Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-14-2008, 01:08 PM   #1
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512
Default Jeremy Shockey in shouting match with Giants GM Jerry Reese

The always angry Jeremy Shockey took his feud to a new level this week, when he reportedly got in a huge shouting match with Giant's GM Jerry Reese. Maybe he's jealous that teammate Plaxico Burress is getting more of agent Drew Rosenhaus's attention recently.

Quote:
Shockey remained secluded Friday, the final day of the team’s mandatory minicamp, leaving Giants Stadium before the morning practice ended. Reports later surfaced he and Reese had an animated argument, apparently over some points the tight end listed Saturday as reasons for his unrest.

One was the Giants’ insistence he watch Super Bowl XLII from co-owner Steve Tisch’s luxury box instead of from the sidelines. More important, however, was Shockey’s claim the Giants spread the rumors of his off-season unrest in hopes of drumming up trade interest.

During an appearance last Saturday at Corona Park, Shockey said the Giants “released multiple things about myself. If you look back into the media, there’s always a source. Well, I’d like to know who the source is. We’ll go over here and deal it out ourselves.”

If he figured Reese as the source, the argument might have been the “deal it out.”

Meanwhile, Drew Rosenhaus, agent for Shockey, wide receiver Plaxico Burress and several other Giants, showed up at Giants Stadium on Friday afternoon. Reese said he had no meeting planned with the agent, who said, “I’m just here to visit with my clients as they wrap up minicamp, to see the guys. That was my purpose for being here.”

Rosenhaus added, however, “The best thing I can say about Jeremy’s situation is that we are talking to the team about some of the issues that exist and we hope to get that resolved.”

If the Giants can’t get them resolved — and it appears Shockey is convinced about the rumor-spreading part — they will have to decide whether to keep a talented but unhappy player, or send him packing. After the shouting match, it may well have reached the point where Reese will entertain offers.

The Saints tried to make a deal around draft time, while the Buccaneers also may have an interest. And Shockey probably would not mind a ticket to his beloved Miami, although that probably will not happen.

After the minicamp, the Giants probably feel a little bit better about having to replace him if they do grow tired of his act. Kevin Boss and Darcy Johnson took the bulk of the tight end snaps during the five practices, the last of which was held Friday morning. And both did a good job catching the ball.

Johnson, in particular, showed little effect from the knee injury that cost him last season, and he made several impressive receptions during the practices.

Boss is the second-year man who had that offense-igniting 45-yard reception in the Super Bowl. Johnson played in two games (including the playoff loss to the Eagles) in the 2006 season before suffering a training camp MCL injury last summer. Boss has built himself up to 265 and Johnson to 270, and at 6 feet 6 and 6-5, respectively, would provide nice targets for quarterback Eli Manning.

“Unfortunately Darcy was hurt, and we had a lot of hopes that he would be an integral part of what we did,” offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride said. “But it was good to see Kevin Boss grow the way he did, probably earlier than we anticipated having to depend on him. That will serve us well this year because he got a lot more game experience than we had anticipated him getting. That is only going to be a good thing going forward.

“I won’t say [the offense] is tight end oriented, but certainly the success or failure is predicated on that position doing well, certainly in the running game and also very much so in the passing game.”

That’s why Shockey has been such an important part of the offense as a two-way player. But that was before he became so disenchanted.

“In my dealings with him, there hasn’t been,” coach Tom Coughlin said Friday when asked if there had been any progress in the tight end’s mental state. “I don’t sense it. There is an issue, but it is not something that would prevent him from working.”
So who wants a high priced, high maintenance Tight End?

Tirade may be last straw for Shockey.
Shockey is shouting mad
HughC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:44 PM   #2
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 6,322 Times in 2,896 Posts
Default Re: Jeremy Shockey in shouting match with Giants GM Jerry Reese

Giants are having a post-SB off-season like the Steelers did, except Eli has not yet done a face plant through a windshield
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Giants are having a post-SB off-season like the Steelers did, except Eli has not yet done a face plant through a windshield
LOL. not that it would help eli..

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:06 PM   #4
fansince'76
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1984

Shockey's a head case and an ass, without a doubt, but making him watch the SB from the owner's box was pretty low.
fansince'76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #5
TackleMeBen
Southern Belle
Supporter

Location: where all the cute men are(especially the one in my avatar)
Member Number: 4435

its funny that while he was in uniform eli sucked. and then he gets hurt and eli plays much better???? (just a thought)

In memory of my brother Michael, who gave me my love of sports. I will miss you!
TackleMeBen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:33 PM   #6
missedgehead
Starter

Member Number: 8622

Jeremy is an awesome Tight End. I would not say Eli "sucked" with him. The guy got hot at the right time is all. Hopefully, the light went on inside Eli's head and it stays on. At least Eli was the Super Bowl MVP. Back to Shockey, the sad part is that he is such a danged hothead and can be a distraction in the lockerroom so that is possibly why Eli appeared to play better without him. A young QB like Eli does not need a hothead like Shockey in the lockerroom, IMO. However, Shockey is an integral part of that offense. Toomer is getting up there and Burress is all banged up. As someone who likes the Giants, it is sad to see them seemingly unraveling....of course, that is how they are. I figured they would unravel after that miracle Super Bowl run they had. I know my Giants. LOL I do feel that they should have had Shockey on the sidelines somehow to try to quell the perception that he was not needed on the team though.
missedgehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #7
Edman
Living Legend

Member Number: 3261
My Mood: Brooding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Actually the Giants are having it worse. The worst the Steelers faced was Ben's faceplant. That's it.

The Giants actually have players showing off their complacency.
Edman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 11:28 PM   #8
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

I think this all is rooted in the Giants making Shockey watch the Super Bowl from a luxury box instead of the sidelines. That really pissed him off.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Shockey dealt to the Saints this offseason. If they got Shockey, they'd have the best offense in the NFC bar none. He'd be worth the first rounder that the G-Men would be asking.

I really don't see the Giants keeping Shockey now. It's a shame because he's such a talented player...however he still has that University of Miami attitude...and that's what gets in his way.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #9
Galax Steeler
The Virginia Hillbilly
Supporter

Member Number: 3287
Thanked 3,176 Times in 1,350 Posts
My Mood: Lurking

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoethlisBURGHer View Post
I think this all is rooted in the Giants making Shockey watch the Super Bowl from a luxury box instead of the sidelines. That really pissed him off.

I think you are right I am not a shocky fan but that just wasn't right I would think he has seen his last days as a giant.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:42 AM   #10
Kittyfish
Bench Warmer

Location: A couple of hours north of Pgh - so close and yet so far...
Member Number: 5212

Why did they make him watch from the luxury box anyway? I'm sure that really hurt his feelings and made him angry. It would me.

I don't know that much about football in general (still learning) but Jeremy Shockey is someone whose name and number I have known for years, and I don't know that many jersey numbers outside of the Steelers. It just somehow penetrated my consciousness. He always seemed like a productive player to me, though I know nothing about his personality.
Kittyfish is offline   Reply With Quote