and I'll show you a politician who loses in a landslide...

Sad but true.
Ummm... how 'bout FDR... social security, federal deposit insurance corporation, federal housing administration, security and exchange commision, tenessee valley authority.... all programs still in existence more than seventy years later.

what made such programs come to fruition? a stagnant economy where change and long term direction was imperative... sound familiar?
Old 06-14-2008, 01:39 PM   #8
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 8,264 Times in 3,630 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCSteeler View Post
I work for a cigarette company and we make great profits, but we don't lower prices.
With regard to not cutting prices, it presumably helps to sell a product that is addictive - not saying tobacco companies should not sell it, just saying the buyers are not as sensitive to prices.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:44 PM   #9
TroysBadDawg
Assistant Coach

Member Number: 6617

It is not that gas is addictive it is a necessity anymore. What is going to happen when people refuse to work at fast food restaurants because they don't make enough to pay for the gas to get back and forth? There are other jobs in the market that are also min. wage jobs that people are going to refuse to work at because they could not afford to. This will lead to more illegals taking the jobs for under the table pay or accepting min. wage because they are living in a garage or in a multifamily dwelling that is supposed to be single family..

Here We Go Brownies Here We Go Woof Woof
Americanos dicen ingl?s, Aprietan dos para Deportaci?
TroysBadDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroysBadDawg View Post
It is not that gas is addictive it is a necessity anymore. What is going to happen when people refuse to work at fast food restaurants because they don't make enough to pay for the gas to get back and forth? There are other jobs in the market that are also min. wage jobs that people are going to refuse to work at because they could not afford to. This will lead to more illegals taking the jobs for under the table pay or accepting min. wage because they are living in a garage or in a multifamily dwelling that is supposed to be single family..
very good point.

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote