Why register with the Steelers Fever Forums?
 • Intelligent and friendly discussions.
 • It's free and it's quick. Always.
 • Enter events in the forums calendar.
 • Very user friendly software.
 • Exclusive contests and giveaways.

Donate to Steelers Fever, Click here
 Our 2014 Goal: $450.00 - To Date: $450.00 (100.00%)
 Home | Forums | Editorials | Shop | Tickets | Downloads | Contact Pittsburgh Steelers Forum Feed Not Just Fans. Hardcore Fans.

Go Back   Steelers Fever Forums > Steelers Football > Pittsburgh Steelers

Steelers Fever Fan Shop

Doc's Sports Get FREE NFL Picks and College Football picks as well as Football Lines like live NFL Lines and updated NFL Power Rankings all at Doc's Sports Service.

Steelers Fever Presents...

Steelers Bucs

GAMEDAY
Sunday, September 28, 1:00 PM
FOX

Old 11-15-2005, 06:32 PM   #21
Suitanim
Banned
Supporter

Member Number: 591
Default Re: Randel El at QB?

Here's a very reasonable question...Since Batch is out, and we don't know what's up with Ben yet, what if Maddox continues to suck open ass? I suspect he will. There is just nothing on any of his passes longer than 15-20 yards, which eliminates him from making 70% of the throws an NFL QB needs to make.

We need every win we can get in the ultra-competitive AFC. If Maddox sucks, Wisenhut is going to practically eliminate the pass from the playbook (not unlike he did in the latter part of the 2nd half of the Browns game). Would you rather have a VERY mobile ARE handing the ball off and occasionally attempting a pass, or the rubber-armed, statue-of-liberty-like mobility impaired Tommy Maddox doing the same?

If it comes down to a situation like the Jacksonville game, I say put El in there and play for the win. Maddox is completely and absolutely done...there's nothing left there.
Suitanim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:21 PM   #22
I.C. Lights
Starter

Member Number: 530

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suitanim
If it comes down to a situation like the Jacksonville game, I say put El in there and play for the win. Maddox is completely and absolutely done...there's nothing left there.
All in all, I'd take Maddox over El based on everything I've seen, and I think Maddox should get the start. But even a non-knee jerk guy like myself would have to agree that it's completely fair to treat this game as the breaking point for Maddox, and I wouldn't object to putting El in if, in fact, Maddox just turns out to be horrible again. You present a good compromise between giving Maddox the benefit of the doubt (i.e. at least get the first half of the game to show that this isn't just a slump) and effectively ending his career with the Steelers.
I.C. Lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:39 PM   #23
I.C. Lights
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24seven
I'm not saying they SHOULD put him in.. I said it could be a possible situation but most likely would never happen. Anythings possible so why are you trying to argue with me over a hypothetical situation.. Your saying he couldn't do it cause he would make to many mistakes is just opinion and nothing more.. You can't say he would be this or that without it every happening.. That's all i was trying to say..

I have the feeling you are reading my posts as angry attacks. Please don't - I really do play nice! I just disagree that it is "ridiculous" to choose Maddox over Randel El in light of El's previous maverick antics. I would hesitate to call anyone's opinion ridiculous when it's based on logical inferences.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:40 PM   #24
Randle el#82
Water Boy

Member Number: 813

if the pats put LBs as TEs and WRs as DBs i dont see why we cant try a WR at QB
Randle el #82
Randle el#82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 07:47 PM   #25
hicksfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 745

I live in Indiana, and watched IU play on occasion. I'm not detracting from Antwan in any way, shape or form but his succesful style of play (VERY run-oriented) doesn't bode well for a man of his size in the NFL. Give him an opportunity to have a clear view of the field (such as running the reverse out to the open and and line Hines up in his sights) and he can give you that added "umph" of another wrinkle that surfaces on occasion and he'll deliver.

Pretty wild, but wasn't it was just last year that Bill Cowher was calling Neil O'Donnell after Maddox went down? I don't think this situation is that extreme, I'm just saying there are several alternatives.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #26
I.C. Lights
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randle el#82

We can. But, the Pats do it because they need to, right? I think there's just disagreement on whether or not we need to as well. Let's hope Tommy doesn't put Cowher in the position of having to make that decision.
Old 11-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #27
hicksfan
Bench Warmer

Member Number: 745

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randle el#82
For an entire game? When?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:04 AM   #28
24seven
Starter

Member Number: 525

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.C. Lights
I would hesitate to call anyone's opinion ridiculous when it's based on logical inferences.
Here's some logic for you then..
Randle El's career passing totals in the NFL are 12 of 14 for 112 yards, two touchdowns and a 139.6 passer rating.

Now.. logic tells me that "maverick antics" don't much come into play when he's playing in the quarterback position. And I'm sure Cower would make it clear to him to not showboat or make stupid mistakes. For a guy that broke all kinds of records at Indiana I can't believe the lack of confidence he has in his fans since turning wide receiver. Nobody thought Stewart would amount to much either but Slash soon became a household name. It's just a 1 time thing anyways I think it would be fun to see what he could do. We know Ben is back after so what would it hurt? I almost can't stand to watch Maddox's slumpin shoulders,whiny face, and broken man look stumble off the field anymore.. Maddox will probably start for sure though.. And if he does screw the pooch.. give Randle the ball and just go for broke.. There's nothin to lose....
24seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 01:14 AM   #29
Livinginthe past
Living Legend

Member Number: 478

Im over at the the San Diego forum suggesting that LaDainian Tomlinson takes over the full time QB duties from Drew Brees - the guy is 3/3 47yds and 3 TOUCHDOWNS for 158.3 passer rating!

That is a TD for EVERY pass he makes - how have the coaches not spotted this before?

NM
They've been great for a while now, three Super Bowls' worth of great. But only this season have the New England Patriots become The Show, the must-see team of stars, pretty boys and reformed bad boys. Suddenly, the Patriots are not simply great; they're compelling, fascinating, appearing to be almighty and a touch lawless.
The Patriots didn't bother with swagger to start this NFL season; they went straight to defiant. Either you're one of them or you're about to get crushed.

Last edited by Livinginthe past; 11-17-2005 at 01:17 AM.
Livinginthe past is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2005, 06:00 PM   #30
I.C. Lights
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24seven
Here's some logic for you then..
Randle El's career passing totals in the NFL are 12 of 14 for 112 yards, two touchdowns and a 139.6 passer rating.
Ah, but this is the same type of logic that you called ridiculous a few posts back - generalizing from a small data sample. Anyway, it definitely works in your favor this time.

I just disagree that "maverick antics" can't play a significant part in El's, or any QB's performance. The QB position requires a lot of judgment and quick decisions and these decisions are even harder to make when the QB is pressured. Any player who is already susceptible to questionable judgment will be even more susceptible at QB.

Now, if we could control and pre-plan every play, then I would agree with you, but it's the reaction under pressure that concerns me.

It would be fun to see though. I definitely agree with you on that.

Last edited by I.C. Lights; 11-17-2005 at 06:09 PM.