Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Sports Dimension

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-19-2008, 03:26 PM   #21
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220
Default Re: THEY'RE BAAAAAAACK!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
When K coaches as many years as Dean I will do so; Deano coached around 35 years. When K gets there he is projected to pass your hero for career wins.

But Dean definitely leads K in number of cigarettes smoked if you are looking for a title that Dean has locked up.
Well... he's closing in on 30.... He started @ Duke in what 1982?
Old 06-19-2008, 03:44 PM   #22
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Coach K is a very good coach, but he's recruiting the same type of kids now that he was in the early 90s. You look at his last few teams and the one thing that just jumps off the screen at you is the total lack of athleticism on his roster, especially when compared to teams like Memphis and Kansas.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #23
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Coach K is a very good coach, but he's recruiting the same type of kids now that he was in the early 90s. You look at his last few teams and the one thing that just jumps off the screen at you is the total lack of athleticism on his roster, especially when compared to teams like Memphis and Kansas.
One thing I never understood is how he can never seem to find a quality big man (i'm talking 6'10" and up). I know the offense is geared around the outside game, but they always seem to have 1 or 2 REALLY BAD 7 footters on the team. Why is it that they just cannot attract a solid big player?

Other than that... I hate Dukes guts, but K is alright I guess. Again, he's Polish so thats points in my book! My high school coach is really good friends with him and tries to brainwash all of the players!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:45 PM   #24
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwalldavey View Post
One thing I never understood is how he can never seem to find a quality big man (i'm talking 6'10" and up). I know the offense is geared around the outside game, but they always seem to have 1 or 2 REALLY BAD 7 footters on the team. Why is it that they just cannot attract a solid big player?

Other than that... I hate Dukes guts, but K is alright I guess. Again, he's Polish so thats points in my book! My high school coach is really good friends with him and tries to brainwash all of the players!
Because they don't grow good centers in the suburbs.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #25
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Or Jersey.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:52 PM   #26
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Agreed - the nadir of the program was when he recruited tall stiffs Joey Beard and Greg Newton after the 1991-92 championships.

K recruited great talent from the mid-90s through around 2002-03. After Luol Deng left after his freshman year in 2004 (when Duke kicked away a Final Four win over UConn that would have led to another NC) and Shaun Livingston went straight to the NBA after signing with Duke , K has backed off recruiting the sure fire NBA star. IMO this is because; 1) until 2 years ago those talents went straight to the pros; and 2) for image reasons of not wanting to look like a basketball factory Duke will not consistently recruit players such as Memphis recruits who are good bets to be gone after 1 year under the new rules. In addition, Duke has simply lost out on some recruits recently; IMO the lacrosse fiasco heightened the image of Duke as a haven for self-indulgent, rich white kids that is not the best of all possible social worlds for most talented basketball players.

For whatever reason, Carolina is doing a much better job of recruiting players who will be drafted by the NBA but are not so good that they are lottery picks before their senior years. That is why Hansbrough & Co. are back next year, not because they have foregone lottery pick $$ in order to win one for Ol' Roy.

At age 61, K may have a final run left in him like Dean Smith did from 1993-97 before Dean quit, but maybe not.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #27
Jeremy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta Dan View Post
Agreed - the nadir of the program was when he recruited tall stiffs Joey Beard and Greg Newton after the 1991-92 championships.

K recruited great talent from the mid-90s through around 2002-03. After Luol Deng left after his freshman year in 2004 (when Duke kicked away a Final Four win over UConn that would have led to another NC) and Shaun Livingston went straight to the NBA after signing with Duke , K has backed off recruiting the sure fire NBA star. IMO this is because; 1) until 2 years ago those talents went straight to the pros; and 2) for image reasons of not wanting to look like a basketball factory Duke will not consistently recruit players such as Memphis recruits who are good bets to be gone after 1 year under the new rules. In addition, Duke has simply lost out on some recruits recently; IMO the lacrosse fiasco heightened the image of Duke as a haven for self-indulgent, rich white kids that is not the best of all possible social worlds for most talented basketball players.

For whatever reason, Carolina is doing a much better job of recruiting players who will be drafted by the NBA but are not so good that they are lottery picks before their senior years. That is why Hansbrough & Co. are back next year, not because they have foregone lottery pick $$ in order to win one for Ol' Roy.

At age 61, K may have a final run left in him like Dean Smith did from 1993-97 before Dean quit, but maybe not.
Maybe it's because the kids at Carolina and the kids at Florida just liked their coaches, their school, and their teammates.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #28
Atlanta Dan
Resigned
Supporter

Member Number: 728
Thanked 5,779 Times in 2,672 Posts

Quote:
Maybe it's because the kids at Carolina and the kids at Florida just liked their coaches, their school, and their teammates.
Florida might have been for teammates (Horford was a lottery level player although he grew into it his senior year)

With Carolina I doubt it; three players considered the draft and pulled out within an hour of the deadline to declare only after realizing their dim prospects while Hansbrough (alleged 6'6", not the 6'9" "official height, with no hops or outside shot) knows he was not going in the top half of the first round.

College ball is all about the Benjamins - nothing wrong with that but it is what it is.
Atlanta Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 10:39 PM   #29
millwalldavey
Head Coach

In all honesty... the Carolina 4 will be dominant this year, because they are succeeding at the highest level they will likely be successful at. TH will never be a good pro.

Which I could care less about because once they leave UNC I could care less about the NBA.

Carolin already has about 56 great recruits lined up for the next 2 years. Admittedly, UNC and DUke, once the top of the heap are starting to lose out on the top recruits.