Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2013 Goal: $400.00 - To Date: $00.00 (00.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Steelers - Referees    Browns

Old 11-14-2005, 11:50 PM   #11
Prosdo
Banned

Member Number: 86
Default Re: Congratulations Hines Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlitzburghRockCity
Most of us have been around to see his catches too..from when he was first drafted and played on ST..till he broke into the starting lineup. What a treat its been to see him develop.
So true. The guy is something special. Glad I have gotten to see how he has progressed.
Prosdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 01:41 AM   #12
Koopa
Living Legend

Member Number: 508

well i already said congrats to hines in the gameday thread but i guess it won't hurt to say it again.......congrats hines you deserve it and here's to 546 more catches
Koopa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 08:14 AM   #13
SteelerFanInATL
Team Captain

Member Number: 369

He has always been worthy but now its a done deal. Have to get a #86 Steeler Jersey so
I can let the ATL know who the man is. Just like someone's signature says, Atlanta resident, native Pittsburgher (East Liberty).
Old 11-15-2005, 02:41 PM   #14
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

A fine landmark for Hines - when you factor in all the blocking he done down the years you appreciate how valuable he is to this team.

If the Steelers could develop a bona fide No.1 receiver then Pittsburgh would be a genuine double threat on offense - ground and air - Hines would be the best No.2 receiver in the league.

Cheers

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:44 PM   #15
clevestinks
Living Legend
Supporter

Member Number: 302

I still think we need a big time N01 deep threat. Then Ben would be able to complete his game
Old 11-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #16
tony hipchest
IRONMAN a.k.a. Tony Stark

Member Number: 658
Thanked 4,844 Times in 2,098 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livinginthe past

If the Steelers could develop a bona fide No.1 receiver then Pittsburgh would be a genuine double threat on offense - ground and air - Hines would be the best No.2 receiver in the league.

Cheers

NM
was that supposed to be as insulting as it sounds? theres maybe 10 teams hines wouldnt be the #1 receiver. probably only marvin harrison is more durable. jerry rice proved you didnt need blazing speed to get open downfield. pigeon holing hines as a possession or #2 receiver is a bit unfair. anyways who was #1 and #2 in the 70's? stallworth or swann? it doesnt matter.

maybe if the steelers develop a bonafide #2 receiver, hines will be the undisputed best
# 1 receiver in the nfl.

anyways he deserves every penny hes making as a #1 receiver and all preseason grumblings and media comparisons to jason kendall (singles hitter, cant hit the home run) are totally bogus.
tony hipchest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 04:02 PM   #17
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
was that supposed to be as insulting as it sounds? theres maybe 10 teams hines wouldnt be the #1 receiver. probably only marvin harrison is more durable. jerry rice proved you didnt need blazing speed to get open downfield. pigeon holing hines as a possession or #2 receiver is a bit unfair. anyways who was #1 and #2 in the 70's? stallworth or swann? it doesnt matter.

maybe if the steelers develop a bonafide #2 receiver, hines will be the undisputed best
# 1 receiver in the nfl.

anyways he deserves every penny hes making as a #1 receiver and all preseason grumblings and media comparisons to jason kendall (singles hitter, cant hit the home run) are totally bogus.
There was certainly no insult intended - in my opinion Hines Ward does not have the attributes of an elite No.1 receiver - and saying that there is only 10 teams that wouldnt have him as a No.1 receiver doesnt seem that impressive when there is only 32 teams.

There is certainly no factual basis behind your assertion that Hines Ward will be the 'undisputed No.1 receiver in the NFL' should they pick up another talented WR - that is wild guesswork at best.

Hines is currently rated at number 23 on the yards gained list - I am aware that the Steelers do not pass much, but by the same token he has faced only 4 defenses of any note this season - New England, San Diego, Baltimore and Jacksonville.

Hines is an excellent WR and always puts his body on the line - but I dont think you are doing him any favors by putting him in the same paragraph as Jerry Rice.

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 11-15-2005 at 04:05 PM.
Old 11-15-2005, 04:16 PM   #18
tony hipchest

there is no factual basis of your assertion that he would be the best #2 wr in the league either. sure its wild guesswork, hence the word maybe.

with only 9 games being played this year what team or wr has faced the top 9 defenses? what you have said about the defense he has played against is the same for all receivers.

comparing hines and jerrys naysayer's tales of lack of deep threat speed is very pertinent to the point i have made.
Old 11-15-2005, 05:02 PM   #19
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony hipchest
there is no factual basis of your assertion that he would be the best #2 wr in the league either. sure its wild guesswork, hence the word maybe.

with only 9 games being played this year what team or wr has faced the top 9 defenses? what you have said about the defense he has played against is the same for all receivers.

comparing hines and jerrys naysayer's tales of lack of deep threat speed is very pertinent to the point i have made.
Come on Tony lets try and stay with football reality here - first you tell me that Hines is the 11th best No.1 receiver in the game - then you question my opinion that he would be the best No.2...?

Logic backs my assertion, as does your initial opinion.

If you are saying that Hines is not a flatout speed merchant and neither is Jerry Rice then that is fine...I thought maybe you were trying to compare their talent levels - my bad.

I dont see why you cant pigeon hole Hines Ward as a possession 2nd receiver - thats exactly what he is.

NM
Old 11-15-2005, 05:52 PM   #20
tony hipchest

actually hines it easilly a top 5
6 receiver. he doesnt drop the ball. still theres probably 10 teams who would (mistakingly) stick with what they got. i couldnt see detroit giving up on r. williams, gb with walker, texans with johnson etc. you dont think hines couldnt go to seattle and put up steve smith type numbers in that offense? what good is l. coles or s. moss type speed if you habitually drop balls? for A SLow possession wr, he sure is wide open quite a bit. and its not cause teams are double covering plexico this season. im trying to think what wr has had 100 rec. in a season, had double digit td's before, and 4 time pro bowler?

put him on any team today as the #2 rec and wait how long it takes him to supplant the #1 guy. like t. holt supplanting i bruce. then theres the rare case of the cardinals where boldin and fitzgerald dont need a #1 or #2 tag. this is how it should be with hines.

i guess i take it like saying deion branch doesnt have what it takes to be a #1 wr in the nfl or be a superbowl mvp. and hes too frail to be a #2 possession wr. but he would be the best #3 wr in the league. this is a pretty bogus statement cause you never know until put in the position to do so.

" I am aware that the Steelers do not pass much, but by the same token he has faced only 4 defenses of any note this season - New England, San Diego, Baltimore and Jacksonville."

if you count cincinatti (they were or are leading the league in turnovers/interceptions) that is 5 of 8 notable defenses. (of course theyre not ranked 1-5, that would be a record...or something) s. smith has faced miami, patrits, and tampa bay. no team has really faced more than 5 defenses of any note this season.

i see youre logic but the same logic could say ward sucks because green bay (not a defense of note) held hines to 1 catch for 13 yds.