Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Miscellaneous > Locker Room > Well Wishes

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers

LOL

Old 06-20-2008, 12:04 PM   #1
vasteeler
Team President

Member Number: 3341
Thanked 1,173 Times in 463 Posts
My Mood: Yeehaw
Default looking for advice

My three year old son has just been diagnosed aspergers syndrome. for those that dont know AS is a mild form of autism.While it is mild he still has trouble.If any of you guys know of somebody,have children,or yourselves have this syndrome,I would greatly appreciate your stories.I think he will adjust just fine after some therapy for him as well as my wife and I.Please feel free to PM me no need to make this a long thread just looking for some help.Please dont feel sorry for us we have a wonderful life and a great little boy whos just a little different and I can assure you I would rather have a child with AS then have a normal child that likes the Browns
Thanks
Dwayne
vasteeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
HometownGal
Living Legend

Member Number: 2413
Default Re: looking for advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by VASTEELER View Post
My three year old son has just been diagnosed aspergers syndrome. for those that dont know AS is a mild form of autism.While it is mild he still has trouble.If any of you guys know of somebody,have children,or yourselves have this syndrome,I would greatly appreciate your stories.I think he will adjust just fine after some therapy for him as well as my wife and I.Please feel free to PM me no need to make this a long thread just looking for some help.Please dont feel sorry for us we have a wonderful life and a great little boy whos just a little different and I can assure you I would rather have a child with AS then have a normal child that likes the Browns
Thanks
Dwayne
Dwayne - you have a PM waiting for you.

I love your positive attitude, your desire to learn as much about your son's condition as possible and your very obvious deep love for the sweet little guy.

My grandson has a mild form of ADHD and is bipolar. With therapy and medication, he is a healthy and happy little boy who is a straight A student, is active in sports and as sweet as can be!

The Anti-Wahoo
HometownGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2008, 05:32 PM   #3
SteelCityMan786
SF's Youngest Legend

Member Number: 541

Hopefully he can recover to Dwayne.

786 Ways To Score Touchdowns
SteelCityMan786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 01:36 AM   #4
BIGBENFASTWILLIE
Living Legend

Member Number: 618

autism, as well as aspergers is very common. Forgive me for not giving exact research but i believe it occurs 1 in every 200 births. I remember reading in my past class that it may be as high as 1 in every 20 births for aspergers. I am 1 year away from obtaining a teachers degree and many of my classes studied autism. Many of the students that I met, (3rd - 5th) grade that have aspergers or autism seem to be among the smartes in the class if not the grade.
I have experience with a student this past semester while i was student teaching. At the beginning of the year he was in the top of his class. As the year went on he became withdrawn and hurried through his work loosing interest easily. He was moved into a lower level class while his parents were taking him to different doctors to see why his "attitude" has changed from second grade. The doctors ended up giving him a small dose of meds that the student takes everyday and he was immediately placed in the above level classroom again and actually became more outgoing than ever.
From a study point of view both autism and aspergers are very interesting and seem to take a differt effect on each individual.

It is a very common diagnoses among childreen these days and I am sure you are finding out that many young children are being diagnosed.
My suggestion is to find out as much as possible about aspergers and make the proper accommodation that will benefit your child.
I wish you the best and know that you are not alone...many young children are being diagnosed....and the medications (if the doctor recommends any) are very helpful.