Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > General Football > NCAA Football

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Bills Bills
August 16th, 2014, 7:30pmET

CBS

Old 05-01-2008, 01:38 PM   #1
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Member Number: 5353
Default Just watched the Buckeye's Spring Game...

...and I have to say, they have to be considered front-runners for the NC yet again (and I know the hatahs will really hate on that), but hear me out.

They return 8 starters from the offense, and the offensive line looks more athletic to me than it did last year. Beenie Wells is coming off a 1600 yard year, and he was gimpy for half the season. He's definite Heisman candidate material. Boeckman should be improved, and I found it very interesting that Tressel was talking about running a Pony O (two RB's in the same backfield) which makes sense since they need to get Brandon Saine more involved this year. They will also be utilizing play action more, which is such a no-brainer considering the Buckeyes will still be a run-first team. I think the offense will be explosive this year.

On the other side of the ball, look out! The number 1 defense in the country should actually improve. The only significant loss is Vern Gholston, and Lawrence Wilson will be back this year, so expect little drop-off (Wilson can get after the QB, too, but he's a step up against the run). With so much experience in the secondary, they will be comfortable playing more man coverage, which will free up Lauranaitis and Grant to blitz a lot more this year. ST's will be excellent as always.

They'll have some tough games this year, since they play USC in LA, Wisconsin (who many have as NC contenders this year) in Camp Randall (one of the toughest venues in the Country) an ascending Illinois in Champaign, and an early trap game in Columbus vs Troy, but if they win out, no question they'll earn a berth to the big game for an unprecedented third year in a row.

Start cranking up the hate...we love it in Buckeye Country!
Old 05-01-2008, 02:24 PM   #2
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

Member Number: 2568
Default Re: Just watched the Buckeye's Spring Game...

Them having 8 starters from the offense return doesn't rly affect me.. they choked once and they'll choke again... i will say i do like wells and there d somewhat.. but still look at last yr and how crazy the yr was.. we could poss see another decent team like ku or mu get up near the top.. and so far i have heard that there are like 6 teams that could be in the NC... evryone has a chance..
lilyoder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 03:19 PM   #3
Jeremy
Banned

Member Number: 2579

Returning starters is one of the most overrated stats in all of sports.

That being said, if OSU can beat USC in LA they'll be playing for a MNC again this fall.
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 04:23 PM   #4
millwalldavey
Head Coach

Member Number: 6220

I'm a Michigan Die-HArd... but I can recognize... I think they are the favorite. Maybe next year even.
Old 05-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #5
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

evryone is a fav... are there going to be 5 champions this yr???
Old 05-01-2008, 10:02 PM   #6
touchdownward
Team President
Supporter

Member Number: 3188

Here is SI's preseason picks.
I also post this as an avid Georgia fan.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...=si_topstories

Blah!
touchdownward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 08:38 AM   #7
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
Returning starters is one of the most overrated stats in all of sports.

That being said, if OSU can beat USC in LA they'll be playing for a MNC again this fall.
Proposterous ridiculousness yet again. Experienced LB's don't matter? Returning DB's overrated (especially in light of the fact that they will be expected to play more man)? Returning offensive lineman don't benefit from playing together? Another year of starting won't benefit Boeckman? Wells?

It's almost like you just take the contrarian view to mine just to be a complete....ah...I better be careful. Nobody cries louder and longer to the mods than you...

Oh, as far as choking, USC is the king program for choking under Carroll. It could be argued that they choked against Florida (actually, they were just outcoached), but they simply lost to the better team last year. That's not a choke...losing to Stanford at home is a choke.
Old 05-02-2008, 09:49 AM   #8
lilyoder6
locked behind Xanax bars

but sometimes aplayer shouldn't stay a yr more it could affect them in the draft.. but yes i see where it's good for the unity of line and so fourth.. but still 4 a team who has choked the past 2 NC them returning players doesn't mean anything to me.. except they may make another run but either A: won't get there or B: choke again

Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy ~ Ben Franklin
Freedom: some use it, Everyone enjoys it, A few defend it.
Old 05-02-2008, 01:15 PM   #9
Dino 6 Rings
Living Legend

Member Number: 6891

Personally, as a Pitt fan, I think one of the NT contenders will come out of the Big 12 this season. Lots of good QB play down there this year, on Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, its going to be very tough to prevent a Big 12 team from getting in. Oklahoma did get themselve "blacklisted" with 2 huge championship game losses, and I think, Ohio State will be in that boat. You can't keep getting shots without other teams getting into the voters head. If there is 1 undefeated, and it isn't Ohio State, and OSU has one loss, I'd look for a different 1 loss team to get in this season. Just feel that its time of OSU to go to the Rose Bowl and get a Bowl Win again before they are given another title shot.

But that's just me.
Old 05-02-2008, 02:59 PM   #10
revefsreleets
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyoder6 View Post
but sometimes aplayer shouldn't stay a yr more it could affect them in the draft.. but yes i see where it's good for the unity of line and so fourth.. but still 4 a team who has choked the past 2 NC them returning players doesn't mean anything to me.. except they may make another run but either A: won't get there or B: choke again
Again, how do you choke if you are actually losing to the better team? They MAY have choked against Florida (but, see...when I tried to say the Buckeyes were the better football team, the SECheads were all in a tizzy...it can't be both ways), but LSU was just the better all-around footbal team last year. It's absurd to think that a Bucks team in a rebuilding year (and they were in a rebuilding year last year) losing a national championship game is a choke.

The Illinois loss was a choke, though.