Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NFL Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Giants Giants
August 9th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 06-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #1
TasmanianTroy271
Team Captain

Member Number: 544
Default The 2005 NFL Draft

Looking back at the first round, it's not that astounding...

1. 49ers - Alex Smith
2. Dolphins - Ronnie Brown
3. Browns - Braylon Edwards
4. Bears - Cedric Benson
5. Buccaneers - Carnell Williams
6. Titans - Adam Jones
7. Vikings - Troy Williamson
8. Cardinals - Antrel Rolle
9. Redskins - Carlos Rogers
10. Lions - Mike Williams
11. Cowboys - Demarcus Ware
12. Chargers - Shawne Merriman
13. Saints - Jamaal Brown
14. Panthers - Thomas Davis
15. Chiefs - Derrick Johnson
16. Texans - Travis Johnson
17. Bengals - David Pollack
18. Vikings - Erasmus James
19. Rams - Alex Barron
20. Cowboys - Marcus Spears
21. Jaguars - Matt Jones
22. Ravens - Mark Clayton
23. Raiders - Fabian Washington
24. Packers - Aaron Rogers
25. Redskins - Jason Campbell
26. Seahawks - Chris Spencer
27. Falcons - Roddy White
28. Chargers - Luis Castillo
29. Colts - Marlin Jackson
30. Steelers - Heath Miller
31. Eagles - Mike Patterson
32. Patriots - Logan Mankins

Of the 32 players taken, only half of them were starters last year. 6 have been released or traded (and not the good kind of trading). 7 have missed significant time due to injuries, and Cedric Benson, Pacman Jones, Marlin Jackson, and Mike Patterson have had run-ins with the law.

Looking away from the negatives, there were 4 Pro-Bowlers that came out of the draft, but in reality, I'd expect to get more out of a first round. Only Edwards, Ware, Merrimen, J.Brown, Miller, and Mankins are the only real stars to come out of that first round.

Now I only did research on this one round, but can you guys remember a draft this bad? or is it just that in this era of the NFL, players like Benson, Pacman Jones, and Cadillac Williams are being subjected to more media attention and it makes it more noticeable?
Old 06-17-2008, 03:12 AM   #2
Steelman16
Team President

Member Number: 6517
Default Re: The 2005 NFL Draft

Definitely not the best first round on record. Especially the quarterbacks. Out of the three chosen, I'd have to say maybe Jason Campbell is the best, and that's not saying much.

I'm glad we hit the gold at least. Heath is one of the best TE's in the league IMO.

Media attention? How about just plain dunce heads. Pacman? Sheesh, how much does it take to ban somebody! This ain't called the National Felons league for nothing.

The Bears really bummed that 4th pick with Benson. And except for that first year, C. Williams has been a complete bust.

The problem is not the current era of the NFL. It's what kinds of people this country is turning out of its high schools and colleges.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Any idea how many of those "busts" were guys that came out after their Junior Season? Being a 1st round pick while still so young and getting tons of money dumped on you is a lot to ask of kids that haven't fully matured yet.

Also, when you're dealing with "role players" Like a TE vs a "playmaker" like a QB, RB, WR or shut down CB, you get a different attitude in the personality of those type of players. Not too many O-lineman walk around with big mouths like T.O. and not too many TE's (Shockey in NY being the exception) walk around thinking their shiiiit don't stink.

back in the day, a Giants TE was like Bavaro, the guy never talked and just did his job. Those are the type of players that make it in the league. Team guys, not "me guys" and most of these busts are either Me guys or just over rated because they played at big time schools in college.

I'll take the kid from the school that went 8-4, but showed up every day and played his guts out and watched film, kept his nose clean and worked hard every year to get himself onto the field and is honored to be drafted at any number, over the punk arse mother effer that got into frat party fights, had questionable tactics while "dating" girls in college and thinks he should be a number one pick. Thanks but no thanks.
Old 06-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,397 Posts

Quote:
not too many TE's (Shockey in NY being the exception) walk around thinking their shiiiit don't stink.
so braylon "the soldier" edwards doesn't qualify?

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterOfPuppets View Post
I don't recognize him as a serious talent. Just a fool that got lucky enough to be on such a bad team he gets playing time LOL!
Old 06-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #6
HughC
Starter

Member Number: 8512

Given the amount of research that goes in to current drafts, compared to drafts from past decades, it's amazing how bad the 2005 draft has turned out. In hindsight the only top ten pick worthy of being taken that high is Braylon Edwards - although Ronnie Brown was also playing excellent last year until he got hurt.
HughC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:25 PM   #7
RoethlisBURGHer
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 370

1. 49ers - Alex Smith: If he doesn't do something this year he's as big of a bust as Tim Couch was for the Browns. He was supposed to save the struggling 49ers but has done nothing but squabble with the head coach and suck arse.

2. Dolphins - Ronnie Brown: I wouldn't call him a bust. The Dolphins are horrible, but he was doing well until he got hurt. Lets see how he does this year before we label him anything.

3. Browns - Braylon Edwards: After disapointing first few years (partly his immasturity, partly having Dilfer/Frye as his QB), Edwards came into his own last year and is a top-5 WR in the NFL.

4. Bears - Cedric Benson: Bust-o-matic! Finds himself cut and possibly going into a suspension.

5. Buccaneers - Carnell Williams: He looked promising until he got hurt last year. His injury is more serious than Brown's, but if he too can recover then I think he'll have a good career barring another injury.

6. Titans - Adam Jones: Bust so far due to his criminal history. If he can clean up his act and keep from getting suspended, he'll end up off the bust list.

7. Vikings - Troy Williamson: Never lived up to expectations...always dropped the ball.

8. Cardinals - Antrel Rolle: Being moved to saftey because he couldn't play corner.

9. Redskins - Carlos Rogers: Has't become a staple in the 'Skins defense, primarily plays in nickel and dime packages.

10. Lions - Mike Williams: BUST!

11. Cowboys - Demarcus Ware: One of the most dominate OLB's in te NFC if not the NFL.

12. Chargers - Shawne Merriman: Excellent pass rusher, however might have been because he was roided up.

13. Saints - Jamaal Brown: I can't find any info on him, which makes me think he hasn't played a game on the OL for the Saints.

14. Panthers - Thomas Davis: Good linebacker, fits the defense well.

15. Chiefs - Derrick Johnson: Bright spot on that Chifs defense.

16. Texans - Travis Johnson: Decent DT, probally second round ability so he's a bust IMHO.

17. Bengals - David Pollack: Career ending injury, otherwise he would have been a very good if not great player.

18. Vikings - Erasmus James: Bust so far, never made a defensive impact on the Vikings.

19. Rams - Alex Barron: Starter on a poor OL in St. Louis.

20. Cowboys - Marcus Spears: Decent DE in Dallas' 3-4 scheme.

21. Jaguars - Matt Jones: The change from QB to WR never really came to full bloom.

22. Ravens - Mark Clayton: IMHO, a bust...was supposed to be a threat in Baltimore and so far he has been fairly crappy.

23. Raiders - Fabian Washington: The Raiders traded for Hall to replace Washington who is now a nickelback for the Raiders.

24. Packers - Aaron Rogers: Ended up sitting behind a legend in Favre so we don't know how he'll do as the regular starting QB until this upcoming season. Packers drafted Brian Brohm in the second round in the draft as competition and insurance in case Rogers does well and leaves GB when his contract is up...or Rogers gets hurt.

25. Redskins - Jason Campbell: So far, the best QB out of this class...and that isn't saying much.

26. Seahawks - Chris Spencer: Starter on a good o-line.

27. Falcons - Roddy White: Drops a lot of passes, but also had the misfortune of michael Vick as his QB for most of his career.

28. Chargers - Luis Castillo: Huge cog in their defense.

29. Colts - Marlin Jackson: Has stepped up as one of the ebtter defensive players on the Colts.

30. Steelers - Heath Miller: A top-5 TE in the NFL and should put up huge numbers this year.

31. Eagles - Mike Patterson: Very good DT, good pick by the Eagles.

32. Patriots - Logan Mankins: One of the best offensive linemen in the league.

Wow, this draft was crappy.

Congrats to the 2009 Stanley Cup Champion Pittsburgh Penguins
RoethlisBURGHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568

how can u say that cad williams has been a bust??? he had a good 1st yr and was onm track 4 another good yr til he blew his knee out...

and the last time i checked.. pac-man wasn't convicted 4 anything

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:43 PM   #9
MasterOfPuppets
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 1990
Thanked 3,272 Times in 1,397 Posts

Quote:
my bad ......i confused him with the other dirtbag brown....winslow.

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -Thomas Jefferson

"The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers." - Thomas Jefferson

MasterOfPuppets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #10
RodWoodsonwasprettycool
Team Captain

Member Number: 8551

Quote:
my bad ......i confused him with the other dirtbag brown....winslow.
HEY.

KWII's not a dirt bag.

He was back then (Da U..Screw them), but I think now he's better. Last year at training camp I even caught him signing OSU stuff for a kid, was rather funny to see, and he just laughed it off.

as for Braylon, he showed a little bit of potential those past couple of years, but now that like everyone has been saying, he auctually has a QB, and more importantly an o-line to block for said QB, more able to get the ball.

I auctually have a theory that the reason why Big Ben wanted a tall reciever was auctually because he saw how braylon helped out the offense this year.