Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-16-2008, 06:40 AM   #11
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: Heritage Not Hate

I fly my Steelers flag in front of my porch.

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:02 AM   #12
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,017 Times in 407 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by HometownGal View Post
I fly my Steelers flag in front of my porch.
now that should be our national flag
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:37 AM   #13
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

As long as it isn't a Crescent Moon I don't give a crap what kind of flag you fly as long as you have a United States of American flag flying higher.

but if you fly a Crescant Moon anywhere that I can see, I will take it as a declaration of war and will take action accordingly.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #14
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelersMongol View Post

I've seen cars with those flags, & people who used Nazi flag as their avatars. When I tried to argue with some of them online, they think they have the right to use them just because some of the early Mongols had used them, long before Hitler's nazis. What they don't understand is when those early Mongols used them it had different meaning into it. And now the swastika has whole different meaning in the eyes of the whole world thanks to Hitler.
Yeah... the swastika was actually drived from a religious symbol and an ancient symbol representing peace. Funny that.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:00 PM   #15
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283
Default Re: Heritage Not Hate???

I thought I would click on your link to see what the Confederacy was all about, and see why someone would be so proud to fly the flag. The Constitution for the Confederate States of America could not be clearer in what they stood for, belief beyond a doubt, and enforced as law.
Here are the sections that stand out in the reason for not flying the flag.
We, the people of the Confederate States, each State acting in its sovereign and independent character, in order to form a permanent federal government, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity-invoking the favor and guidance of Almighty God - do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Confederate States of America.
Article IV.
Section 2
3) No slave or other person held to service or labor in any State or Territory of the Confederate States, under the laws thereof, escaping or lawfully carried into another, shall, in consequence of any law or regulation therein, be discharged from such service or labor; but shall be delivered up on claim of the party to whom such slave belongs,. or to whom such service or labor may be due.

Section 3
(3) The Confederate States may acquire new territory; and Congress shall have power to legislate and provide governments for the inhabitants of all territory belonging to the Confederate States, lying without the limits of the several Sates; and may permit them, at such times, and in such manner as it may by law provide, to form States to be admitted into the Confederacy. In all such territory the institution of negro slavery, as it now exists in the Confederate States, shall be recognized and protected by Congress and by the Territorial government; and the inhabitants of the several Confederate States and Territories shall have the right to take to such Territory any slaves lawfully held by them in any of the States or Territories of the Confederate States.

Click on the words “negro slavery” to see a sketch of a slave auction. Then within the pages of “Harpers Weekly” click on the page entitled “Description of a Slave Auction”.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:28 PM   #16
lamberts-lost-tooth
Banned

Member Number: 2363

Under some variation of the Stars & Stripes we have seen discrimination against Native Americans...Slavery and the subsequent discrimination against blacks...discrimination against women....against Japanese Americans during World War II.

All of these were the unfortunate growing pains of a country that had to become educated...that had to learn how to judge a person by the content of his heart and not the color of his skin.

I would die for that Flag...precisely because we have been given the latitude in this country to learn from our mistakes...We are putting aside our prejudices, not as a governmental mandate in which we dont change the heart and are forced into false acts regimented by law...but through genuine love of freedom that we want not only for ourselves but through the realization that it belongs to everyone.

The Confederate flag belonged to a group of people who cared very little about the issue of slavery (only 26% of families owned slaves)...and cared more about what they perceived as a Government that had overstepped his original intent and was infringing upon State rights (Wrongly, I believe...but that was their belief).

I hate prejudism with every fiber of my body and would give my life to defend the freedom of ALL men regardless of race or religion...but I dont care one bit about wether someone flies the Stars & Bars...Bigotry is in the heart, not on the cloth.
lamberts-lost-tooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #17
Godfather
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASTEELER View Post
YEE HAW now all we need is Budwiser , NASCAR, loose a few teeth and hate every one whose not white. Thats what that flag means these days.
Hey now, don't knock Bud
Godfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 04:01 PM   #18
Steelerstrength
Starter

Member Number: 3283

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamberts-lost-tooth View Post
Under some variation of the Stars & Stripes we have seen discrimination against Native Americans...Slavery and the subsequent discrimination against blacks...discrimination against women....against Japanese Americans during World War II.

All of these were the unfortunate growing pains of a country that had to become educated...that had to learn how to judge a person by the content of his heart and not the color of his skin.

I would die for that Flag...precisely because we have been given the latitude in this country to learn from our mistakes...We are putting aside our prejudices, not as a governmental mandate in which we dont change the heart and are forced into false acts regimented by law...but through genuine love of freedom that we want not only for ourselves but through the realization that it belongs to everyone.

The Confederate flag belonged to a group of people who cared very little about the issue of slavery (only 26% of families owned slaves)...and cared more about what they perceived as a Government that had overstepped his original intent and was infringing upon State rights (Wrongly, I believe...but that was their belief).

I hate prejudism with every fiber of my body and would give my life to defend the freedom of ALL men regardless of race or religion...but I dont care one bit about wether someone flies the Stars & Bars...Bigotry is in the heart, not on the cloth.
26% or not, when you place your beliefs in the Constitution, that is precisely what you stand for. Otherwise, why have it written?

When someone chooses to fly that flag, how are we to know whether they are the "bigot" or the other?

Defending freedom and speaking out against bigotry, and it's symbols, are two very different actions.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #19
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353

On a lighter note (if that's even possible in this thread), I have a memory etched deeply in my mind from a drive I once took in Florida. I was driving east on route 50 heading from the west coast into Orlando, and I passed a scene to behold: A big red pick-up truck with a giant rebel flag (I mean this thing was like 4' X 6') mounted in the center of the bed of the truck flapping wildly in the breeze. There's no real question at all whether the driver of this particular truck would have been in the 26th percentile. Much to his chagrin (and my amusement), he was driving his own personal "General Lee" a little too fast for the very large, very not amused black State Highway patrolman who pulled him over. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall for that conversation...

As for the rest of the argument, we make laws now to protect the teeniest tiniest minorities very sensitive feelings in this country. If a symbol as controversial as the rebel flag pisses off as many people as it does (and I'd wager it's probably not just the 12-14% of African-Americans who are offended by it), then it needs to go. There are always other ways to display your pride and culture that won't piss off a ton of people.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:31 PM   #20
Hawk Believer
Team Captain

Member Number: 1580

I have never bought the whole "it was about states' rights, not slavery" argument. What was the major "state rights" issue that led to the Southern succession? It was entirely about slavery and the fear that rich slave owners in the South and the related economy would be undermined in the future.

Many people forget that the Federal government never even outlawed slavery in the South until well after they rebelled. Lincoln had no intention of getting rid of slavery when he entered office; his priority was to save the Union. The Federal govenment had banned slavery in states that were to be admitted to the union, not to states that already allowed it.

So when I hear the state rights argument, I tend to ask what state right was at issues other than that of slavery and maintaining a slave based economy when the South abandoned the USA. Any takers?